OTHER churches (that you went to with Family and Friends)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 01:45 PM
RE: OTHER churches (that you went to with Family and Friends)
(20-03-2012 10:14 AM)Denicio Wrote:  It was the last place i officially attended before my deconversion. I went there mainly cuz its EASY to get lost in the masses. In a Small Southern Baptist Church, they know the second a visitor walks in...but in Bellevue...never!

Interesting to me that the intent of the mega church is to provide a shiny clean image that will hopefully attract non-believers to come and hear the Gospel of Jesus put into practical, 21st Century terms.

Yet, here we have, anecdotally to be sure, 2 Atheists who attended Megachurches on their way out of Christianity because they wanted to get lost in the crowd! I bet they don't even know they have such a great ministry to future atheists!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Ok, so after making my "bold" observation about mega churches and new atheists, today I was listening to a "Life After Faith" podcast with an interview with Dr. Darrell Ray.

I only have his hearsay evidence to go on, but he stated that out of 10,000 atheists surveyed, 28% of former Christians who have been atheists for 5 years or less came out of non-denominational Mega Churches. That was the highest type of church feeding atheists into society. The second highest church would be former Catholics becoming atheists.

Quite an amazing percentage. Especially when their mission is supposedly to gain new converts.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-03-2012, 02:22 PM

(21-03-2012 01:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, so after making my "bold" observation about mega churches and new atheists, today I was listening to a "Life After Faith" podcast with an interview with Dr. Darrell Ray.

I only have his hearsay evidence to go on, but he stated that out of 10,000 atheists surveyed, 28% of former Christians who have been atheists for 5 years or less came out of non-denominational Mega Churches. That was the highest type of church feeding atheists into society. The second highest church would be former Catholics becoming atheists.

Quite an amazing percentage. Especially when their mission is supposedly to gain new converts.

I'm frantically looking for that podcast NOW!

Does that podcast go by a certian name?

D
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2012, 03:37 PM
(21-03-2012 02:22 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(21-03-2012 01:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, so after making my "bold" observation about mega churches and new atheists, today I was listening to a "Life After Faith" podcast with an interview with Dr. Darrell Ray.

D

Yeah, my bad for not posting it. The Living After Faith Podcast.

The one I referred to was:
Quote:Sex and God - Episode 45
A new book will be out soon that will change the way you look at sex and your own sexuality. It's called "Sex and God" and in this episode we talk with author Dr. Darrel Ray about some of the most interesting parts of the book.

I heard about the LAF podcast on Seth's podcast, "Living After Faith - Feb 29,2012"

Rich Lyons was Seth's guest...at the very end of the podcast. It wasn't one of Seth's best, but he had this guy on the last 5 minutes or so.
Rich Lyons was a Pentecostal preacher for 20 years. He's now in Seattle and doing a "ministry" to people hurt by religion. He has A LOT to say about adjusting from Christian sex (or lack of it) to Atheist sex. I was encouraged to learn I'm not the only hoplessly unlaid bastard out there who is too fucked up to fuck because of religion.

Anyway, because he's active in some Seattle area groups, I sent him an email and hope maybe I can get hooked up with this guy.

~Izel
21-03-2012, 04:10 PM

(21-03-2012 03:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-03-2012 02:22 PM)Denicio Wrote:  

D

Yeah, my bad for not posting it. The Living After Faith Podcast.

The one I referred to was:
Quote:Sex and God - Episode 45
A new book will be out soon that will change the way you look at sex and your own sexuality. It's called "Sex and God" and in this episode we talk with author Dr. Darrel Ray about some of the most interesting parts of the book.

I heard about the LAF podcast on Seth's podcast, "Living After Faith - Feb 29,2012"

Rich Lyons was Seth's guest...at the very end of the podcast. It wasn't one of Seth's best, but he had this guy on the last 5 minutes or so.
Rich Lyons was a Pentecostal preacher for 20 years. He's now in Seattle and doing a "ministry" to people hurt by religion. He has A LOT to say about adjusting from Christian sex (or lack of it) to Atheist sex. I was encouraged to learn I'm not the only hoplessly unlaid bastard out there who is too fucked up to fuck because of religion.

Anyway, because he's active in some Seattle area groups, I sent him an email and hope maybe I can get hooked up with this guy.

So to be totally clear, the stats from the Megachurch came from episode 45?

I am eagerly downloading MANY of the LAF podcasts now. I LOVE new and quality podcasts. Sadly many in the atheist community are just plain terrible!
21-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I once attended a charismatic church with a cousin. At first, the songs were very slow and soft. Then the choir switched to a louder song, and sang faster and louder. A man sitting in the front pew began to shake and sweat uncontrollably to the point where a couple of people had to take off his coat. Then people started running laps around the sanctuary and screaming. They called that madness the work of the holy spirit.

Sad

God is a personification of who we are, what we wish to be, and that which we do not understand.
22-03-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 06:02 AM by Erxomai.)

~Izel
22-03-2012, 08:00 AM

(21-03-2012 04:35 PM)Stardust Wrote:  I once attended a charismatic church with a cousin. At first, the songs were very slow and soft. Then the choir switched to a louder song, and sang faster and louder. A man sitting in the front pew began to shake and sweat uncontrollably to the point where a couple of people had to take off his coat. Then people started running laps around the sanctuary and screaming. They called that madness the work of the holy spirit.

Sad

THAT is by design, i assure you. They fully understand the power of music and use it to trigger those emotional switches.
22-03-2012, 08:16 AM
My bad, Dude, and anyone else who wants to listen to that podcast. It's not 45, it's Episode 28: Atheists Fuck Better! Big Grin

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post