Obama Frees Chelsea Manning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: Obama Frees Chelsea Manning
(18-01-2017 12:04 PM)tomilay Wrote:  An argument can always be made against any Presidential pardon. I don't like them. But the law is an ass.
It makes a mockery of the justice system and is rife with abuse and corruption. I don't see why the president has this power.

Is Trump going to give a pre-emptive pardon to his accountants and CFO, and board of directors before finally presenting his tax returns?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2017, 02:15 PM
(18-01-2017 01:37 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Are you sure? A quick google search brings up 25 articles backing up my number, including this from Obama loving Mother Jones.
http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/0...14-inmates

I wasn't purposely exaggerating the number. I've heard it from multiple news agencies. CNN even said it on the air yesterday when they were discussing this latest move by Obama.

I see my link is not going to the same page that is linked and which I viewed.

This is the URL:
Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_President_of_the_United_State​s
However, when you click it, it gets changed to
Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_President_of_the_United_State​%E2%80%8Bs

If you copy and paste the first URL, you should see the page I was looking at.

Anyway, the page is talking about both pardons and commuted sentences. Yours seems to be just commuted sentences.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
18-01-2017, 03:10 PM
(18-01-2017 11:40 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Obama has freed more federal prisoners than the previous 9 or 10 presidents combined. Obama is a fucking disgrace and a disaster for this country.

The fact that he would free Bradley Manning does not surprise me at all. I expected Obama to free him and anticipate more of his anti American cohorts to be freed or pardoned over the next 2 days.

Yes -- President Obama has pardoned more --- but there's a damned good reason....

The lion's share of those pardoned - were for minor drug offenses - or people disproportionately sentenced for crack cocaine vs the lighter sentences for powder cocaine...... It's fallout on "the war on drugs"........

But, I don't think Manning should have been pardoned. Ever.........

And to the later question someone else posed --- can a new president overturn a pardon???

No -- that'd be double jeopardy......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Hi,

President Obama has done a good and righteous thing. Angel I hope that Chelsea finds a safe place in this world, although I doubt it.

D.
18-01-2017, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 05:46 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(18-01-2017 05:11 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

President Obama has done a good and righteous thing. Angel I hope that Chelsea finds a safe place in this world, although I doubt it.

D.

If "good" means letting someone out of prison 30 years early after being convicted of espionage then your idea of good is surely different from mine. To anyone with a sense of morality and patriotism, this is bad, the opposite of good.

Bradley Manning disgraced himself, his uniform, his country and his duty.

I hope he steps on a rusty nail.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
18-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Only in Obama's America can you arrive to prison as a male convicted of violating the espionage act and leave as a free woman.

18-01-2017, 06:17 PM
What the fuck?

The military classified things only for the purpose of covering up WAR CRIMES.

Manning revealed those war crimes, considering it her duty to the people and the Constitution, even if the unscrupulous had tried to abuse the classification system to cover their tracks. This was whistleblowing on the USA violating a number of its treaties, not the least of which was the Geneva Conventions.

Manning is a hero.

I'd be willing to bet almost anything that if a conservative President had said,

"We conservatives area against government corruption and any/all evils of government-out-of-control, and because this person revealed such abuses even at the peril of being locked up for most of the rest of her life, we will show leniency. This does not excuse espionage in aid of the enemies of the United States, but we believe that an honest nation has fewer enemies, and that Manning stood by her oath to defend the Constitution of the United States and obey the lawful orders of her superiors. The orders she received were not lawful, and though she was rightly convicted, we show leniency because of her bravery in revealing to the American public that we were doing things in their name that were against our own oaths and duties as a righteous nation. Thank you, Chesea."

...then you would be salivating in your rush to applaud.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-01-2017, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 06:35 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(18-01-2017 06:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  What the fuck?

Manning revealed those war crimes, considering it her duty to the people and the Constitution, even if the unscrupulous had tried to abuse the classification system to cover their tracks. This was whistleblowing on the USA violating a number of its treaties, not the least of which was the Geneva Conventions.

Manning is a hero.

I'd be willing to bet almost anything that if a conservative President had said,

"We conservatives area against government corruption and any/all evils of government-out-of-control, and because this person revealed such abuses even at the peril of being locked up for most of the rest of her life, we will show leniency. This does not excuse espionage in aid of the enemies of the United States, but we believe that an honest nation has fewer enemies, and that Manning stood by her oath to defend the Constitution of the United States and obey the lawful orders of her superiors. The orders she received were not lawful, and though she was rightly convicted, we show leniency because of her bravery in revealing to the American public that we were doing things in their name that were against our own oaths and duties as a righteous nation. Thank you, Chesea."

100% bullshit.

Every military member can be protected by the military whistleblower act.

But to qualify for protection, the member must inform an authorized person, usually a higher up in the chain of command or any congressional member.

Bradley Manning disclosed classified documents to Wikileaks, which our enemies were able to get their hands on. Wikileaks or any media outlet are not on the list of authorized whistleblower recipients.

If Manning had proof that something illegal had occured, he had only one legal option. He chose the illegal way. He should do his time.

18-01-2017, 06:43 PM
(18-01-2017 06:27 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 06:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  What the fuck?

Manning is a hero.

100% bullshit.

Every military member can be protected by the military whistleblower act.

But to qualify for protection, the member must inform an authorized person, usually a higher up in the chain of command or any congressional member.

Bradley Manning disclosed classified documents to Wikileaks, which our enemies were able to get their hands on. Wikileaks or any media outlet are not on the list of authorized whistleblower recipients.

If Manning had proof that something illegal had occured, he had only one legal option. He chose the illegal way. He should do his time.

What if the chain of command and the higher ups are part of the problem?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
18-01-2017, 07:08 PM
(18-01-2017 01:56 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I think this is an excellent decision. I want people in the military to think about the moral ramifications of what they are doing and not just following orders and then hiding behind that as an excuse.

Yeah -- great idea ........

And I guess you'll protest everything your Commanding Officer orders -- because YOU didn't vote for him!!!!

THAT's how all military units work....

Facepalm

Do us all a favor......

They NEED geniuses like YOU!!!!!!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.