OK athesits, get me a job!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 05:59 AM
OK athesits, get me a job!
Well i've been an atheist for a year and guess what? I've had the same results as being a chrisitian. Now I'm not saying that conversion equates to success, but I will say that, as a christian, I had more hope during these times. As an atheists, that hope has been extinguished and there's nothing in return to replace it. And yes, I have a collge degree and a masters, I've sent out resumes and applications...even to McDonalds...and nothing. So now is the time for atheists to prove God is not the better option. Furthermore, this isn't a scientific debate, it's a put up or shut up challenge. Please don't take offense as a knock against anyones viewpoint among atheist, it is simply a legitimate request. I'll be waiting for the response. Thank You.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 06:49 AM
RE: OK athesits, get me a job!
How should the argument for whether or not it's compelling to believe in a god be swayed or otherwise based off of how you can or can't find a job? That seems odd to me.

Economical factors on the national level, local economical factors, etc etc... not to mention jobs and unemployment vary from city to city. It's easy to have hope in something that comforts you that you think is secretly working in mysterious ways to lead you down a path that you think will eventually bring you to something great (religion). Sometimes it can be comforting to think there is some magical sky god peering over your shoulder "testing you"... But the fact of the matter is, reality is sometimes harsh, at times cold, sometimes even depressing. Especially when things are difficult. If your cop out is "religion makes things easier" then that boils down to what's more important to you... the truth, or life being easier to swallow so you don't have to face the truth. At least, that's how I see it.

Being unemployed sucks. Period.

However, it is up to you find your purpose, to decide that you want something badly enough and to work for it, look for it, etc.

I've had friends with NO LUCK locally finding a job after a year. They ended up moving a few states away to find consistent work and have been happy since. If the local economy is a struggle and the openings aren't where you need them to be, it's not out of the question to look elsewhere.

What profession are you looking for exactly? Sometimes when work cannot be found you have to make work (odd jobs, side jobs, start your own business, etc) in a niche market to crawl out of a hole. I know a long time ago back when i was struggling for work I helped a friend build fences for local people. Didn't pay much but it was something. I also repaired computers on the side as well (that paid pretty decent) and made house calls for fixing computers too a long time ago. If you have a skillset, sometimes you have to put it to use until you can find an employer (or become your own employer).
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
06-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Waa waa waa.
Not "legitmate request".
Go get degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Will be hired two years before graduation.
Be sure and include Logic 101.
"A" preceding "B", does not prove "A" is cause of "B".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-05-2012, 07:47 AM
While I think most here will empathize with your being unemployed and I certainly do. I do not think many will buy into your premise (tenuous as it is).

I have had friends unemployed for a year or more and they were either being as picky as you can be in a good economy or had a degree that isn't very marketable and were determined to stay in that field.

My wife is finishing her masters in engineering and is being pestered by headhunters. What you are looking for is very relevant to the number of jobs there are as is location. She would love to live closer to her family but neither of us could find equivalent jobs there.

And Bucky is 100% correct in A preceding B does not prove A is the cause of B. Logisch is also spot on in that relocation may be required depending on skillset and local factors.

This may be just me but this "conversion" to Atheism drives me crazy. I have not converted to not collecting stamps.

It may be convenient to have religion in tough times but it does not make it true. Best of luck to you.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't think an attempt at emotional blackmail is going to increase your chances at work. It will in fact DEcrease them.

Become a plumber and you'll never be out of work again and make more than a doctor.
[+] 1 user Likes Scarlet Pimpernel's post
06-05-2012, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 10:26 AM by djgenx7.)
Thanks to those who could refrain from their snarky remarks. Moving, taking lower level jobs, etc have all been looked at. My point is that while having faith may not give you a job, and i dont believe it does, it does give you hope. Im not suggesting one relies on that hope becasue we have to do our part, but it gives one incentive. Atheism, in my opinion doesn't offer much outside of what one already posseses within themselves. I think the emotional element of hope is sorely underestimated in the atheist community. Believing on science, or within oneself, or on others doesn't always cut it. At least for me this year it hasnt. I wonder how many times peopl are in dark hours when they mutter under their breath for help outside of what they can see, or how many athesit fight the urge to do so, convincing themselves that nothng is there. Does that knowledge bring one comfort in your time of need, or does it leave you void, in a cycle of relying on oneself with the same result. I know how to stand on my own, I've been through more shit in my life then most people even want to imagine, and I'm still here, making it..but there are times, when I need something more, and I've found it. This year, I walked away from it, and still found no help. Perhaps there's a deeper meaning to the journey.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
06-05-2012, 11:39 AM
If you're a US Citizen, check out USAJOBS in your area. I can vouch for the employer. Not only don't they give a shit if you're an atheist, they're not allowed to give a shit.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
(06-05-2012 10:13 AM)djgenx7 Wrote:  Moving, taking lower level jobs, etc have all been looked at.
FYI: you need to do more than just 'look' at jobs. Lower level or otherwise.
06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
(06-05-2012 10:13 AM)djgenx7 Wrote:  Thanks to those who could refrain from their snarky remarks. Atheism, in my opinion doesn't offer much outside of what one already posseses within themselves. it..but there are times, when I need something more, and I've found it. This year, I walked away from it, and still found no help. Perhaps there's a deeper meaning to the journey.

The universe does not exist to serve YOU. Surprise ! It' s YOUR job, from the OUTSET, to BE SURE, the education, (in part at least), prepares you for the "market", which is there, and which is active, and functioning. Engineering, (or any of the countless alternatives), are not "lower level". Providing (baby) with hope, making (baby), an incentive is NOT the function of either belief, OR atheism. It's "self-cetered" either way. It's irrelevant. The value in either, is not utilitarian, (found what it "offers you"). The value in atheism has NOTHING to doing with (false) hopes. It's about honesty, and in fact precisely the opposite of cooking up false hopes, and provision of false emotional "comforts". I assure you it DOES take "courage" or "stoic resolve" to face serious disease, and one's potential demise, (in this case I happened to beat the odds), but being offered a false version of reality, to "make it all better", at that point, would have done me no favors. Are you justifying false gods, because you NEED one ? Everyone needs a support system. So sorry you don't have one. Why is that ? The "meaning" of the journey, in either case, is the one YOU chose to place upon it. Watch out. The "one" "they" offer .. is fraudulent. (And almost all the "meaning makers", don't know shit about their OWN meaning systems).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-05-2012, 12:21 PM
(06-05-2012 05:59 AM)djgenx7 Wrote:  So now is the time for atheists to prove God is not the better option. Furthermore, this isn't a scientific debate, it's a put up or shut up challenge. Please don't take offense as a knock against anyones viewpoint among atheist, it is simply a legitimate request. I'll be waiting for the response. Thank You.
djgenx7;
It may be that you are looking for a cause and effect that doesnt exist. Whether or not you believe in gods and demons doesnt give you more or less chance of landing a job. Praying might make you feel better, but it wont change the outcome.
Economic times are tough, especially in certain areas of the country. I would second the recommendation for USA jobs http://www.usajobs.gov/. You will have a better chance of landing one if you are willing to move.
I do not see it as an atheist's responsibility to prove to you that non-belief in religion is a better option. As an adult, that is an answer for you to come to yourself.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.