Obama being flamed for Egypt. Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Obama being flamed for Egypt. Why?
It seems that when things are going decent for most of the world, we Americans like to criticize our government for being too forward with our foreign policy. Trying to police the world and such. But when the shit really and legitimately hits the fan somewhere, we are outraged that our leaders didn't do more to thwart the situation.

We go from professing to not care what other countries do. And then we complain when they fail. And it is not because the trouble over there could hurt us. Oh no! Its because democracy has failed. Because everyone knows that an idiot that was voted upon is better than one that wasn't. That is the idea around my area anyway.

Syria and Egypt are both being talked about constantly around here, and everybody is blaming Obama for not doing anything about them. I am no fan of the guy, but it seems that folks are more concerned with his perceived failure than what is actually going on. I get so tired of people immediately blaming our leaders for everything that happens. They may be worthy of contempt, but they are certainly not responsible for every evil in the world IMO.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Obama being flamed for Egypt. Why?
Where is here?

As for the criticism- I'll take note a couple things that may be contributing to him taking heat:

(1) got a Nobel prize before doing much of anything
(2) promised great improvements with ME countries and factions which has arguably gotten worse (e.g. Russia, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, NK is probably a push but they suck anyway)
(3) for purely political reasons, he has denied that their was a military coup in Egypt in order to continue military aid to the g'ment there despite the obvious falsehood
(4) has angered many of our european friends with the defense of our spying programs

By getting the Nobel prize its like he was the #1 pick at QB. He will take more heat than warranted when things go bad.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
15-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I always interpreted the Nobel Peace prize as a way to smack the Bush administration. Obama didn't ask for the prize so I don't know how he gets blamed for anything based on that.

As for the rest, those are valid points. It's so rare to hear actual criticism of the Obama administration these days. The right seems to have gone off the deep end makes crazy things up most of the time. But these are real things. I don't think any other administration would have done things much differently. We have a lot less influence on other countries than we like to admit.

What would you like to see the administration do in response the the situation in Egypt?
15-08-2013, 04:59 PM
(15-08-2013 04:39 PM)Houndentenor Wrote:  I always interpreted the Nobel Peace prize as a way to smack the Bush administration. Obama didn't ask for the prize so I don't know how he gets blamed for anything based on that.

The ones to blame are the idiots who sat in my capital and picked Obama because being the first black president of the US was hot shit. When Obama was given the price he was fucked in any case, if he refused, he would reject a "symbol" of peace. So he accepted it, and then went on with more buisness in the middle-east making him look like a hypocrite.

But that doesn't mean I feel any pity for him...

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
15-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:By getting the Nobel prize its like he was the #1 pick at QB. He will take more heat than warranted when things go bad.

And, to continue the analogy, like a first round pick he did not pick himself. Blame the Norwegians for that.

Obama is only slightly less guilty of this "DEMOCRACY - ONE SIZE FITS ALL" nonsense that was started by that dickhead Bush and his cronies. Democracy will never work in a place where the majority thinks that everyone who is not one of them should be killed.

The West went through some serious blood-letting to reach the point where people could agree to disagree without beating each other over the heads with clubs. The Arabs have clearly not learned from example so they are going to have to learn the hard way.

Quote:Perhaps 20 percent of Germany's total population perished during the war, with losses of up to 50 percent along a corridor running from Pomerania in the Baltic to the Black Forest. Villages suffered worse than towns, but many towns and cities also saw their populations, manufacture, and trade decline substantially. It constituted the worst catastrophe to afflict Germany until World War II. On the other hand, the conflict helped to end the age of religious wars. Although religious issues retained political importance after 1648 (for instance, in creating an alliance in the 1680s against Louis XIV), they no longer dominated international alignments.

http://www.history.com/topics/thirty-years-war

Aftermath of the Thirty Years War.
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
15-08-2013, 06:13 PM
(15-08-2013 05:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:By getting the Nobel prize its like he was the #1 pick at QB. He will take more heat than warranted when things go bad.

And, to continue the analogy, like a first round pick he did not pick himself. Blame the Norwegians for that.

Obama is only slightly less guilty of this "DEMOCRACY - ONE SIZE FITS ALL" nonsense that was started by that dickhead Bush and his cronies. Democracy will never work in a place where the majority thinks that everyone who is not one of them should be killed.

The West went through some serious blood-letting to reach the point where people could agree to disagree without beating each other over the heads with clubs. The Arabs have clearly not learned from example so they are going to have to learn the hard way.

Quote:Perhaps 20 percent of Germany's total population perished during the war, with losses of up to 50 percent along a corridor running from Pomerania in the Baltic to the Black Forest. Villages suffered worse than towns, but many towns and cities also saw their populations, manufacture, and trade decline substantially. It constituted the worst catastrophe to afflict Germany until World War II. On the other hand, the conflict helped to end the age of religious wars. Although religious issues retained political importance after 1648 (for instance, in creating an alliance in the 1680s against Louis XIV), they no longer dominated international alignments.

http://www.history.com/topics/thirty-years-war

Aftermath of the Thirty Years War.

"Word nigga, fuck John Ashcroft! Nigga, fuck Fox News! Fuck those snake-ass
bitches Tryin to manipulate your opinion, tellin you what to think
Word the fuck up, like "we invaded niggas 'cause we want to free them"
You racist motha fucka, you don't give a shit about those people
You can suck my dick!!"

-Immortal Technique

My sentiments exactly.... Only the US government could create a war to appease industrialists and bankers and only the US media could effectively market it with freedom. Also I've been listening to anarchist gangster rap all day.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Because he is the devil.

This was told to me by a local older lady, in all earnestness, after he got elected the first time.

She looked scared and very upset and believed this firmly.

I didn't ask who put that in her head...I wasn't about to get into a discussion about it, you could feel the strength of her delusion. She would have likely thrown me in a pot with him.

I felt sorry though for the lady who now had to live in constant fear because the devil was ruling her country.

So, of course, Egypt is his fault, as well as all the wildfires and floods and whatever has beset the world in the last few years.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-08-2013, 06:53 PM
(15-08-2013 06:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Because he is the devil.

This was told to me by a local older lady, in all earnestness, after he got elected the first time.

I didn't ask who put that in her head...I wasn't about to get into a discussion about it, you could feel the strength of her delusion. She would have likely thrown me in a pot with him.

I felt sorry though for the lady who now had to live in constant fear because the devil was ruling her country.

So, of course, Egypt is his fault, as well as all the wildfires and floods and whatever has beset the world in the last few years.

Yeah. It's pretty simple, really.

Who is responsible for evil?

Satan.

Who is Obama?

The Antichrist.

QED.

Checkmate, atheists.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
15-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Same shit, different day. All the righties are convinced the dude is the anti-christ, while all the lefties are convinced he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'll admit there's been some questionable acts, but he has (so far) been nowhere near as bad as Bush.

I personally think that this entire shit is stupid...playing the blame game because "oh those stupid libbies" or "Oh those stupid Teabaggers".

Just get over it, stop arguing and fix the fucking country...it's not that hard.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
15-08-2013, 09:16 PM
(15-08-2013 06:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 06:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Because he is the devil.

Yeah. It's pretty simple, really.

Who is responsible for evil?

Satan.

Who is Obama?

The Antichrist.

QED.

Checkmate, atheists.

Yup. My dad called him the antichrist in 08 and again in 12. He has now moved on to the pope. Because any church leader who would not openly condemn gays to burn must surely be the true antichrist. It never ends. Left or right. Good or evil. D or R. Theist? Atheist? Agnostic maybe? So many labels and so much hate for such small reasons.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer