Obama’s last WH Correspondents Dinner, BRILLIANT!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Obama’s last WH Correspondents Dinner, BRILLIANT!
30 minutes of perfectly delivered zingers and jabs...I am so going to miss this president.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Full Circle's post
01-05-2016, 08:43 AM
RE: Obama’s last WH Correspondents Dinner, BRILLIANT!
Yeah Obama is great isn't he?
Not.

The ACA? Failure.

95 million out of work. Failure.

National debt: $20 trillion by the time he leaves office. Failure.

Supreme Court victories below 50%, the lowest % over the last 60 years for any President (according to fivethirtyeight). Failure.

All he accomplished is divide the country more than ever, weakened our military, allowed the rise of ISIS, 5.5 million more people in poverty since he took office, 45 million more on food stamps, lowest home ownership level in 20 years. Health insurance premiums are due to rise 37% in some states this year. The largest health insurance company is leaving the exchanges next year.

Benghazi. IRS scandal. The list goes on.

We are divided. Left and right hates each other more than any time since the civil war.

But hey, gays are allowed to marry. At least he accomplished one good thing in 8 years.

History will not be kind to this president.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
01-05-2016, 08:48 AM
(01-05-2016 08:43 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Yeah Obama is great isn't he?
Not.

The ACA? Failure.

95 million out of work. Failure.

National debt: $20 trillion by the time he leaves office. Failure.

Supreme Court victories below 50%, the lowest % over the last 60 years for any President (according to fivethirtyeight). Failure.

All he accomplished is divide the country more than ever, weakened our military, allowed the rise of ISIS, 5.5 million more people in poverty since he took office, 45 million more on food stamps, lowest home ownership level in 20 years. Health insurance premiums are due to rise 37% in some states this year. The largest health insurance company is leaving the exchanges next year.

Benghazi. IRS scandal. The list goes on.

We are divided. Left and right hates each other more than any time since the civil war.

But hey, gays are allowed to marry. At least he accomplished one good thing in 8 years.

[Image: never-argue-with-stupid-people-mark-twain.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
01-05-2016, 08:49 AM
(01-05-2016 08:43 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  95 million out of work.

[Image: Citation_needed.jpg]

I'm pretty sure that is not close to accurate.

Also:

(01-05-2016 08:43 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Supreme Court victories below 50%, the lowest % over the last 60 years for any President (according to fivethirtyeight).

What does this even mean?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
01-05-2016, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2016 09:00 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(01-05-2016 08:49 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 08:43 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  95 million out of work.

[Image: File:%22Citation_needed%22.jpg]

I'm pretty sure that is not close to accurate.

Also:

(01-05-2016 08:43 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Supreme Court victories below 50%, the lowest % over the last 60 years for any President (according to fivethirtyeight).

What does this even mean?

It means Obama's administration has lost over 50% of the cases it has fought for or supported at the supreme court. Read it on fivethirtyeight.com a while back. I think Reagan won over 70%.

As for the out of work argument, the 95 million number has been around a while. http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/10/2...bor-force/

But it means there are no jobs if a retiree wants to get a part time job, so they stay out of the work force. No jobs available for high schoolers or college kids either.

That's counting everyone, not really out of work, more like out of the work force. But the fact is, more Americans are out of work than before he took office. Those "unemployed" numbers are only counting those collecting unemployment, and doesn't count those who no longer can collect benefits.

01-05-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm aware of how unemployment numbers work. They have always been a fiction but no one focused much on that until Obama took office. They do a lousy job of showing actual unemployment but they are good for showing employment trends. And, I seriously question your statement that more Americans are out of work than before he took office, unless you're counting people who retired.

But, the fact is that we have an employment problem and while Obama didn't fix it, he didn't cause it either. Jobs are leaving this country in a rapid rate. We've mostly lost our manufacturing base and there is nothing to replace them. Automation is killing most low skilled jobs. In 10 years we won't need truck drivers as one example. And, it doesn't matter if we pay fast food workers $15/hour or $50/hour because we are running on a path where we will need a fraction of the number of employees we currently need. Automation in ordering will kill most of those jobs. Cashiers will be a thing of the past. You will need a handful of people to work the kitchen and clean up the place, but it will be a smaller number than we have no. Right now, Verizon workers are on strike and it's been going on for almost 3 weeks. Something like 35,000 employees walked out and, no matter the outcome, they are fucked. The reality is that landline telecom is on the decline. There is no negotiation that is going to change that. The Mass Pike authority just announced they will go to 100% EZPass over the next couple of years. That means every single toll taker will be out of work.

