Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2017, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 09:08 AM by Mathilda.)
RE: Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A
I used to go to a school once that was a boarding school as a day student. It had a fancy tower. The same architect designed Buckingham Palace apparently. It wasn't like Hogwarts though, more like Greyfriars from the Billy Bunter books. It was one of only two schools still to practice corporal punishment before it got banned by the EU. It majorly fucked up my life for a long time. For examle by teaching cursive writing which ruined my once neat handwriting and led to a string of detentions in all the schools I went to afterwards. And being a christian school taught creationism. My brother went to it as well and he's now an evangelical christian whereas I am a militant atheist. The whole system was designed to make students conform as much as possible. I got my own back on the school on the last day though through the use of public nudity. I didn't have any control over my life but I did have control over my body.

Although I enjoy the Harry Potter series there are some aspects that really disturb me, like the houses in competition with one another. Here you have those in authority setting a completely arbitrary competition to buy conformity and punish dissidence by manipulating peer pressure. The students then are encouraged to see other arbitrary students as the enemy and to band together with those in the same house. The public school system in the UK traditionally used this system for training students to become officers who all died in the first world war (e.g. as depicted by in the Doctor Who episode Family of Blood which had a very similar school). Of course it's even worse at Hogwarts because the choice of house isn't arbitrary but selected based on who you are as a person so it teaches intolerance of those who are different to you.

Students then grow up trained to be manipulated by their government and to band together and be distrustful of foreigners.

I'm not sure I'd do very well at Hogwarts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
04-10-2017, 08:50 AM
(04-10-2017 04:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Gin seems to be really taking off in Scotland now. I was in the highlands the weekend before last and stopped off at a garage / outdoor shop / restaurant / tourist shop that also had a large whisky section. They had significantly more bottles of gin than before. There is even a gin distillery in Islay now.

I find this depressing. I thought the Scots had enough sense to drink liquor that tastes good (like Scotch Whisky) and avoid liquor that tastes horrible (like gin) -- leave that nasty stuff to the Brits. I admired this about them. Now I am so disappoint.

Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-10-2017, 11:15 AM
(04-10-2017 07:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(04-10-2017 07:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Do you like Harry Potter? And please tell me your middle school looked like Hogwarts and you had a pet owl. Tongue

Laugh out load

I personally don't really like Harry Potter all that much, but I know tons of people that do. The first book came out when I was in high school, [our high school is from age 12-16], and we got made to read it for something in English. I didn't read it haha. My wife loves it,(has all the movies + books etc), and I even got her a custom made letter that is her "invitation" to Hogwarts for her birthday last year Smile

Unfortunately my high school was a big generic 70's looking square building, which had a giant sports hall on the side. The hall doubled as a roller skating rink on the weekends Laugh out load

Harry Potter is one of those rare phenomenon whereby the films are massively superior to the books, sure Rowling came up with a brilliant idea but her writing is mediocre which probably explains why her first book ended up consigned to the shelves of a backwater library until some snot faced kids elevated it. She's a shit author who had a good idea that's the best I can say about her. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
04-10-2017, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 11:21 AM by adey67.)
(04-10-2017 11:15 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(04-10-2017 07:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Laugh out load

I personally don't really like Harry Potter all that much, but I know tons of people that do. The first book came out when I was in high school, [our high school is from age 12-16], and we got made to read it for something in English. I didn't read it haha. My wife loves it,(has all the movies + books etc), and I even got her a custom made letter that is her "invitation" to Hogwarts for her birthday last year Smile

Unfortunately my high school was a big generic 70's looking square building, which had a giant sports hall on the side. The hall doubled as a roller skating rink on the weekends Laugh out load

Harry Potter is one of those rare phenomenon whereby the films are massively superior to the books, sure Rowling came up with a brilliant idea but her writing is mediocre which probably explains why her first book ended up consigned to the shelves of a backwater library for years until some snot faced kids elevated it kids should have a share in royalties imo but I'll bet they won't. She's a mediocre author but who has good plot lines and imagination that's the best I can say about her. Drinking Beverage
04-10-2017, 11:26 AM
(04-10-2017 03:13 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  ... and my grandad having a full head of hair at 70 haha.

A full head of hair is a sign of low testosterone. Seriously. No kidding.

#sigh
04-10-2017, 11:28 AM
(04-10-2017 04:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Gin seems to be really taking off in Scotland now. I was in the highlands the weekend before last and stopped off at a garage / outdoor shop / restaurant / tourist shop that also had a large whisky section. They had significantly more bottles of gin than before. There is even a gin distillery in Islay now.

Good God. Burn the Bruichladdich.

#sigh
04-10-2017, 12:39 PM
(03-10-2017 05:23 PM)julep Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 04:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Don't know if OakTree can help with this one, but yours reminded me of this from music school:

"English Horn: neither English, nor a horn,
it is a woodwind instrument invented in France,
and not to be confused with the French Horn, which is German;
It is known in England as the cor anglais."

Huh
I'm just always happy to find someone who can play either instrument well.

You have several of each lying around?

But seriously , folks . . .

Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
04-10-2017, 12:41 PM
(04-10-2017 03:13 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 04:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Ok, here's one:

Are there any plans to rename "Bombay Gin" to "Mumbai Gin", and if so, when may we expect the update?
Laugh out load Don't think that's under the governments control, but I'll ask the PM next time I see her.... Tongue

Say "hi" for me. Yes

--
Dr H

04-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Shocking

If they start peating it, I may have to quit drinking.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
04-10-2017, 12:47 PM
(04-10-2017 12:44 PM)Dr H Wrote:  

Shocking

If they start peating it, I may have to quit drinking.

Dammit man, look what you made me do. Angry

[Image: S5zi47S.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post