Obama: executive action to expand background checks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2015, 07:27 PM
RE: Obama: executive action to expand background checks
The reason I give a shit about what people two hundred years dead thought about how societies should work is because they wrote the document that once ratified by the states legitimized our current government. It is far from perfect, but it is what we have. It spells out how our government is organized, who holds what authority and even has provisions as to how to go about changing it. While I'm often not happy about the way our government operates the one action they can take that I fear above all others is ignore the provisions in the document that gives them power. If you think that it is OK for the government to bypass the rules as long as they are doing something you think needs to be done then I'm sorry, but we are going to have to disagree.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
15-12-2015, 09:56 PM
(15-12-2015 01:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think some people need to look up the meaning of the word "militia".

No where in that definition does it imply just a regular person.

It doesn't mean "people".

Did anyone say it did? Consider

A militia is composed of people. Hence, the people's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed since those people that form a militia need arms.

A militia is a transient thing, not a standing army.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2015, 10:03 PM
(15-12-2015 03:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 03:04 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  We are all the militia. There are so many quotes by the founders on the militia and their intent that entire books could be filled.

Yeah, no. Property-owning white men were the militia.

Yabut, we're all "property-owning white men" today. Drinking Beverage

15-12-2015, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2015 12:13 AM by Full Circle.)
(15-12-2015 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 05:28 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  SCOTUS also says corporations are people who are allowed free speech through bribing politicians. Your argument is rendered invalid.

And:
[Image: c63e6c91b715ccd4c94deaffd673b1a6.jpg]

There really is no more excuse to continue to manufacture weapons of mass destruction for private citizens. Sorry, not sorry. Drinking Beverage

Then let's stop manufacturing cars. Drinking Beverage

You told me on another thread that hyporbole doesn’t advance the discussion and here I’ll tell you that neither do bad analogies.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-12-2015, 02:51 AM
(15-12-2015 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  Then let's stop manufacturing cars. Drinking Beverage

Japan and Germany support this motion.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
16-12-2015, 06:39 AM
(16-12-2015 02:51 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  Then let's stop manufacturing cars. Drinking Beverage

Japan and Germany support this motion.

I support no cars and free public transportation with really futuristic tech in it Drooling
16-12-2015, 07:05 AM
(15-12-2015 03:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 03:04 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  We are all the militia. There are so many quotes by the founders on the militia and their intent that entire books could be filled.

Yeah, no. Property-owning white men were the militia.

and blacks weren't even considered 'people' back then
16-12-2015, 07:35 AM
(16-12-2015 07:05 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 03:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yeah, no. Property-owning white men were the militia.

and blacks weren't even considered 'people' back then

That is not an accurate statement. Yes discrimination was rampant and slavery existed from before the Revolutionary War until well after, but there were free blacks too. Some of them were property owners. Some of them were successful business types. Some of them owned slaves. The man generally counted as the first casualty of the war was a half black half American Indian merchant sailor killed at the Boston Massacre. Free blacks and slaves fought for the militia and the continental army. There were two black men, one a slave the other a freeman, in the boat with George Washington when he crossed the Delaware. No, blacks were not given the right to vote, and blacks slaves were only counted as three fifths for census purposes but women didn't get to vote either. Yet I don't hear anyone claiming women weren't considered people.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
16-12-2015, 07:53 AM
(15-12-2015 10:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

You told me on another thread that hyporbole doesn’t advance the discussion and here I’ll tell you that neither do bad analogies.

It's not actually that bad an analogy.

We could have a society without personal vehicles and use only mass transit and hired vehicles with professionally-trained drivers,
and bring the road deaths down from the tens of thousands to a very few thousands or even hundreds.
Highway deaths are largely preventable as they are caused by poorly-trained or incompetent or inattentive or distracted drivers and their poorly maintained vehicles.
These deadly objects should only be possessed and operated by trained professionals.

16-12-2015, 09:34 AM
New poll shows majority of Americans don't want an assault weapons ban (first time in over 20 years of this poll), don't trust the government to prevent terrorist attacks and believe we have a better chance of stopping attacks by carrying guns.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/now-oppos...d=35778846

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]