OTHER churches (that you went to with Family and Friends)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2012, 10:43 AM

OTHER churches (that you went to with Family and Friends)
So, as a young kid growing up in church and as a preteen giving my life to Christ (sinners prayer n all, bitches!) I recall watching my extended family’s church habits with bewilderment.

My granddad (mom’s side) was an Arkansan Pentecostal. He’d pray out loud in his sleep, I shit you not! Exceptionally devout man. My cousin (who years later was taken out by a drunk driver) took me to his Pentecostal Church that was for a younger crowd (circa 1977). I was officially freaked the hell out. These people acted like they had lost their collective minds. I just remember hiding behind my cousin, who was not acting a fool, for protection. Screaming, Hollering, Cartwheels for god, dancing in the isles, waving of hands, shouts of proclamation, fainting, you name it…to my young fragile mind…it was insanity. Now, on my dad’s side they were all Methodist. Having been a southern Baptist boy…the Methodist seemed Boring and Tame. They only kidded around with baptism..as they simply sprinkled your head with water..as if to add a dash of a spice during cooking ….BAM! The services were monotone and the songs were dreadful. The staff looked clean cut and professional but the Music minister looked like JESUS! He had a beard and long hair, yet they embrace this oddity. Again, as a kid from a southern Baptist church…it was just odd. They represented to me a ‘liberal’ church. They had the basics down but it was loosy goosy and socially open to about anything, it seemed. Damn backslidden Methodist freaks!!!!

Years go by and I grow in my faith and my musical talents grew (personally and for the lord), so as a late teen ( 1988 or so) I was playing in Christian rock bands so some cool musician pals of mine that were into the lord told me of this new brand of church……Non Denominational yet evangelical (now known as Charismatic’s). I remember going to this place called “The Happy Church” and walking in and being literally blown away. The Energy was overwhelming. At the time I KNEW it was the Holy Ghost…but it was a bit off….oddly, so part of my believing brain said “Wait, this could be of Satan”, so I attended semi frequently but always cautious. It was Pentecostal- lite. There was all the theatrics, swaying in the spirit, a rock band too, lots of laying on hands, speaking in tongues (sometimes screaming), dancing in the aisles. The preacher was the best orator I had ever heard. Amazing preacher (who’s now deconverted).
Behind the pulpit instead of some gloomy looking JC, or a bloody Christ..it was a picture of JC laughing! Known as “the Laughing Jesus’ picture it set the mood and attitude for the services that would last 2 to 3 hours at times. I quit going there because as I felt a lot of it ‘played’ on the emotional element which gave it the overwhelming feeling of ‘the spirit’ and went to other Charismatic churches around town. Many of them splinter churches as POLITICS were KING in those places. Someone gets their dander up, they resign and sprout a new church because ‘god told them to’. “Christ the Rock” church was one of these huge Memphis organizations. The preacher, his brother, his sons were all involved. The preacher and his brother parted ways (ugly) and started his own church. Year later the preacher PROCLAIMED LOUDLY (so I am told) that he will be passing the leadership of the church TO his son..and that gods vision for the church was VERY nepotistic…and used Wal-Mart as an example (the Walton family).
That place went from the fastest growing church in Memphis with a bad ass building to now a joke of a membership hanging out at a gym somewhere.

I also worked for Strings and Things (music store owned by Christians..don’t get me started about this group of charlatans). So I’d often go into two types of ‘Black’ churches to make deliveries or installs. One was Missionary Baptist and the other was COGIC (Church of God in Christ). Both are ‘code’ for ‘we are a black church and don’t want outsiders’. I’ve seen preachers carry on about how a TV is possessed by Satan and it allows the influence of Satan to be funneled into your house..and commanding a exorcism of the parishioners TV sets! And I have seen COGIC ministers with their wives on Sunday and with girlfriends the night before!!!
ALL of this was peppered with the fact that I was a Card Carrying Member of a Baptist Church. Odd thing about southern Baptist membership. You fill out a card when you become a member, that card asks you where you have been attending. Once you claim membership, the new church sends a letter to the old church explaining as such. Like dogs pissing to mark territory.

All the OTHER churches seemed like just that OTHER churches, never really felt like ‘home’ to me…like the Southern Baptist churches that I grew up in did.

