Obama Wins "Lie of the Year" Award

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 07:19 PM
RE: Obama Wins "Lie of the Year" Award
(13-12-2013 07:03 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your simile is absurd. And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

He told the lie repeatedly and publicly even though he knew it wasn't true. Then after the lie was publicly exposed via approximately 4 million cancellation notices he lied again to cover it up.

So even though the lie only directly impacted 2% in terms of cancellations, it damages his credibility with everyone (except you apparently).

You want to see it in black and white, but the world doesn't work that way. Especially not politics.

And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 07:37 PM
"‘If you like your health care, you can keep it,’ will go down in history as Obama’s ‘Read my lips,’ ‘I’ve never had sexual relations,’ and ‘I am not a crook.’ "

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...year-2013/

It was also the overwhelming choice in the readers' poll at 59%

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...ults-2013/

Drinking Beverage

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2013, 07:38 PM
(13-12-2013 07:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

So let's say 37 times Obama promised Edward Snowden that he was welcome to return to the US and assured him he wouldn't be arrested. But then, as soon as Snowden stepped off the plane, Obama arrested him and shipped him off to Guantanamo where he was never seen again. Would you call that a 'major lie'? Or would you stick to the argument that 'it only affects 0.0000003%', so it doesn't even register as a lie at all?
13-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Hmm, I dunno. I've never fully trusted anything a politician has ever said. I consider nearly everything that a politician promises to be mostly out of their control anyhow.

I think the intent and the effort are sometimes there. But the results matching the promises? Haha, I laugh. Laugh out load

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
13-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I feel NSA actions are worse, though I guess that isn't a lie.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
13-12-2013, 09:11 PM
(13-12-2013 09:01 PM)Question Wrote:  I feel NSA actions are worse, though I guess that isn't a lie.

Actually I think it was a much bigger lie than Obamacare. First, remember that when James Clapper head of the NSA insisted the government didn't keep records, he was making a sworn statement under oath. The head of one the nation's most powerful agencies perjured. Then after the first leak about 'phone metadata', Obama DID unequivocally state that it was only metadata (phone numbers and times of call) but that the NSA had no access to the contents of anybody's phone calls or emails.

Now we know all that is a lie and the government is storing the content of all our communications, and so he switched tactics and, instead of denying it, now says 'well it's perfectly normal--all countries do it'. Of course if it was "normal" he wouldn't have lied about it.

Personally, I think this is orders of magnitude more serious than his Obamacare lie. With Obamacare worst case, people like me have to buy new insurance policies and got hit with a 500% rate hike. But, with the NSA issue... Well just imagine the next time there's some mass hysteria in the US, which always happens every so often (the witchhunts, McCarthyism's communist hunts, concentration camps for Japanese-Americans, etc.). The next time something like that happens, big brother will have a permanent, searchable database of all your communication.

I wonder why Politifact didn't put this on their voting list. It would have had my vote for sure.
[+] 1 user Likes frankksj's post
14-12-2013, 08:18 AM
(13-12-2013 07:38 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 07:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

So let's say 37 times Obama promised Edward Snowden that he was welcome to return to the US and assured him he wouldn't be arrested. But then, as soon as Snowden stepped off the plane, Obama arrested him and shipped him off to Guantanamo where he was never seen again. Would you call that a 'major lie'? Or would you stick to the argument that 'it only affects 0.0000003%', so it doesn't even register as a lie at all?

Another absurd metaphor? You're really not very good at these.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2013, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 09:06 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(13-12-2013 12:32 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  PolitiFact gave Obama the Lie of the Year award for "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it."

"So this fall, as cancellation letters were going out to approximately 4 million Americans, the public realized Obama’s breezy assurances were wrong..."

In related news, GQ also included him in their 2013 list of Least Influential People.

"He can blame Republicans in Congress all he likes and get away with it because congressional Republicans are the worst. But the fact remains that I have spent the majority of this man's presidency watching bad things happen, then hearing a thoughtful speech about how we gotta make sure the bad things never happen again, and then watching as nothing gets done. Next time there's an election, I want Nate Silver to analyze the data and tell me who to vote for so that I don't end up casting my ballot for a very eloquent hat stand."

I wonder if he'll keep these awards next to his Nobel Peace Prize. Consider

While Obama did lie, the award should go to James Clapper and NSA chief Kenneth Alexander. Their deceitfulness and treachery should get them this award hands down and I'm disgusted and outraged that the public is not extremely disgusted and outraged with these people and demanding they be immediately fired and prosecuted for this misconduct. These people make clear their intent to systematically enslave us and the people meekly put the shackles on themselves.

I've often wondered how long it will be before the State Dept partners up with McDonalds and begins a program where you can sign away all your constitutional rights for a year's supply of Big Macs. I have a feeling, given how gullible and inert the public is about this stuff, it would sell like gangbusters.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
19-12-2013, 12:54 AM
(13-12-2013 07:03 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your simile is absurd. And 2% is hardly the lie of the year.

He told the lie repeatedly and publicly even though he knew it wasn't true. Then after the lie was publicly exposed via approximately 4 million cancellation notices he lied again to cover it up.

So even though the lie only directly impacted 2% in terms of cancellations, it damages his credibility with everyone (except you apparently).

if his lie involved only 2%, previous lies by officials have impacted more then 2%. My insurer told me the issue of these cancellations were that many plans failed to meet the minimum standard set fourth by the new healthcare law..
19-12-2013, 01:10 AM
I actually have SO little faith in the US government that what makes the most sense to me is that this administration actually didn't even KNOW what they were promising when they kept saying people could keep their plans. What would be WORSE is that they were so ignorant and uniformed about what was REALLY in the bill, or what would be the results of the bill, that they didn't even KNOW what they were saying. From what I've seen of bureaucracies, it makes more sense to me think they were totally incompetent and inept, (which I'm afraid this admin has proven itself to be more than once), than to actually give them the further CREDIT of actually knowing what they were doing , and giving them credit for intentionally lying. I think they are just so stupid they didn't even know what they were saying. Until proven otherwise, I say they were too stupid to lie. He doesn't even deserve this award.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post