RE: OCD
(11-03-2013 10:24 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  [Image: ki6BH9K.jpg]
[Image: syWgZJ0.jpg]
UUUUgh! That's terrible. Confused
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2013, 04:40 PM
When I'm obsessed with something, I feel like if I'm not doing THAT thing - e.g. moving an object from its place - everything will go wrong. And I don't believe in superstitions, they are just random - irrational - thoughts that come to my mind. It doesn't happen too often, anyway. Is this OCD?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
16-03-2013, 04:51 PM
(16-03-2013 04:40 PM)Chaos Wrote:  When I'm obsessed with something, I feel like if I'm not doing THAT thing - e.g. moving an object from its place - everything will go wrong. And I don't believe in superstitions, they are just random - irrational - thoughts that come to my mind. It doesn't happen too often, anyway. Is this OCD?
Does it feel better when you do it (whatever it is)? Like some sort of relief? And if you don't, is there tension building up inside you, so in the end you just have to do it, even though it may me something completely pointless? And do you feel you have to do it just the right way? If yes, it's probably OCD. I think a lot of people have it to varying degrees (in some cases it could be so mild, you never even realise it's OCD).

It's often harmless (other than the annoyance factor), but there are cases where it interferes with your life. And it can take some horrifying forms, too.

The worst part in my experience is that when I get rid of a compulsion, another one tries to take its place. So I guess it's a matter of choosing the mildest ones Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
16-03-2013, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 05:27 PM by Chaos.)
(16-03-2013 04:51 PM)Vera Wrote:  Does it feel better when you do it (whatever it is)? Like some sort of relief? And if you don't, is there tension building up inside you, so in the end you just have to do it, even though it may me something completely pointless? And do you feel you have to do it just the right way? If yes, it's probably OCD. I think a lot of people have it to varying degrees (in some cases it could be so mild, you never even realise it's OCD).
Yep. If I'm not doing that thing, whatever it is, I feel like something's gonna happen. And I have done some weird stuff in my life because of it. Confused

My dad also seems to suffer from OCD. All his life he collected lots of garbage, like trash bags, papers etc. And he showers for hours Unsure

I wonder what's the difference between OCD and autism? Consider

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
16-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm compulsive about the house being clean. Especially the kitchen...

But worse than that..I'm completely OCD over laundry. Even my kids drawers stuff has to be neatly organized...

It made them crazy so they begged me to stop putting their things away....just leave them in a pile by door?!

*twitch*

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Chaos, OCD ain't fun to have and the chances of comorbidity are quite high (depression, anxiety disorder, body dysmorphic disorders, etc.), but there are worse things to end up with. Plus, recognising the problem helps deal with it. Know you enemy and all that jazz... At the end of the day, all we can do is play the hand we're dealt and there are much worse hands than that.

Mom, sometimes neatness is just neatness. A desirable quality that I seem to be lacking sometimes. But only sometimes. Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
16-03-2013, 06:21 PM
(16-03-2013 06:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  Chaos, OCD ain't fun to have and the chances of comorbidity are quite high (depression, anxiety disorder, body dysmorphic disorders, etc.), but there are worse things to end up with. Plus, recognising the problem helps deal with it. Know you enemy and all that jazz... At the end of the day, all we can do is play the hand we're dealt and there are much worse hands than that.

Mom, sometimes neatness is just neatness. A desirable quality that I seem to be lacking sometimes. But only sometimes. Tongue

With laundry I tend to go a bit beyond, "normal" once my son decided to "help" me by emptying the dryer and he tossed all my clothes unfolded into a drawer. When I went upstairs to put something away, I opened the drawer...it was like I was looking at a vilolent crime scene. I nearly threw up and needed a "break". After, I pulled eveything out of the drawer, even the folded stuff, rewashed it all, dried it, pressed it and neatly put it all away.

The whole time I'm thinking this is stupid...I shouldn't be doing this. It just *felt* unclean.

The only other time I completely flipped out was when I discovered mouse droppings under the sink. The whole kitchen was drenched in bleach before the exterminator got to our home. Think that was when I learned not to mix ammonia and bleach.
Bleh!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-03-2013, 06:23 PM
(11-03-2013 10:24 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  [Image: ki6BH9K.jpg]
[Image: syWgZJ0.jpg]

Nice pics, Cosmo.

I can see that those could drive some people a little crazy.

Memory-smacks... taken back to childhood visits to Roman ruins ... being told that the creators of the highly elaborate mosaic floors would deliberately make a tiny 'mistake' ... a bit like their signature... standing for hours because I just had to find the flaw.