OK, I just gotta rant about this. RPG GMing stuff.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 06:21 AM
OK, I just gotta rant about this. RPG GMing stuff.
I have been running a heroes unlimited game for about two months or so now. going on about three I think, I came up with a really cool catch! Everyone is max level, nothing is off limits, you are all a fighting super hero team "with supernatural powers", fighting on a world that is loosely based on DC as well as a well established world that all of our past characters were from.

I had all sorts of my old roleplaying characters and ideas for them to meet along the way with a multitude of really good and bad endings for their inevitable victory against the demon lord that ransacked the earth, leaving its inhabitants down to a mere 1.5 billion humans and a pocket full of somewhere around 10 known super heroes aside from them that are scattered around the planet.

The first plot was a group of "watchers" invited those not from the planet to help save it before it is too late for what little resistance is left. Things are DIRE...so what did they do?

Well...they got the first step right! The first hero they were "forced" to meet at the beginning had a psychotic plan of just taking a small invasion force and invading Australia where he thinks the demon lord is hiding at. This would had led to everyone's death regardless of what the players characters powers were because I wanted the "direct" assault on him to be the suicide path and a path the players COULDN'T FUCKING CHOOSE...

So what did they do after you say?

1. Completely ignored static shock....period.....so this lost them the plot line and any reason what so ever to hook up with all of earths remaining heroes to give my players the bare minimal needed to take down the final bad guy via story time.

2. After the retard robot character in my players group phased through a wall and met the second plot hook, JACKLE...a were...jackle hero that is semi well known that the characters computer brain knew about and asked him a single question he didn't know the answer too....he left, never told the rest of the party of his encounter and never interacted with him....at all....you know?! Like how ANY supernatural character would during a time of crisis when they meet the only other supernatural character that is fully capable of killing the demons without a mother fucking TANK!

This plot line would had made them go through the rifts "portals" leading to the demon lords domains outskirts. Where they would had met up with the legendary heroes who disappeared years ago captured in this plane. Once they freed the legendery mega magnum and some of the others including some really fun and awesome characters, they would had stormed the demon lords castle and with his hq and the source that makes up his powers taken out that he stupidly left behind, they would had achieved victory that way.

3. I tried...I really tried but I gave them a SECOND character who even mentioned Static Shock and the fact he was gathering a team and she was a part of it to their face, they said no and let her go "right after rescuing her".

4. They freed Chronos - My final plot hook! Great job!

This takes the cake! First, he is obviously powerless, HUMAN and locked in a box inside a rift portal in a land different then the demon lords that had story connected to its origins. They accused Chronos of being evil, decided to ask him personal questions in exchange for freeing him ONLY if he wasn't evil and was going to kill the party members after it was already WELL established that he was a mother fucking human being, not psychotic like the other they met previously and was well mannered.

They got the information out of him that his plan "much like in any comic book, video game, or story book. Was to somehow find an artifact called the sands of time and travel back in time to before it all happened. This would had led the players to three possibilities, 1. to the time just before the death of a character happened that triggered all of this to happen. 2. Just before the rift portals opened and shut them down before demons came through. or 3. Before X even ( long story ) happened and take out the demon lord before I decided he would had become too powerful for all my players to handle.

Know what they did? Nope! Grandfather paradox, you are retarded. Mockery! here are my PHD's! ....in a mother....fucking world...Where Jesus Christ our savior God bible Jesus Bible, Allah, Amaterasu, Baron Samedi, Vishnu, ODIN, ZEUS, Alll the pantheons of every religion fucking ever with...OH! HO HO HO! Get this...and almost every character my players are playing is a godling too....yeah...ALL OF THEM FUCKING EXIST!!!!! HADES...you fucking name it!

Don't Concern yourself with the details of all of them existing, Heroes unlimited clearly states its comic books.....

and they fucking laugh at him, say NO! and throw him into the Bi Frost Bridge after opening a portal to there.

