OH boy, dad I love you, but you are a fucking idiot when it comes to science.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2014, 08:11 PM
OH boy, dad I love you, but you are a fucking idiot when it comes to science.
So out of all days, my dad calls us. Not to say hello, and not to say whats up, but to talk to me about being an atheist. What makes this bad is he only talks to my sister when he usually calls. How this started is because my brother told my grandmother about it, and she was okay. Hell she laughed at what she thought my father responded to it. So after a while she went to my sisters concert. Later while giving za healing in TF2 my dad called and talked to my older brother and my younger one. Whilst stilling destroying hordes of snipers and soldiers with the pootis man I was handed the phone. It started with my dad talking about my mom saying my atheism was just a phase(remember that argument). This stemmed into what I know he was trying to bring into that he gave birth to me there for argument. From there he went into that an apple seed will always produce an apple, but then I said that it eventually won't if the environment changes. He went to the apple tree is still and apple tree because it needs oxygen, water and sunlight. I explained to my dad not all life needs oxygen. He asked what and I said some bacteria don't. He then went to saying that a human will always give birth to a human, not a monkey or an chimp. Hearing say monkey, I asked him if it was a the species level, seeing as like all apes we are monkeys. This steamed into humans not being apes. Despite the fact I told him we share DNA, and that he pointed out the traits that make us apes, he still said we are not apes because apes can't speak english and run a business and they live in forest. I tried explaining that even in the same family, species have differences. Seeing this he asked if apples and oranges are fruit. I tried to explain it is a bit more complicated than that. So I said know at first because they are completely different in a taxonomic way, but said yes because they are both fruit. So he said even if apes and humans(which are apes) share similar traits, they are not the same. So then I asked can ostriches fly, he said no. I said there for they are not birds. Originally I brought this up so I can show him the error in his logic but then he said they are birds because they share similar traits(I wish I noticed that earlier). But after that I went why are they birds, he said because they are in the same group. I then asked why. He said the same thing. Then I told him it is because all birds share a common ancestor. This lead to fruit again where he asked what is the common ancestor of fruit. I said I don't know botony well. He there for said everything else can not be correct because I can't answer that, but of course I brought up how I can explain the common ancestry of birds, he didn't want to hear that. Then he went back to the universal ancestor of life on earth. He then went to the big bang, and I told him that the big bang has nothing to do with biology. Of course he said it cause molecules, so he asked what is life made of. I told him different chemicals. He thought I meant life was made of chemicals different from anything else, but I told him that we are made out of the same chemicals you find in stars. He then went into we don't know what a star is made of because no one opened it up so no one knows. I told him I can explain how we know but he said I can't. This steamed into him calling it a theory instead of fact and I told him a scientific theory is the best in science. He said it is still a theory and I said gravity is a theory and cells are a theory. He then tried to say that is wrong by saying that he can dissect a frog and put it on a machine and say it is a fact, but I said it is still part of the theory. He then said it is still a theory and I asked him define scientific theory. That is when my mom walked in and took the phone from me. Last thing I heard that he said was that my soul was in danger. Good thing he did not say that on phone with me, I would break down that souls don't exist.Drinking Beverage . Why does this stupid exist in america? I don't know but all I can say is kanji just got a whole lot easier.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2014, 08:17 PM
RE: OH boy, dad I love you, but you are a fucking idiot when it comes to science.
Hug
09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
RE: OH boy, dad I love you, but you are a fucking idiot when it comes to science.
(09-12-2014 08:17 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hug

I did not think this was hug worthy, but thanks mate.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
09-12-2014, 08:20 PM
I feel he's doing what he thinks is best as a father. He's not doing a bang-up job of that. What he should've done was ask you why you're atheist, or why you're in that phase (since he thinks that).

Sure, he's afraid for your soul, but I think he went about it in a very weird way. It sounds like many theists who want to use science when it suits them, but criticize and avoid it when it doesn't.

All you can do is stay calm and answer his questions. He knows you're a thinking person, so he just has to deal with that.
09-12-2014, 08:29 PM
(09-12-2014 08:20 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I feel he's doing what he thinks is best as a father. He's not doing a bang-up job of that. What he should've done was ask you why you're atheist, or why you're in that phase (since he thinks that).

Sure, he's afraid for your soul, but I think he went about it in a very weird way. It sounds like many theists who want to use science when it suits them, but criticize and avoid it when it doesn't.

All you can do is stay calm and answer his questions. He knows you're a thinking person, so he just has to deal with that.

I was calm, the whole time, but I was trying to educate while he was trying to debate. I cry seeing such stupidity run rampant in someone.

09-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Quote:It started with my dad talking about my mom saying my atheism was just a phase(remember that argument).

My answer to that bit of bullshit was that religion was a phase and I had grown out of it. We never discussed the issue again.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
10-12-2014, 04:12 AM
He'll try something different next time. Expect some emotional manipulation next time rather than science. Maybe along the lines an eternity in Hell, how you cannot know that God does not exist, Pascal's wager etc.
10-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Paragraphs.

Use them.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
10-12-2014, 04:43 PM
(10-12-2014 04:29 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Paragraphs.

Use them.

This. I didn't even try to read it. The wall of text scared me.
10-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Holy Wall of TEXT, BATMAN!