OMG PEOPLE! You're not suppose to stop!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2014, 06:59 AM
OMG PEOPLE! You're not suppose to stop!
It's a flashing yellow light; therefore, it's a green light.

You morons wasted fifteen minutes of my commute this morning treating a green light like a 4 way stop.

Idiots.

Morons.

Learn how to drive.

/rant

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
26-06-2014, 08:23 AM
RE: OMG PEOPLE! You're not suppose to stop!
I would say flashing yellow is more like a yield sign -- you slow down, look to make sure it's clear, and then proceed. If all 4 directions have the flashing yellow (which is usually the case) and there is a lot of traffic, it effectively is a 4-way stop. I mean, if they wanted you to just go on through at full speed no matter what, it would be a green light, not flashing yellow. Flashing yellow means "proceed with caution".

Having said that, if there was no traffic on the cross street and people were coming to a full stop, I would get annoyed just like you did.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-06-2014, 08:41 AM
(26-06-2014 08:23 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I would say flashing yellow is more like a yield sign -- you slow down, look to make sure it's clear, and then proceed. If all 4 directions have the flashing yellow (which is usually the case) and there is a lot of traffic, it effectively is a 4-way stop. I mean, if they wanted you to just go on through at full speed no matter what, it would be a green light, not flashing yellow. Flashing yellow means "proceed with caution".

Having said that, if there was no traffic on the cross street and people were coming to a full stop, I would get annoyed just like you did.

It was the latter.

Left turn had a flashing red light and the t-junction street had a flashing red light.

There was no reason to stop.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-06-2014, 08:44 AM
(26-06-2014 08:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-06-2014 08:23 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I would say flashing yellow is more like a yield sign -- you slow down, look to make sure it's clear, and then proceed. If all 4 directions have the flashing yellow (which is usually the case) and there is a lot of traffic, it effectively is a 4-way stop. I mean, if they wanted you to just go on through at full speed no matter what, it would be a green light, not flashing yellow. Flashing yellow means "proceed with caution".

It was the latter.

Left turn had a flashing red light and the t-junction street had a flashing red light.

There was no reason to stop.

You live in an area where people think electricity is a sign of god and are surprised they don't know how to behave correctly?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-06-2014, 10:09 AM
The law views a yellow light as "stop if you can safely do so without causing an accident". This is from an attorney.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
27-06-2014, 05:58 AM
(26-06-2014 06:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's a flashing yellow light; therefore, it's a green light.

You morons wasted fifteen minutes of my commute this morning treating a green light like a 4 way stop.

That is super annoying. One thing I can say in their defense: once some moron starts doing that, everyone else will sort of be stuck doing it until the traffic clears. From the perspective of the people with the flashing red light, they don't know if the other side has a yellow or red, so they have to cue their decisions off of the other traffic. All they know is they have a stop sign of some form. So, if they see the other side stopping, they'll assume it's a 4-way stop. This means, when it's the next guy's turn at the yellow, he may end up getting involved in an accident if he goes, because the other guys is expecting him to stop based on the previous driver. This will annoyingly propagate until there's enough of a break in traffic that it somewhat "resets".

(26-06-2014 08:23 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  If all 4 directions have the flashing yellow (which is usually the case) and there is a lot of traffic, it effectively is a 4-way stop.

Really? Wow. Maybe it's a Michigan thing, but I've never seen that. A flashing yellow will have a flashing red in all other directions. In Michigan, there are two ways a traffic light will denote a 4-way stop:

1) All sides have a flashing red.

2) The power is out at the light.

(26-06-2014 10:09 AM)Impulse Wrote:  The law views a yellow light as "stop if you can safely do so without causing an accident". This is from an attorney.

He's talking about a flashing yellow.
27-06-2014, 09:09 AM
(27-06-2014 05:58 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(26-06-2014 08:23 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  If all 4 directions have the flashing yellow (which is usually the case) and there is a lot of traffic, it effectively is a 4-way stop.

Really? Wow. Maybe it's a Michigan thing, but I've never seen that. A flashing yellow will have a flashing red in all other directions. In Michigan, there are two ways a traffic light will denote a 4-way stop:

1) All sides have a flashing red.

2) The power is out at the light.

I'm in Wisconsin, but now that you mention it, I'm not sure I've ever seen flashing yellow in all directions either. It's usually as you say: flashing yellow for one street and flashing red for the other -- and this does give right of way, such as it is, to the street with the flashing yellow. However, it's not the same as a green light, where you can just go sailing on through. I think you still have to treat it like a "Yield" and proceed with caution. If they wanted people to treat it like a green light, it would be a green light. Flashing yellow has to mean something different than green.
27-06-2014, 09:13 AM
I too have never, ever, EVER seen a flashing light with all four lights as yellow. There is one near my house that flashes yellow two ways and red the others.

And I lives in Texas. Hobo

So I say, Texas > Louisiana Tongue

27-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Big Grin
:

[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
27-06-2014, 11:45 AM
(27-06-2014 09:09 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  However, it's not the same as a green light, where you can just go sailing on through. I think you still have to treat it like a "Yield" and proceed with caution. If they wanted people to treat it like a green light, it would be a green light. Flashing yellow has to mean something different than green.

From my understanding, it means "caution". It's not the same as a yield, because a yield sign means you don't have right away, and you have to yield to any cross traffic. You can totally blow through a yield sign so long as you have good visibility of the intersection and potential oncoming traffic. With the flashing yellow light, you never have to yield to cross traffic.

I think part of why you don't use a flashing green is color-blind people. They wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They can only tell the difference on stop lights as they can check the position of the light relative to the others. That being said, I suppose you could pair a solid green with a flashing red on the other directions.

I've assumed flashing yellow meant "caution" to denote an intersection. I've also seen yellow/red lights go up in an intersection that used to have a stop sign to get people used to the signal several months before switching to a normal, timed signal.