Its like....they never fucking read a comic book or watched a comic book movie or watched Bill and Teds Exellant Adventure or seen a single mother fucking episode of ...OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!!!!!! i JUST REMEMBERED!!!!!!!!! On their first fucking trip here...they passed the doctor from mother fucking doctor who.....

FUCKING SERIOSULY! I mean, I know I meant that a little bit as a joke but he WAS there flying around in the Rift portal stream they first initially took there in the first place...

So, basically..

They have no interest in a frontal assault
They have found the way to destroy the portals still left open
but once that is done all that is left plot wise is to kill the demon lord which they cannot.

They have zero interest in forming up with the last superhumans. Zero, ziltch, nada and none.

FLASH POINT! That mother fucking time the justice league went back into time to stop Randal savage from making germany winning ww2. Every time every super hero went back in time fucking ever.

DOCTOR MOTHER FUCKING WHOOO

They literally destroyed my entire fucking game. Not one character aside from Chronos which I had to severely cripple because they never would had met him on their own and gave them plenty of reason to try and investigate his past.

They never asked him questions about himself or his past or who he is or was or what he did. They never trusted him, assumed he was evil and tried trading all of his knowledge for his freedom when he was clearly anorexic and been tortured for a long time by demons.

They almost didn't give him back his clothing even. it took them a half an hour to decide not to keep his stuff and push him into another dimension.

They effectively shut down every single attempt for me to NOT get them all killed. I badly wanted to introduce at least half the fun people and had really awesomeness ideas of how each character would be, what their entrance could had been like and everything.

I had a non powered character who's only super power was that he was a museum curator and he had an elephant gun from the 1800's and a ww2 jeep lol. He was gonna be met in hell battling demons the entire time with his happy go lucky 1800-1920's slang terms like everything is just BOSS and uses stan lee's word Excelsior as his battle cry!

Like, fucking literally they shit on everything. They ignored all my plot hooks and unless they think of something extremely creative.

I will be doing the one thing I never thought possible in this game from how I designed it.

I am going to have to end a game with everyone loses without giving them any kind of a chance to do a final boss fight. The moment they step foot on Australia with the intent on frontal assault. I will declare

Game Over.

and I am really fucking pissed off about that.
Fucking....Retards.
Its like they never read a fucking comic book or watched a super hero anything between them.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2015, 06:50 AM
RE: OK, I just gotta rant about this. RPG GMing stuff.
"No plan survives contact with the players." - Davena Oaks, The She DM.

(The Lazy DM, page 4 of 8)

http://slyflourish.com/lazydm/lazy_dm_preview.pdf

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
02-09-2015, 07:33 AM
(02-09-2015 06:50 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  "No plan survives contact with the players." - Davena Oaks, The She DM.

(The Lazy DM, page 4 of 8)

http://slyflourish.com/lazydm/lazy_dm_preview.pdf

lol, thanks I read some of that.

But they have the small problems

1. Bad guy they can never possibly beat.
2. They refuse to collaborate with anyone and instead fulfill their selfish desires.

Basically, the moral of this story was that everyone plays a good guy and I gave them more then enough flex room for creativity and skipping plot lines. The problem is, they skipped literally all of it. They are skipping right to the part I didn't want them to go to. The only part that is the "worst ending" I had planned as a "joke" to myself.

All of their alignments would basically be Lawful good which is called Principled in this system. The moral of this story was suppose to be companionship, Trust and Empathy.

All of their character alignments reflect that but they have not once demonstrated it in character. Instead of helping a clearly been physically tortured human being, they ask them questions and then go into a fifteen minute long debate with each other as to whether or not they are a evil human. Hell, Chronos was one of earths greatest heroes and was as good as good could get but they will never know because they almost decided as a group to MURDER the clearly innocent and clearly been tortured human being with no powers and no indication that he is evil in any way.

