Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 04:45 PM
RE: Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A
(03-10-2017 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Question:
Why do the English call condoms 'French letters', while in France they are called capotes anglaises #'English overcoats'#?

Huh

Don't know if OakTree can help with this one, but yours reminded me of this from music school:

"English Horn: neither English, nor a horn,
it is a woodwind instrument invented in France,
and not to be confused with the French Horn, which is German;
It is known in England as the cor anglais."

Huh

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
03-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Ok, here's one:

Are there any plans to rename "Bombay Gin" to "Mumbai Gin", and if so, when may we expect the update?

(Thinking fondly of the BBC, which continued referring to "Peking" for a good 15 years after the rest of the world had switched to "Beijing") Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
03-10-2017, 05:23 PM
(03-10-2017 04:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Question:
Why do the English call condoms 'French letters', while in France they are called capotes anglaises #'English overcoats'#?

Huh

Don't know if OakTree can help with this one, but yours reminded me of this from music school:

Huh
I'm just always happy to find someone who can play either instrument well.

[Image: 73b5d6df8890c19ace710450eca77c75--french...-jokes.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
03-10-2017, 06:29 PM
(03-10-2017 04:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Don't know if OakTree can help with this one, but yours reminded me of this from music school:

"English Horn: neither English, nor a horn, "
(03-10-2017 05:23 PM)julep Wrote:  I'm just always happy to find someone who can play either instrument well.

Proficiency in playing both the English and the horn would be most impressive. Somebody must've done this already surely?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-10-2017, 03:13 AM
(03-10-2017 12:59 PM)julep Wrote:  A lot of English guys seem to have great hair. Genetics, or some kind of special shampoo?
I'd have to look into it, although one would presume those of pure Anglo Saxon heritage might have thicker hair/more body hair due to the cold winters from this area of the world. I personally am a very hairy dude, which is the same going back at least another 2 generations, and my grandad having a full head of hair at 70 haha.

In saying that, most of my friends are either already are or are going bald, and they are all mid 20's to mid 30's haha.

(03-10-2017 01:52 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Does the average Brit really give a fuck about Northern Ireland......Big Grin
WELL, I think unless some of the people have a reason to, probably not. For me, and a few people I know, I have family over there and visit a fair amount so I care haha. I think "joe public" probably isn't fussed either way really, but not in an "I hate ireland way" but rather "They know it exists, so that's enough" way.

(03-10-2017 04:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Don't know if OakTree can help with this one, but yours reminded me of this from music school:

Pass on that. All i know is the Brit's are well known for just stealing stuff or naming things and not really bothering to actual care what it is/where it's from.

(03-10-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Ok, here's one:

Are there any plans to rename "Bombay Gin" to "Mumbai Gin", and if so, when may we expect the update?
Laugh out load Don't think that's under the governments control, but I'll ask the PM next time I see her.... Tongue

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
04-10-2017, 04:22 AM
Gin seems to be really taking off in Scotland now. I was in the highlands the weekend before last and stopped off at a garage / outdoor shop / restaurant / tourist shop that also had a large whisky section. They had significantly more bottles of gin than before. There is even a gin distillery in Islay now.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
04-10-2017, 04:48 AM
(04-10-2017 04:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Gin seems to be really taking off in Scotland now. I was in the highlands the weekend before last and stopped off at a garage / outdoor shop / restaurant / tourist shop that also had a large whisky section. They had significantly more bottles of gin than before. There is even a gin distillery in Islay now.
Gin is taking off generally I think.

It's become a "fashionable" drink, in the same vain that Real Ale has. It's popular with the ladies down this way.

04-10-2017, 05:00 AM
(04-10-2017 04:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Gin is taking off generally I think.

It's become a "fashionable" drink, in the same vain that Real Ale has. It's popular with the ladies down this way.

Yeah, there's a new Gin bar just opened in town, they do real ales as well, next door to a good Indian restaurant too Smile

Get your own bleeding hymn book
[+] 1 user Likes Thedemonbarber's post
04-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Do you like Harry Potter? And please tell me your middle school looked like Hogwarts and you had a pet owl. Tongue
04-10-2017, 07:49 AM
(04-10-2017 07:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Do you like Harry Potter? And please tell me your middle school looked like Hogwarts and you had a pet owl. Tongue

Laugh out load

I personally don't really like Harry Potter all that much, but I know tons of people that do. The first book came out when I was in high school, [our high school is from age 12-16], and we got made to read it for something in English. I didn't read it haha. My wife loves it,(has all the movies + books etc), and I even got her a custom made letter that is her "invitation" to Hogwarts for her birthday last year Smile

Unfortunately my high school was a big generic 70's looking square building, which had a giant sports hall on the side. The hall doubled as a roller skating rink on the weekends Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post