Obama’s last WH Correspondents Dinner, BRILLIANT!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 05:09 AM
RE: Obama’s last WH Correspondents Dinner, BRILLIANT!
(01-05-2016 09:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The social landscape of America is SLOWLY changing but it is changing. Just look at Bernie's success. Sure he's not winning, but I think he represents a change in mood.
Trump also.

Not to quibble, but I don't think Sanders is the result of a changing social landscape. I think it's more the result of a devolving economic landscape.

Trump, on the other hand, I think is the result, at least partly, of the changing social landscape and not in a good way.

Completely agree with you, though, on blaming Obama for how divisive things are. The Republicans never gave him a chance.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
02-05-2016, 05:19 AM
(01-05-2016 09:19 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  All I care about is gun rights. Because when the entire country (and world) runs out money and food because nobody has a job, I want to be able to defend my family.

Stop watching Mad Max and Resident Evil. Helps staying in touch with reality.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
02-05-2016, 09:36 AM
(02-05-2016 05:09 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 09:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The social landscape of America is SLOWLY changing but it is changing. Just look at Bernie's success. Sure he's not winning, but I think he represents a change in mood.
Trump also.

Not to quibble, but I don't think Sanders is the result of a changing social landscape. I think it's more the result of a devolving economic landscape.

Trump, on the other hand, I think is the result, at least partly, of the changing social landscape and not in a good way.

Both of them are all of the above. We'll probably still end up with 8 years of inertia under Hillary, but after that I think there will be big changes. Both on a social and financial level - change is pending. 8 years from now the current young will have matured quite a bit and they will weigh in.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Bolding mine for tl;dr

"Opinion: Barack Obama is a venture capitalist extraordinaire

By Tim Mullaney
Published: May 2, 2016 12:04 p.m. ET

Obama’s legacy is that of a smart and patient venture capitalist seeking the long-term home run.

The argument over President Barack Obama’s economic legacy is heating up, this time courtesy of Andrew Ross Sorkin’s 18-printed-page opus in Sunday’s New York Times Magazine.

And while a Wall Street reporter like Sorkin wouldn’t say it, tech reporters like me will: Barack Obama’s legacy will be as venture capitalist extraordinaire — a leader who boosted America’s economy in the short term while planting seeds that will invigorate it for decades.

From energy and health care to autos, banking and a fairer tax system to pay for his ideas, the U.S. economy is different and better for Obama having led it. And he did it with a venture guy’s tool kit: An ability to see the future, and a willingness to take risk.

In the short term, we all know the record, even if some just shout “la-la-la” when the data come out, like don’t-want-to-hear-it goofballs in Eddie Murphy movies. Unemployment has been cut in half since September 2009 and 14.4 million new private-sector jobs have been created since early 2010, on pace for 16 million-plus before Obama leaves office. He halted a disastrous recession within six months, and presided over a near-tripling in stocks that began the exact day The Wall Street Journal ran an op-ed by Michael Boskin, the first President Bush’s top economic advisor, headlined “Obama’s Radicalism Is Killing the Dow.”

No, Boskin, you’re killing us.

The usual rap on Obama’s short-term record is that middle-class incomes haven’t recovered from the recession — Sorkin repeats this — but even this isn’t true. Last week, Sentier Research pointed out that real median household incomes are now at 99.9% of where they were in January 2000, as the Internet bubble peaked. The 2011 Times article making the case that lost income growth, as well as an unemployment rate then near 9%, was essential to judging the recovery used Sentier numbers. Fair’s fair.

By fall, when Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump likely square off for Obama’s job, median real incomes will probably reach the 2002 record. If that’s an Obama failure, it’s a high-class one.

But it’s the long term where Obama really shines. Hillary Clinton may talk about how business leaders should look beyond short-term pressures, but Obama has done it.

The two most obvious places are in energy and health care.

Sometimes the most effective thing one can do is not very much, as when Obama stood aside and let oil and gas companies begin the fracking revolution. McGladrey chief economist Joe Brusuelas argued to me that Obama deserved little credit for this. I pointed out that Obama’s base wanted him to ban fracking, as Gov. Andrew Cuomo did in New York, and Bernie Sanders still wants to. But he didn’t.

