Obama: executive action to expand background checks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 09:02 PM
According to sources, Obama is moving to expand background checks to all gun sales, using executive action and bypassing Congress.

Presidents don't make laws. Every American should be against this. The Constitution doesn't give presidents this authority.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...0-12-31-01

I hope he doesn't go this route.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2015, 09:06 PM
RE: Obama: executive action to expand background checks
I want to understand what's wrong with background checks? Why many do not want it? it must be some reason.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
10-12-2015, 09:08 PM
(10-12-2015 09:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  I want to understand what's wrong with background checks? Why many do not want it? it must be some reason.

It's the executive order he's arguing against, not the background checks themselves. That's a whole different debate Smile That said I've seen numerous such "threats" over the past couple years that haven't actually materialized.

'Murican Canadian
10-12-2015, 09:10 PM
(10-12-2015 09:08 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 09:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  I want to understand what's wrong with background checks? Why many do not want it? it must be some reason.

It's the executive order he's arguing against, not the background checks themselves. That's a whole different debate Smile That said I've seen numerous such "threats" over the past couple years that haven't actually materialized.

Oh, I understand this. But still I want to understand why many do not want those loop holes to be closed? it sounds reasonable.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
10-12-2015, 09:15 PM
I don't mind background checks for all sales. Honestly it really has no affect on me other than the inconvenience.

My problem is this president thinks he can create law with his pen. And if the congress passes a law overriding his executive order, he'll just veto it, effectively making him all powerful.

It's not supposed to work like this.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
10-12-2015, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 09:29 PM by yakherder.)
(10-12-2015 09:10 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 09:08 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It's the executive order he's arguing against, not the background checks themselves. That's a whole different debate Smile That said I've seen numerous such "threats" over the past couple years that haven't actually materialized.

Oh, I understand this. But still I want to understand why many do not want those loop holes to be closed? it sounds reasonable.

It isn't one of the bigger issues to me personally, but the argument is generally along the lines of universal background checks not being possible without universal registration, and universal registration not being useful for any other purpose than as a list to keep handy in case of a theorized gun grab.

Another argument is that it would increase the likelihood of illegal purchases by those who would be made unable to purchase legally.

My primary issue with it is simply that it would be a waste of resources better spent elsewhere. Aside from that it's not a huge issue because I not only freely admit that I own firearms and a massive amount of ammunition (by most peoples' standards), but often store my firearms at the police station's armory. They are, therefore, quite aware of what I've got, registration or not.

Beyond that, I take issue with any firearm regulation that comes from a federal level. I'm all about letting the states handle their own business.

'Murican Canadian
11-12-2015, 08:49 AM
[Image: 7b2515b3146a24fae9eb8d0b86fedbe8.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 13 users Like Erxomai's post
11-12-2015, 10:21 AM
(11-12-2015 08:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  [Image: 7b2515b3146a24fae9eb8d0b86fedbe8.jpg]

People aren't as driven by their desire for safety as they'd like to believe, even if they've convinced themselves that this is the case.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
11-12-2015, 10:51 PM
(10-12-2015 09:02 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  According to sources, Obama is moving to expand background checks to all gun sales, using executive action and bypassing Congress.

Presidents don't make laws. Every American should be against this. The Constitution doesn't give presidents this authority.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...0-12-31-01

I hope he doesn't go this route.

I wish him luck.

Stark's use of exec action has generally been regarded as a positive move around here.

Even still, this exec action would still only address the symptoms rather than the disease.

Consider

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
11-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Doesn't matter. Background checks being forced to two weeks actually dialed back the requirements for some states, like California, which used to require 21 days before being forced to go to 2 weeks by federal mandate. Background checks are only going to work for the law-abiding citizens. This isn't rocket science, and anyone who doesn't get that is thick in the head. Law-breakers and terrorists don't give one pinch of feces about the laws of this country, they are just going to rob people and/or inflict damage based on their disturbed sense of whatever they think justice or reality is.