Any of you wander around to ‘other churches’ via family or friends?
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
19-03-2012, 11:51 AM
RE: OTHER churches (that you went to with Family and Friends)
I was a different flavor Baptist, but the same basic outlook.

I went to a couple of the crazy Pentecostal services. Loved the music but the bizarre behavior was too much most of the time. The other extreme was to attend Catholic, Episcopalian or Orthodox services. These seemed VERY foreign, yet there was something cool about the liturgy and tradition. Especially in the Orthodox tradition which claims not to have changed much since the 3rd Century.

The strangest of all, at the time, was visiting a Metropolitan Community Church in West Hollywood. This is an "inclusive" church, but in West Hollywood, it was completely gay/lesbian. I remember the sermon by the Lesbian pastor was about how Esau must have felt ostracized when Jacob, the younger, was chosen over the elder by tricking and deceiving their blind father. Momma loved Jacob more than Esau. How dysfunctional! Then came communion...They held up a Common Cup and I panicked. This was 1989 in West Hollywood at the height of the AIDS epidemic and I was faced with the choice of taking communion and risking AIDS or not taking communion and looking like a bigot. Fortunately, it turned out to just be a "symbolic" communion where they talked about it, but didn't actually serve the elements.

Good times.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-03-2012, 11:59 AM

(19-03-2012 11:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I was a different flavor Baptist, but the same basic outlook.

I went to a couple of the crazy Pentecostal services. Loved the music but the bizarre behavior was too much most of the time. The other extreme was to attend Catholic, Episcopalian or Orthodox services. These seemed VERY foreign, yet there was something cool about the liturgy and tradition. Especially in the Orthodox tradition which claims not to have changed much since the 3rd Century.

The strangest of all, at the time, was visiting a Metropolitan Community Church in West Hollywood. This is an "inclusive" church, but in West Hollywood, it was completely gay/lesbian. I remember the sermon by the Lesbian pastor was about how Esau must have felt ostracized when Jacob, the younger, was chosen over the elder by tricking and deceiving their blind father. Momma loved Jacob more than Esau. How dysfunctional! Then came communion...They held up a Common Cup and I panicked. This was 1989 in West Hollywood at the height of the AIDS epidemic and I was faced with the choice of taking communion and risking AIDS or not taking communion and looking like a bigot. Fortunately, it turned out to just be a "symbolic" communion where they talked about it, but didn't actually serve the elements.

Good times.

Well, glad you didnt get The Aids at church! Whew! Close one!

Here in memphis there were and are several Gay churches. An OUT family member took me one sunday, as i was VERY curious. Talk about bizzare and out of touch. Guess they've looked past the part about how GOD dislikes them. Oh well, i simply saw it as ' good people holding on to tradition '

Went to a catholic church once. I got more cardio than i did in the pews at a Southern Baptist church! Up and Down and Up and down.

D
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
19-03-2012, 12:28 PM
(19-03-2012 11:59 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(19-03-2012 11:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I was a different flavor Baptist, but the same basic outlook.

Good times.

Here in memphis there were and are several Gay churches. An OUT family member took me one sunday, as i was VERY curious. Talk about bizzare and out of touch. Guess they've looked past the part about how GOD dislikes them. Oh well, i simply saw it as ' good people holding on to tradition '

Went to a catholic church once. I got more cardio than i did in the pews at a Southern Baptist church! Up and Down and Up and down.

D

Yeah, the Catholic Mass I went to, I couldn't help being a rebel. Their stance on the Eucharist is only Catholics can take it. I figured, I'm a True Believer, who are they to keep the Lord's Body and Blood away from me. My impression was it was pretty cool to have a sip of wine on an empty stomach in the morning. Sure it wasn't much, but it was enough to feel the Divine Presence in my Belly!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-03-2012, 02:05 PM
(19-03-2012 12:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-03-2012 11:59 AM)Denicio Wrote:  

Good times.

D

Yeah, the Catholic Mass I went to, I couldn't help being a rebel. Their stance on the Eucharist is only Catholics can take it. I figured, I'm a True Believer, who are they to keep the Lord's Body and Blood away from me. My impression was it was pretty cool to have a sip of wine on an empty stomach in the morning. Sure it wasn't much, but it was enough to feel the Divine Presence in my Belly!

