OK Baptists to be compassionate towards gays

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2014, 07:07 AM
RE: OK Baptists to be compassionate towards gays
(12-11-2014 09:34 AM)dirtstar Wrote:  Interesting read in the DO today regarding Oklahoma Baptists. Is this a little damage control? It seems in order to keep up with the ever changing world and to keep the de-conversion rates down they now pledge to be compassionate towards gays BUT, dammit, they will stand against homosexuality! Facepalm

First of all...why can't they just choose to NOT stand against homosexuality if they want to be compassionate towards homosexuals? You know... the logical way to think. I think we all know the answer to that.

What you're looking at here is a long-standing tradition in the Christian handling of cognitive dissonance. They hold two contradictory views, and rather than drop one, they use creative terminology and/or word salad to simply embrace the contradiction while claiming there is none. They do this same thing with the Trinity or the notion of being saved by grace and not works. The Trinity is a way to reconcile Jesus being God while being distinct from the Father, yet not resorting to polytheism. The whole grace/works thing is to basically say that you get into heaven by grace and not your deeds, except for those deeds you totally have to do. They just call some of these deeds "works" and some "repentance" and act like that wasn't totally an ad hoc rationalization.

Also, I'm 90% sure their "compassion" isn't going to result in anything more than telling Baptists to feel sorry for gays instead of hating them, and to remind them to hate the sin, not the sinner. I don't expect any actual real measure of compassion to come out of all of this. All of the Baptists that I know on Facebook are showing no sign of backing down on their stand against homosexuality (or, the sodomite agenda, as they so affectionately call it).

(12-11-2014 10:26 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  If homophobia hadn't become socially unpopular, there'd be no way that these Baptists would suddenly, magically be becoming "compassionate".

Without a doubt. It's a lot like the Mormon church, in that regard. They always get these divine revelations about things like the treatment of women or black people... about a decade after public opinion has already shifted. I fully expect the Mormon church to soften their stance on gay after someone gets a divine revelation in about five or ten years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2014, 07:34 AM
RE: OK Baptists to be compassionate towards gays
What is it with religious people who don't get that "hate the sin, love the sinner" and variations on the term are wildly offensive?

That's a serious question. Anybody?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply