OXFORD DID WHAT NOW?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2013, 06:43 PM
OXFORD DID WHAT NOW?
I wasn't sure where else to put this thread, so I put it here, seeing as how Oxford is affiliated with words.

Now, I am a fan of of the English language, despite it's numerous and evident flaws, and I enjoy much classic literature such as The History of the Kings of Britain, and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. I am therefore apposed to the recent slang words and abbreviated texts that have recently begun to manifest the internet. So you may imagine my rightful consternation upon stumbling across this article: http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/28/living/oxf...-new-words

Oh Oxford; how the loss of your previous reliability has filled me with much rage, but just as much, if not more sorrow.

Weeping

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2013, 06:46 PM
RE: OXFORD DID WHAT NOW?
(29-08-2013 06:43 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  I wasn't sure where else to put this thread, so I put it here, seeing as how Oxford is affiliated with words.

Now, I am a fan of of the English language, despite it's numerous and evident flaws, and I enjoy much classic literature such as The History of the Kings of Britain, and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. I am therefore apposed to the recent slang words and abbreviated texts that have recently begun to manifest the internet. So you may imagine my rightful consternation upon stumbling across this article: http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/28/living/oxf...-new-words

Oh Oxford; how the loss of your previous reliability has filled me with much rage, but just as much, if not more sorrow.

Weeping

Ummm, Hunchback is a French novel. Dodgy

And languages change.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-08-2013, 06:48 PM
If you think that's bad...

...well don't read this article.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3829770

It's a trend with Oxford. I mean, do you think they'd let another dictionary beat them to it?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
29-08-2013, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2013 06:57 PM by TSG.)
(29-08-2013 06:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-08-2013 06:43 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  I wasn't sure where else to put this thread, so I put it here, seeing as how Oxford is affiliated with words.

Weeping

Ummm, Hunchback is a French novel. Dodgy

And languages change.

There is an English translation you know, and I enjoy it. And Kings of Britain was written in Latin originally. Dodgy And about the languages change thing, do you really want the generation succeeding me to go around writing essays with words like Zomg and Derp? Sheesh, some people.

29-08-2013, 06:51 PM
(29-08-2013 06:48 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  If you think that's bad...

...well don't read this article.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3829770

It's a trend with Oxford. I mean, do you think they'd let another dictionary beat them to it?

GAH! MY EYES! Sadcryface2

29-08-2013, 06:56 PM
(29-08-2013 06:49 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(29-08-2013 06:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ummm, Hunchback is a French novel

And languages change.

There is an English translation you know, and I enjoy it. And Kings of Britain was written in Latin originally. Dodgy And about the languages change thing, do you really want the generation succeeding me to go around writing essays with words like Zomg and Derp? Sheesh, some people.

29-08-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2013 08:17 PM by Chas.)
(29-08-2013 06:56 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(29-08-2013 06:49 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  There is an English translation you know, and I enjoy it. And Kings of Britain was written in Latin originally. Dodgy And about the languages change thing, do you really want the generation succeeding me to go around writing essays with words like Zomg and Derp? Sheesh, some people.

If language didn't change and evolve, we'd still be ...

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye-
(So priketh hem Nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke
That hem hath holpen, whan that they were seeke.

-or-

[Image: Beowulf.firstpage.jpeg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
29-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Teen-skeptic-go. Take a deep breath.

A cranky old man just pointed out to you what a cranky old man you're being.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
29-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Well-spotted irony, cjlr.

Chas is just pointing out that everything evolves and the OED is merely a chronicler of change and adaptation.

This applies to all of life.

With the exception, notably, of Peter Jackson movies adapting/changing classic novels.

I know my post didn't add much to the conversion but I had a FOMO.

Over here, we already had a word for FOMO: Kiasu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiasu

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-08-2013, 10:56 PM
(29-08-2013 10:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well-spotted irony, cjlr.

Chas is just pointing out that everything evolves and the OED is merely a chronicler of change and adaptation.

Thumbsup

I'd've marked him down for citing non-English literature as examples of English literature, but the others already had that covered.

... this is my signature!