Obama Wins "Lie of the Year" Award

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Thumbs Up Obama Wins "Lie of the Year" Award
PolitiFact gave Obama the Lie of the Year award for "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it."

"So this fall, as cancellation letters were going out to approximately 4 million Americans, the public realized Obama’s breezy assurances were wrong..."

In related news, GQ also included him in their 2013 list of Least Influential People.

"He can blame Republicans in Congress all he likes and get away with it because congressional Republicans are the worst. But the fact remains that I have spent the majority of this man's presidency watching bad things happen, then hearing a thoughtful speech about how we gotta make sure the bad things never happen again, and then watching as nothing gets done. Next time there's an election, I want Nate Silver to analyze the data and tell me who to vote for so that I don't end up casting my ballot for a very eloquent hat stand."

I wonder if he'll keep these awards next to his Nobel Peace Prize. Consider

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
13-12-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: Obama Wins "Lie of the Year" Award
(13-12-2013 12:32 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  PolitiFact gave Obama the Lie of the Year award for "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it."

"So this fall, as cancellation letters were going out to approximately 4 million Americans, the public realized Obama’s breezy assurances were wrong..."

In related news, GQ also included him in their 2013 list of Least Influential People.

"He can blame Republicans in Congress all he likes and get away with it because congressional Republicans are the worst. But the fact remains that I have spent the majority of this man's presidency watching bad things happen, then hearing a thoughtful speech about how we gotta make sure the bad things never happen again, and then watching as nothing gets done. Next time there's an election, I want Nate Silver to analyze the data and tell me who to vote for so that I don't end up casting my ballot for a very eloquent hat stand."

I wonder if he'll keep these awards next to his Nobel Peace Prize. Consider

The intent of ACA was to have continuity for people's current plans, and is written to allow that. All of the plans were grandfathered.

What Obama may not have realized was that there was nothing in the ACA that required that insurers continued those plans. Insurance companies were allowed to do whatever they wanted regarding existing plans. So they did.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2013, 01:35 PM
(13-12-2013 12:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  The intent of ACA was to have continuity for people's current plans... What Obama may not have realized...

If I had claimed to know the 'intent' of the drafters of the ACA, or suggested what Obama knew or didn't know, you'd be spewing all sorts of insults right now.

But you sure are tenacious. When I said Obama lied about keeping plans, you said I was full of shit. Now that Politifact, a non-partisan source, not only rated it a 'pants on fire lie', but the 'lie of the year', you are STILL insisting that we're all full of shit because Obama "may not have realized was that there was nothing in the ACA..."

Meaning your defense of Obama is that 'He wasn't lying. He just signed the ACA without actually learning what was in the law.' Seriously, I don't know what is worse: a) that he lied, b) that he signed a law radically transforming healthcare without reading it, or c) that you would argue b to justify why he didn't lie.
13-12-2013, 03:31 PM
(13-12-2013 01:35 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 12:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  The intent of ACA was to have continuity for people's current plans... What Obama may not have realized...

If I had claimed to know the 'intent' of the drafters of the ACA, or suggested what Obama knew or didn't know, you'd be spewing all sorts of insults right now.

But you sure are tenacious. When I said Obama lied about keeping plans, you said I was full of shit. Now that Politifact, a non-partisan source, not only rated it a 'pants on fire lie', but the 'lie of the year', you are STILL insisting that we're all full of shit because Obama "may not have realized was that there was nothing in the ACA..."

Meaning your defense of Obama is that 'He wasn't lying. He just signed the ACA without actually learning what was in the law.' Seriously, I don't know what is worse: a) that he lied, b) that he signed a law radically transforming healthcare without reading it, or c) that you would argue b to justify why he didn't lie.

I didn't make up anything.

13-12-2013, 03:41 PM
(13-12-2013 03:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't make up anything.