It impacts white collar jobs too. My previous employer outsourced a whole bunch of its sourcing, finance and legal work to India. They kept handful of people in each area to do the heavy stuff but the lionshare of the work was done for cheap labor overseas. My current employer has done something similar (they have not outsourced legal .... yet).

America, as a country, is living well above it's means. We are using subsidies to prop up our standard of living to keep the illusion that we can have it as well as our parents did. But, it's a mirage and the fact is that neither party knows how to fix it. The only two candidates that are even talking about this are Sanders and Trump. Sanders solution is more wealth distribution through taxes and Trump's solution is xenophobic economic platforms that will invite similar retaliation. Sanders' ideas will bleed us slowly but Trumps will likely bleed us all at once. There have been several conservative financial outlets saying that Trumps ideas, like a 35% tariff on imports, will destroy the American economy.

If you want to blame Obama for our current situation and fool yourself into thinking there is some easy solution out there that Trump or Cruz or whomever can implement and save us all, that is certainly your right. But, you're fooling yourself.

[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
01-05-2016, 09:19 AM
(01-05-2016 09:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm aware of how unemployment numbers work. They have always been a fiction but no one focused much on that until Obama took office. They do a lousy job of showing actual unemployment but they are good for showing employment trends. And, I seriously question your statement that more Americans are out of work than before he took office, unless you're counting people who retired.

But, the fact is that we have an employment problem and while Obama didn't fix it, he didn't cause it either. Jobs are leaving this country in a rapid rate. We've mostly lost our manufacturing base and there is nothing to replace them. Automation is killing most low skilled jobs. In 10 years we won't need truck drivers as one example. And, it doesn't matter if we pay fast food workers $15/hour or $50/hour because we are running on a path where we will need a fraction of the number of employees we currently need. Automation in ordering will kill most of those jobs. Cashiers will be a thing of the past. You will need a handful of people to work the kitchen and clean up the place, but it will be a smaller number than we have no. Right now, Verizon workers are on strike and it's been going on for almost 3 weeks. Something like 35,000 employees walked out and, no matter the outcome, they are fucked. The reality is that landline telecom is on the decline. There is no negotiation that is going to change that. The Mass Pike authority just announced they will go to 100% EZPass over the next couple of years. That means every single toll taker will be out of work.

It impacts white collar jobs too. My previous employer outsourced a whole bunch of its sourcing, finance and legal work to India. They kept handful of people in each area to do the heavy stuff but the lionshare of the work was done for cheap labor overseas. My current employer has done something similar (they have not outsourced legal .... yet).

America, as a country, is living well above it's means. We are using subsidies to prop up our standard of living to keep the illusion that we can have it as well as our parents did. But, it's a mirage and the fact is that neither party knows how to fix it. The only two candidates that are even talking about this are Sanders and Trump. Sanders solution is more wealth distribution through taxes and Trump's solution is xenophobic economic platforms that will invite similar retaliation. Sanders' ideas will bleed us slowly but Trumps will likely bleed us all at once. There have been several conservative financial outlets saying that Trumps ideas, like a 35% tariff on imports, will destroy the American economy.

If you want to blame Obama for our current situation and fool yourself into thinking there is some easy solution out there that Trump or Cruz or whomever can implement and save us all, that is certainly your right. But, you're fooling yourself.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote. I don't have an answer for automation, and none of the candidates do either.

All I care about is gun rights. Because when the entire country (and world) runs out money and food because nobody has a job, I want to be able to defend my family.

[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
01-05-2016, 09:22 AM
You better start stockpiling a nuclear arsenal then because your handguns and rifles aren't going to do shit for you.

[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
01-05-2016, 09:54 AM
(01-05-2016 08:43 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  ...

Agreed.

From the history books of the future:
Quote:Obama's failure to abolish the unnecessary and antiquated institution previously known as Congress and replace it with the House of Glorious Leadership™ (sponsored by Koch Bros) ensured his administration never got going and heralded the welcome demise of the universally decried system known as democracy.

Following the election of our Supreme Leader For Life, we have seen a unification of the right and the eradication of leftist commie scum facilitated by the ennobling Walmart Economics™ which has seen the elimination, through starvation, of poor people (and with that, the leftist raison d'être) with the natural benefit of having no more poverty and no more unemployment. Our military has been strengthened to include nearly 90% of the population and America is unified and great again.

Praise be.

[+] 14 users Like DLJ's post
01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
(01-05-2016 09:22 AM)BnW Wrote:  You better start stockpiling a nuclear arsenal then because your handguns and rifles aren't going to do shit for you.

The effects of societal problems of that ilk will certainly be local and being armed will be better than not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user