Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 08:16 AM
RE: Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A
(03-10-2017 08:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 08:10 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yeah, I make pot roast too. Throw a slab of meat and some root vegetables in my crock pot and come back 4-5 hours later. Takes a total of like 3 minutes of work.

Pot roast and proper roast dinner are different, some similarities but definitely different lamb with roast potatoes roast parsnips vegetables gravy and mint sauce is really good. Drooling

Except my parsnips and potatoes and rutabagas taste like meat. Which is of course the only way they can be eaten by humans.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 08:25 AM
I think most country's cuisine will come off unfairly if compared to France and Italy etc. German food is basically a re-engineering of rock salt smashed apart and then glued back together again with reconstituted fat and protein. It's not like America fares too well either. Big slabs of beef doused in growth hormones with salty fries, overly sweet chocolate and gallons of 'soda' or Budweiser.

You do get restaurants serving good quality British food. You also get Scottish restaurants serving healthy local dishes generally involving oats and salmon (the fried mars bar is a gimmick). Like most countries though it's not as distinctive as say a curry, sushi, pasta or whatever poncy muck the French eat. (What do they actually eat?)
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
03-10-2017, 08:26 AM
(03-10-2017 08:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 08:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Pot roast and proper roast dinner are different, some similarities but definitely different lamb with roast potatoes roast parsnips vegetables gravy and mint sauce is really good. Drooling

Except my parsnips and potatoes and rutabagas taste like meat. Which is of course the only way they can be eaten by humans.

Mmm swede (rutabaga) mashed with butter salt and plenty of pepper is good.
03-10-2017, 08:29 AM
(03-10-2017 08:09 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Like most countries though it's not as distinctive as say a curry, sushi, pasta or whatever poncy muck the French eat. (What do they actually eat?)
Snails, frogs legs, horses and garlic, if my school education is to be believed Big Grin

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 08:29 AM
What the hell's up with your blood pudding? Why the hell are you guys eating dried, cooked pork blood?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-10-2017, 08:31 AM
(03-10-2017 08:25 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I think most country's cuisine will come off unfairly if compared to France and Italy etc. German food is basically a re-engineering of rock salt smashed apart and then glued back together again with reconstituted fat and protein. It's not like America fares too well either. Big slabs of beef doused in growth hormones with salty fries, overly sweet chocolate and gallons of 'soda' or Budweiser.

You do get restaurants serving good quality British food. You also get Scottish restaurants serving healthy local dishes generally involving oats and salmon (the fried mars bar is a gimmick). Like most countries though it's not as distinctive as say a curry, sushi, pasta or whatever poncy muck the French eat. (What do they actually eat?)

Agreed, American chocolate is the worst, apparently its made different to European chocolate which means butyric acid is generated . Butyric acid is responsible for the distinctive smell of vomit so to non Americans a Hershey bar tastes faintly of puke.
[+] 5 users Like adey67's post
03-10-2017, 08:34 AM
(03-10-2017 08:29 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What the hell's up with your blood pudding? Why the hell are you guys eating dried, cooked pork blood?

Because having fresh blood ooze out of your pudding can leave terrible stains on clean table cloths.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
03-10-2017, 08:35 AM
(03-10-2017 08:29 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What the hell's up with your blood pudding? Why the hell are you guys eating dried, cooked pork blood?

Its delicious but then my family comes from Bury in Lancashire home of the black pudding so I'm biased. But seriously blood sausages / pudding are widespread in European countries too including France Italy Germany Spain Poland etc
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
03-10-2017, 08:40 AM
(03-10-2017 08:29 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 08:09 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Like most countries though it's not as distinctive as say a curry, sushi, pasta or whatever poncy muck the French eat. (What do they actually eat?)
Snails, frogs legs, horses and garlic, if my school education is to be believed Big Grin

Dude I did not write this you cut and pasted Mathildas post you naughty fellow Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
03-10-2017, 08:42 AM
(03-10-2017 08:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  

Its delicious but then my family comes from Bury in Lancashire home of the black pudding so I'm biased. But seriously blood sausages / pudding are widespread in European countries too including France Italy Germany Spain Poland etc

It's probably because people tried to make their food stock last as long as possible so they used all of the animal in order to survive. This entered into a cultural heritage that persists even though there is no longer the need. Most countries have varieties of sausage made from stomach lining and offal. Haggis is actually sheep's lung filled with heart, liver and offal minced with onions, spices and oats.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post