Yes, you wrote: "The intent of ACA was to have continuity for people's current plans". You can't possibly know their intent. IMO it's just as likely that the insurance companies' lobbyists helping to write the ACA made sure that all the old, low-cost plans would be banned, and that the 'you can keep your plans' was political posturing. And independent fact-checkers substantiate this by presenting evidence that Obama DID know all along the old plans would be banned and was lying about it. This completely contradicts your claim that Obama "may not have realized" it. They've shown memos from Kathleen Sebelius in June 2010 confirming that they knew the plans would be cancelled.

Not even the Obama administration is defending this claim anymore. They themselves have already conceded it wasn't true, and you keep insisting it really WAS true all along, despite Obama's admission and all fact checkers unanimously agreeing.
13-12-2013, 05:18 PM
(13-12-2013 03:41 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 03:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't make up anything.

Yes, you wrote: "The intent of ACA was to have continuity for people's current plans". You can't possibly know their intent. IMO it's just as likely that the insurance companies' lobbyists helping to write the ACA made sure that all the old, low-cost plans would be banned, and that the 'you can keep your plans' was political posturing. And independent fact-checkers substantiate this by presenting evidence that Obama DID know all along the old plans would be banned and was lying about it. This completely contradicts your claim that Obama "may not have realized" it. They've shown memos from Kathleen Sebelius in June 2010 confirming that they knew the plans would be cancelled.

Not even the Obama administration is defending this claim anymore. They themselves have already conceded it wasn't true, and you keep insisting it really WAS true all along, despite Obama's admission and all fact checkers unanimously agreeing.

The letter of the law allowed all plans to stay in effect. Should it have been foreseen that insurers would cancel non-conforming plans that they did not have to cancel? Sure. The law was flawed that it didn't require them to be continued for a period, say, a year.

However, the fact is that maybe 2% of plans were cancelled. 2%. Hardly "the lie of the year".

13-12-2013, 05:32 PM
(13-12-2013 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hardly "the lie of the year".

It's the "lie of the year" because Obama said it in speeches 37 times even after the internal memo showed he knew it wasn't true. It doesn't matter whether it's 2% or 90% of policies.

If Obama advocated a new eugenics law and said "this law does nothing to Jews", and then once the law came out, we saw that it required all Jews to be executed, you wouldn't be defending it by saying that "only 2% of Americans are Jewish and effected by the law". (not saying there's a moral equivalent between Obamacare and the Holocaust, so please don't go there. Just making a point that the % doesn't matter, it's the fact that he lied.)
[+] 1 user Likes frankksj's post
13-12-2013, 05:46 PM
(13-12-2013 05:32 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hardly "the lie of the year".

It's the "lie of the year" because Obama said it in speeches 37 times even after the internal memo showed he knew it wasn't true. It doesn't matter whether it's 2% or 90% of policies.

If Obama advocated a new eugenics law and said "this law does nothing to Jews", and then once the law came out, we saw that it required all Jews to be executed, you wouldn't be defending it by saying that "only 2% of Americans are Jewish and effected by the law". (not saying there's a moral equivalent between Obamacare and the Holocaust, so please don't go there. Just making a point that the % doesn't matter, it's the fact that he lied.)

It's also clear that he was not initially lying. It was consistent with his understanding of the law.

Your simile is absurd. And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

13-12-2013, 07:03 PM
(13-12-2013 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your simile is absurd. And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

He told the lie repeatedly and publicly even though he knew it wasn't true. Then after the lie was publicly exposed via approximately 4 million cancellation notices he lied again to cover it up.

So even though the lie only directly impacted 2% in terms of cancellations, it damages his credibility with everyone (except you apparently).

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
13-12-2013, 07:10 PM
(13-12-2013 07:03 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your simile is absurd. And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

He told the lie repeatedly and publicly even though he knew it wasn't true. Then after the lie was publicly exposed via approximately 4 million cancellation notices he lied again to cover it up.

So even though the lie only directly impacted 2% in terms of cancellations, it damages his credibility with everyone (except you apparently).

I call horseshit.

The Vatican should get Lie of the Year by default.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.