In the short term, fracking halved the price of gasoline and natural gas, saving families about $1,000 a year. In the long run, it broke the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, hollowed out Vladimir Putin’s Russia, and made various mullahs’ determination to smite the Great Satan irrelevant. Not everyone can see that yet, but it’s true.

That’s the long-term home run that smart, patient VCs play for, and its world-changing character goes well beyond oil prices, just as world-changing companies do more than make money.

At home, think of the 2009 stimulus and related bills as a giant, energy-focused VC fund. Like any fund, it had misses, including solar-panel maker Solyndra’s default on a stimulus-funded loan. But it also funded Tesla Motors’ TSLA, +0.38% first factory, plants where Ford Motor F, +0.74% builds EcoBoost engines and where Nissan builds the emissions-free Leaf, as well as the largest U.S. nuclear plant (say what you want, it’s carbon-free) in 30 years. And tax incentives expanded and extended by Obama have quadrupled the percentage of U.S. electricity made with wind and solar power.

Tesla’s stock made lots of money, but this venture fund also helped reduce U.S. carbon emissions and slashed coal’s share of electricity generation. Utility rates rose only 0.6% last year, versus 12% in 2006, as fracking-related savings offset the cost of building renewables. Reducing emissions is a big, historic goal Obama’s America has so far achieved nearly for free.

As for health care, the short-term boost from the Affordable Care Act is that the nation’s uninsured rate has fallen 40% even with Republican governors refusing to implement parts of the law. But the real payoff will be long-term cost-containment measures that have already cut medical inflation and have also shown signs of affecting how people use medical care. In 15 years, health-insurance markets will be more transparent and competitive, and health care will be less expensive, higher quality and more flexible because of the ACA and the Hitech Act, which put dollars behind Obama’s predecessor’s talk about promoting electronic medical records.

These are just examples of Obama’s long arc bending toward prosperity. Top tax rates are now 6 percentage points higher than when he arrived, combatting the concentration of pretax income in the very rich.

The deficit’s share of the economy is smaller than when Ronald Reagan was president. Banks are better capitalized and sounder.

At the height of Congress’ outrage over the Solyndra loan going bust, Republicans leaked an e-mail about Solyndra in which Obama advisor Larry Summers said “government is a crappy VC.” Actually, stock-market returns on stimulus-affected companies crushed the market. And if VCs’ other goal is to change the world through the private sector, that’s what Obama did.

Crappy VC? Obama’s the MC of VCs. His legacy begins there.”

So much for the naysayers. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
02-05-2016, 01:32 PM
(02-05-2016 12:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
In the short term, fracking halved the price of gasoline and natural gas, saving families about $1,000 a year. In the long run, it broke the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, hollowed out Vladimir Putin’s Russia, and made various mullahs’ determination to smite the Great Satan irrelevant. Not everyone can see that yet, but it’s true.

Hmmm. I confess that I hadn't connected all of those dots.

If the latter was intentional rather than a wholesome side effect ... I'm duly impressed.

Dodgy

02-05-2016, 04:12 PM
(02-05-2016 01:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 12:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...

Hmmm. I confess that I hadn't connected all of those dots.

If the latter was intentional rather than a wholesome side effect ... I'm duly impressed.

Dodgy

Yabut, poisoned aquifers. Not a good long-term plan. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-05-2016, 09:39 PM
I am so not going to miss Obama. Failed president.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
03-05-2016, 04:15 AM
(02-05-2016 09:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  I am so not going to miss Obama. Failed president.
They can't all have a spochless record like William Henry Harrison

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-05-2016, 11:21 AM
(01-05-2016 08:43 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Supreme Court victories below 50%, the lowest % over the last 60 years for any President (according to fivethirtyeight). Failure.

I thought you were against the idea of the supreme court making decisions along partisan lines. It's fine with it fits your narrative?
04-05-2016, 07:27 AM
(02-05-2016 09:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  I am so not going to miss Obama. Failed president.

Having you take the other side only reinforces for me that I am right in my assessment. Thanks Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post