Not only Catholics, confessed catholics, you have to be without sin to receive the lord's body Tongue

I never went to another church, I was Catholic back then and I remember I made the sign of the cross when passing by some other church and my parents told me I shouldn't because that wasn't a Catholic church, I thought it was kind of stupid to have all those divisions and that god surely didn't cared. I guess that was the seed that grew to be a beautiful atheism tree Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 4 users Like nach_in's post
19-03-2012, 08:37 PM
You know you're in a Catholic Church because of the smell. I used to think it was what God smelled like when I was a kid. I've been to the big industrial box churches to see speakers like Lee Strobel. These are not churches like you would think. They are revenue generators plain and simple.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
19-03-2012, 08:51 PM
In the town I consider my home town there was one church until I was in my teens. We had a Catholic Basilica. The only public school was the kindergarten. Not much opportunity for exposure to anything other than Roman Catholic. The same was true for most of the towns around us. The second "church" was a fellowship hall for the witnesses that crept into town.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
19-03-2012, 08:53 PM
(19-03-2012 08:37 PM)Thomas Wrote:  You know you're in a Catholic Church because of the smell. I used to think it was what God smelled like when I was a kid. I've been to the big industrial box churches to see speakers like Lee Strobel. These are not churches like you would think. They are revenue generators plain and simple.

That's an interesting observation. When I was a Christian I was pretty skeptical about mega-churches. They seemed more suited to serving the lowest common Christian denominator in order to get the crowds in with good entertainment. As a True Believer, I felt this diluted the importance of discipleship. Although on my way out of theism, I did have a short pit stop at a mega-church. It was entertaining, and that's where I too heard Lee Strobel speak one time.

The thing that did make me at least a little nauseous was how those Orange County "elites" were so proud of their multi-million dollar "Campus" (can't call it a church because that's passe), and their multi-million dollar budget. I don't think mythical Jesus is too pleased by their diverting resources away from caring for the poor...

~Izel
19-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh! I remember now, I once went with some friends to one of those weird churches where people get their demons out and that kind of stuff, it was a "purification" night, oh the hilarity was ensued, we entered and we indeed couldn't stop laughing, I tell you guys I used to be an amateur actor so I know how to stop laughing when it's necessary, and that day I couldn't, I had to leave because I almost pissed my pants Tongue

But then I got back in and we had to troll the pastor, we invented some stupid story about me getting a girl (friend of mine) pregnant and other stuff like that, I don't know how I managed to hear that man talk with a straight face.

On the other side, I was really angry because of the way that people exploited the spirituality of people, that church is a scam and a fraud, that helped a bit to not laugh at the pastor, the trolling was successful and deserved Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
20-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Boy does Memphis have a Mega Church. You can see it from the main Interstate due to 3 VERY LARGE crosses. Truckers call it "Six Flags over Jesus"
Its a 350 acre complex that has an auditorium that seats 7000 people at one time (during easter they will have 2 or 3 services).
You can EASILY get lost in this building.

It was the last place i officially attended before my deconversion. I went there mainly cuz its EASY to get lost in the masses. In a Small Southern Baptist Church, they know the second a visitor walks in...but in Bellevue...never!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellevue_Baptist_Church

At Bellevue the ministers will even tell you, push you, insist that you get involved in a sunday school class as thats the only way to get connected other wise you'll get lost in the masses. They know this as a fact! Pretty sad admission i must confess.

The crosses even get a special mention in Wiki.

Three large crosses, visible from Interstate 40, mark the church’s location. The center cross is 150 feet high with two flanking crosses at 120 feet. The crosses are engineered to withstand 70-mph winds and are constructed of four pieces of structural steel and angle iron painted white.[40] The landmark crosses were dedicated at a special ceremony with choir, orchestra, and hundreds of church members at midnight on New Year’s Eve, 1999.[3] In September 2008 the three crosses became the central image in the church logo.[40]

This place is basically a Manufacturing plant for Christan's. Its had a huge influence in the nation, as the former pastor was the HEAD of the Southern Baptist Convention for YEARS and YEARS. It is a money making monster too! Jesus would be proud of his corporate identity! Just looking at that place reminds me of ALL the stuff JC spoke about at The Sermon on the Mount! (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post