Obama administration and illegal immigration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Obama administration and illegal immigration
A new report finds that the Obama administration gave 1.2 million work permits to illegal immigrants that weren't legally allowed to have them between 2009-2014.

http://cis.org/government-data-reveal-mi...rk-permits

Death is a debt we all must pay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Patriot10mm's post
02-02-2015, 12:15 PM
RE: Obama administration and illegal immigration
Good.

I like to see a little generosity to help out (even in such a small way) those who are working to improve their position in life.

Very admirable.

Thumbsup

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
02-02-2015, 12:17 PM
(02-02-2015 12:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Good.

I like to see a little generosity to help out (even in such a small way) those who are working to improve their position in life.

Very admirable.

Thumbsup
Then why have laws? What about the immigrants that work and pay to do it the legal way?

02-02-2015, 12:45 PM
(02-02-2015 12:17 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  ...
Then why have laws? What about the immigrants that work and pay to do it the legal way?

In every country I have lived / worked, I've seen conservative opinion (lead by a conservative press) blaming immigrants (legal or otherwise) for all the country's woes.

Often these laws are written when conservatives are in power and overtly pandering to a conservative electorate (prodded by that conservative press).

Yet both conservative and progressive administrations will bend the rules or the friggin' economies would collapse.

Wisdom prevails when policy does not align to higher principles.

One would hope.

Smile

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
02-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Under an hour DLJ. Nice.

[Image: tumblr_lrs9mtry7Z1r1thdeo1_400_zpsyovymssn.gif]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
02-02-2015, 01:24 PM
(02-02-2015 12:11 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  A new report finds that the Obama administration gave 1.2 million work permits to illegal immigrants that weren't legally allowed to have them between 2009-2014.

The source's objectivity is questionable.

"Tanton set up groups like CIS and FAIR to take an analytical approach to immigration from a Republican point of view so that they can give cover to Republicans who oppose immigration for other reasons." - Chris Cannon

#sigh
02-02-2015, 01:36 PM
(02-02-2015 01:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 12:11 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  A new report finds that the Obama administration gave 1.2 million work permits to illegal immigrants that weren't legally allowed to have them between 2009-2014.

The source's objectivity is questionable.

"Tanton set up groups like CIS and FAIR to take an analytical approach to immigration from a Republican point of view so that they can give cover to Republicans who oppose immigration for other reasons." - Chris Cannon

From your own link, this group receives some funding from the federal government, including the census bureau and is run by a guy with the last name Nunez. To keep their funding they must be non-partisan.

02-02-2015, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 02:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-02-2015 01:36 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 01:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The source's objectivity is questionable.

From your own link, this group receives some funding from the federal government, including the census bureau and is run by a guy with the last name Nunez. To keep their funding they must be non-partisan.

If by funding from the federal government you mean "contracts" rather than "grants" then yes. Grants are subject to different standards than contracts. Nothing to prevent the Government from entering into a contract with Hobby Lobby or other organizations which wear their faith on their sleeve. Not only is the contracting officer not allowed to consider it, they're not even allowed to ask. Best value to the Government is all that matters. And I'm pretty sure 501©(3) status only prohibits direct involvement in political campaigns and limits the amount of lobbying. Don't think nonpartisanship is a requirement. BnW would know better than me but that's my read.

The nonpartisan NAACP is also a 501©(3). As is Planned Parenthood. And Media Matters.

#sigh
02-02-2015, 03:55 PM
BnW does not know. This sort of thing is not my bag, baby. There are some very specific rules and laws for contacting with the federal government, but it's not something I've ever been involved with.

What I do know is there are different ways of getting money from the gov. Charities are different than grants which are different from vendors which are different from whatever else they have. Some are based on tax rules, some are based on completely different criteria.

I have no idea who this group is so can't comment, but I'm always suspicious of reports like this. There are laws and bureaucracies are set up to operate within them. For a president, any president, to have a policy that requires a funded bureaucracy to change how they operate is a big deal. To have them change and break the law? I call bullshit.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
02-02-2015, 04:10 PM
(02-02-2015 03:55 PM)BnW Wrote:  For a president, any president, to have a policy that requires a funded bureaucracy to change how they operate is a big deal. To have them change and break the law? I call bullshit.
Pretty sure Obama did that anyway with his recent "executive order." Could be he had no direct involvement with this decision, like the IRS targeting. But people he appointed to positions are doing these things. That's why I labeled the thread Obama administration, not Obama himself.