Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 04:49 AM
Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A
Morning all!

With a few of us Brits on board here, I though it might be worth doing a bit of a Q/A if anybody wants to know anything about the UK and it's laundry list of completely random things. For our Canadian/Australian cousins, you probably know a fair bit any way as I understand you guys/gals already use some of our lingo and what not Smile

SO: Ever wanted to know what each area's population is named and how we make fun of each other? What cockney rhyming slang is and how it came to be? What the bloody hell "A Woolly Jumper" is? Anything else that is actually interesting? Laugh out load

Drop a question in here, and either myself or a fellow Brit will reply Smile

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
03-10-2017, 04:51 AM
RE: Oaktree 500's Great British Q&A
How entrentched are the 'Local' accents still?

My brother-in-law is Welsh so I have heard his accent.

But, for the areas around England, how are the local dialects holding up under the assault of commercial media?
03-10-2017, 04:53 AM
What is Cockney rhyming slang? Also why do you drink so much tea? Have you met the Queen? Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
03-10-2017, 04:55 AM
(03-10-2017 04:51 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  How entrentched are the 'Local' accents still?

My brother-in-law is Welsh so I have heard his accent.

But, for the areas around England, how are the local dialects holding up under the assault of commercial media?
It depends on the person and where you go really.

Generally speaking, the accents/dialects are still going strong. Some of us, *cough* me *cough*, feel the need to clean it up a little bit, mainly because if you speak in your native accent you end up sounding very "common", (Not that I'm posh by the way, but you get the idea).

The only thing I would say is we're gaining much more "Americanisms", like certain words or minor pronunciations, but I don't think it's a massive thing as it's been happening since hollywood first starting pumping out movies haha.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
03-10-2017, 05:00 AM
(03-10-2017 04:53 AM)jennybee Wrote:  What is Cockney rhyming slang? Also why do you drink so much tea? Have you met the Queen? Tongue

Laugh out load You wally!

Have I met the Queen? Sadly not, but I'd love to Laugh out load

As for tea, I honestly don't 100% know, although I think it's down to us basically owning the tea trade at one point. I know it came over from other countries, and when the royals/upper class starting drinking it, it just spread out from there. 400+ years later and we're still obsessed with it haha. (I've literally just finished a cup Laugh out load )

Cockney Rhyming slang: My understanding of this is that it was invented in jails to talk about certain things without the guards knowing. It would spread out into daily use and especially places like the army, many many years ago. It's become a bit of a fixture in all english languages now (not just the London "Cockneys") with such things as: "Lets have a butchers" , butchers being short for "Butchers Hook" which rhymes with "look", so therefore, "lets have a look" haha. Check out more on that here: http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/

03-10-2017, 05:03 AM
One interesting thing is that the trade in tea kept sailing ships on the ocean for the longest time.

One aspect of the trade was that the shipping times allowed the pickedd, bundled leaves to 'mellow' or 'age'. Hence using a ship powered by sails gave the best average betweeen delivery and 'time'.

Not sure how true this is, though.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-10-2017, 05:11 AM
(03-10-2017 04:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  ...
What the bloody hell "A Woolly Jumper" is?

The Aussies will know that. It's what you get when you cross a sheep with a kangaroo.

Question:
Why do the English call condoms 'French letters', while in France they are called capotes anglaises ('English overcoats')?

Huh

Question:
If the Lion and the Unicorn, appearing on the full royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom, represent England (lion) and Scotland (unicorn), why are Scots allowed to play for the British Lions?

Huh

Please explain Brexit and its aftermath in 10 words or less.

Thanks.

Drinking Beverage

ETA:
Tea ... natural selection at work.

Cholera epidemics during the industrial revolution killed thousands.
15,000 people died in London in the 1848-49 cholera outbreak alone.

Tea-drinkers were more likely to survive and breed than non-tea-drinkers.

Smartass

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-10-2017, 05:16 AM
(03-10-2017 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Question:
Why do the English called condoms 'French letters', while in France they are called capotes anglaises ('English overcoats')?
I imagine it's because the English and French have a long history of hating each other. In all honesty it's not a set of slang terms I've ever heard, but there are various stereotypes about french people (the men in particular) that I would dare say the English propagated Laugh out load

(03-10-2017 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Question:
If the Lion and the Unicorn, appearing on the full royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom represent England (lion) and Scotland (unicorn), why are Scots allowed to play for the British Lions?
Not a Scooby Doo (Clue) on that one. I know that Britain as a whole is often represented by lions, so with Scotland being a part of us (for now Laugh out load ) they get called Lions too. Although "The British Unicorns" might strike fear into the hearts of the homophobic, so I say go for it Laugh out load

(03-10-2017 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Please explain Brexit and its aftermath in 10 words or less.
Oh bloody hell.

Stupid people voted to leave Europe. It's going "Tits up" Laugh out load

I think that was 10 words Big Grin

["Tits up" means bad Laugh out load]

03-10-2017, 05:22 AM
(03-10-2017 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Please explain Brexit and its aftermath in 10 words or less.

The wildly successful rebranded "Make the UK shit again" campaign. *

*Now the name for a likewise successful brand of British suppositories.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
03-10-2017, 05:24 AM
(03-10-2017 05:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ETA:
Tea ... natural selection at work.

Cholera epidemics during the industrial revolution killed thousands.
15,000 people died in London in the 1848-49 cholera outbreak alone.

Tea-drinkers were more likely to survive and breed than non-tea-drinkers.

Smartass
The same is to be said for Gin and Tonic, as it contained a property that helped prevent/stop the spread of Malaria, so was very popular in India and The UK as well Smile

"The British: Accidentally not dying of various diseases for 300+ years"