There have been a multitude of chances I gave for them to express some sort of empathy, some sort of trust, some sort of team work outside of rallying military together.

I know how to work around player desires and edit my game. In fact, I have changed my game so much that it doesn't resemble anything like my vauge plans were. I basically had 10 characters. If they meet any of these 10 characters in the world somewhere which I would lead them by the hand to find them and then depending on what their choices were I would go with the flow.

Well I went with the flow of my players choices to see them completely skip all 10 of those people, make choices that fall outside of their alignments and some of their choices were CLEARLY Evil.

Two of my players has repeatedly shown murderous tendencies towards unarmed, non powered, non hostile, and FRIENDLY NPC'S. Which then the players treated them as a friend and simply just held them back from their murderous ways while treating the real good people as criminals and sendng them to other dimentions.

This isn't a problem of me not being flexible or putting too much into wanting the players doing what I want them too.

Its about a bunch of idiots playing outside their alignment roles and making extremely poor choices. I find them guilty of Xenophobia, and a complete lack of Empathy and Trust.

I have one last plan for how I can dig them out of the massive ditch they dug themselves in. This is going to be the bad ending. If they fail and completely ignore this last plot hook I am going to give them, there is pretty much no other option they can do but lose if they ignore my last hook.

I have counted all of them, in total they have ignored 10 of them. 12 plot hooks who are spanned over two months.

Each time they completely ignored one I changed my game according to what their decisions were and now its just a game of, oh look at how completely invulnerable I am! Look how I can never possibly take damage hahaha!

Thank you for the share though, I am unfamiliar with that book and it looks like a fun read. I will check it out more later on.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
02-09-2015, 07:42 AM
It's one of the reasons I dislike superhero games and prefer the old D&D classic model, where your alignment-related choices have consequences, especially if you gain power directly from your deity, and it's more than possible to force players to conform to their alignment setups. No matter how badass you are in the world of D&D, you're never the toughest thing in the world, let alone on all planes.

Perhaps the superhero concept is flawed as a game, or you just need to have a serious "chat" with your players about alignment choices. Remember that you are the DM, and regardless of what the rulebooks you're using might say, in the end, Your Word is Law™. They might be super-tough; roll up something that can hurt them, and make it clearly the result of bad moral choices. This may anger them in the short run, if they're emotionally attached to the idea of omnipotence, but it will make them better players in the long run. You get a more-contentious game, in the short run, but they will thank you in the long run if they're worth a damn as people or players.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-09-2015, 09:40 AM
If you want a plot hook to try and finish this game, given your setting, I would bring in Kyle Rayner as the White Lantern and the New Guardians. Have Kyle show up and if they try and fuck with him basically have him kick their asses (GM cheat, crit rolls, impossible to hit, immune to damage) given what Geoff Johns did with the White Lantern Kyle is practically a demigod at this point and he is always in deep space so it would make sense why he was not on earth.

You plot hook is to go and gather the rest of the Guardians (the leaders of the other Lantern corps) starting with Atrocitus the red lantern (who focuses the emotion Rage) and ending with the final and hardest to convince Larfleeze the sole Orange Lantern (Avarice aka greed) through a combination of fighting and diplomacy they have to convince all the others to come save Earth. Some, like Saint Walker, will require nothing but an explanation so I would have a major crisis they have to help him with (alien invasion of the Blue Lantern homeworld for instance) but play it up if you have some overly aggressive ones maybe Atrocious tries to recruit them for the Red Lantern Corps. The plus side to this is if your players get out of hand well the forces they are trying to align with are beyond their power.

Anyway if they manage to get all 8 (White, Red, Blue, Green, Violet, Yellow, Orange and Indigo) the Lanterns will basically set the fight by using their rings to make the Demon King Mortal (I dunno maybe the can shield off the battlefield separating him from his home plane and severing his immortality) thus allowing your team to face him alone. That way even though you have these unbeatable beings in the Lanterns your group is the one actually saving the day.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post