Obama: executive action to expand background checks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 11:22 AM
RE: Obama: executive action to expand background checks
(16-12-2015 10:24 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 07:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  It's not actually that bad an analogy.

We could have a society without personal vehicles and use only mass transit and hired vehicles with professionally-trained drivers,
and bring the road deaths down from the tens of thousands to a very few thousands or even hundreds.
Highway deaths are largely preventable as they are caused by poorly-trained or incompetent or inattentive or distracted drivers and their poorly maintained vehicles.
These deadly objects should only be possessed and operated by trained professionals.

I still think it’s a bad analogy but just for the fun of it let’s compare the two.

Purpose of design: transportation vs killing
(That almost any tool or household item can be used as a deadly weapon renders this comparison moot)

I could probably stop there but let’s go on.

Ability to easily conceal: advantage guns.
(Even a mini-Cooper won’t fit in a handbag or under a trenchcoat so I’m told)

Registration, tag, yearly renewal of license and transfer of title: advantage vehicles.

https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2013/0...s-to-cars/
"So let’s legislate guns just like we legislate motor vehicles:

Learners permit at age 15 and a formal test required for a license at 16.
This kind of law would prevent deaths of young children who are taken by their parents to firing ranges to “try out” weapons. Or parents letting their kids shoot a gun in any situation. Just as a nine-year old isn’t allowed to drive a car, so they shouldn’t be allowed to fire a 9 mm Micro Uzi. It is doubtful children firing automatic weapons was the intention of our founding fathers when they crafted the second amendment. Hunting is no exception. Kids can’t drive a car or truck for any purpose and nor should they be shooting a firearm.

Require renewal of the license every 2-3 years.
I have to renew my driver’s license, why not renew a license to (own) a gun?

Require a different license for different classes of weapons.
A driver of an 18 wheeler requires a different license. Handling a vehicle of that size with air brakes is very different from driving an automatic, 6 cylinder car. If you want to purchase a semi-automatic weapon, it should require a different license*

Registration. Cars have to be registered, so all guns should be too. Remember, we’re saying guns are no more lethal than cars, so if it’s good for a car it’s good for a gun. Registering a weapon doesn’t infringe on the right to own. Gun licensing and registration will create government jobs!

Require gun insurance.
If I ever intend on driving my car, I need insurance, so that same standard should apply to firearms. Safe gun owners (gun not stolen and used in a crime, no accidents around the house, trigger locks etc.) will get breaks, and the insurance money can be used to pay hospital bills (just like car insurance) if you inadvertently injure someone with your weapon.*

Safety testing.
I have to get my car smog tested every 2-3 years, so why not bring the gun in for inspection? Failure to present the gun without proof of legal sale would imply illegal sale or theft and impart significant penalties. Gas stations do smog testing, so firing ranges could easily step up to the plate as I am sure they are advocates of gun safety and maintenance.

Tax ammunition.
Heavily. Gasoline is taxed. Heavily. However, ammunition is relatively cheap. For example, a 40 round magazine for an AK-47 can be purchased online for $29.99, which is less than a dollar a bullet and far less than a tank of gas. I propose a steep tax on ammunition that exponentially increases with the size of the magazine. The tax money can go for education about gun safety or to pay medical expenses for victims injured in gun crimes.

Prevent online sales of ammunition.
Since you can’t buy gasoline online for home delivery, you shouldn’t be able to buy ammunition online. Alaska; California; Cook County, IL; Hawaii; Massachusetts; New York City; and Washington, D.C. already restrict shipping ammunition from online sales, so why not the rest of the country? If it’s illegal in several states and D.C. the laws preventing online sales must have survived legal challenges, so it’s time to go national.

Require trigger locks.
Cars have locks to prevent theft and protect children from climbing in and starting the car. No one argues, “Cars shouldn’t have a key for the ignition in case you are being chased so you can make a quick getaway.” If you can take time to start your car, you can take time to start your gun. The news is rife with stories of teenagers or young children either accidentally or intentionally killing with a gun from the home. A lock could prevent this. Obviously, people can choose to leave their guns unlocked, but… (see below).

Require more of gun manufacturers.
If 15 people a year were killed by a Prius in a freak accident Toyota would be all over it, yet somehow gun manufacturers get away with no press after gun deaths. I’m not talking about homicides, but accidental ones. Like the five people shot by accident at gun shows on gun appreciation day. Not quite 100 people a year were killed by vehicles backing up, but car manufacturers responded with rear-end camera and alarms. Couldn’t gun manufacturers find a way to make guns safer? To make trigger locks difficult to bypass? Car manufacturers want to keep their drivers and occupants safe, shouldn’t gun manufacturers do the same?”

And finally the Economist reports that for the first time ever there are more gun deaths for people under 26 than vehicle caused deaths.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-sta...-v-bullets

[Image: 20150110_USC666.png]

As to learners permits, I would love to allow 16 year Olds to buy guns.

Renewal of licenses
You need a license to own a car? Like just to keep a car in the garage and never drive it? Or do you mean operate a car like one does when they CCW that already requires renewal?

Different licenses for different weapons.
Mechanically there are two main types of firearms.
Manual (revolvers, bolt action) and semi-auto. Your likening it to a 18 wheeler is disengenious at best. It's like requiring different licenses for stick shift vs automatic transmission.

Tax ammunition
Unconstitutional. You cannot attempt to limit a right or the exercise of one through excessive taxation. BTW... why do you mean a grater magazine? A magazine is an accessory to a weapon that can be manufactured to any capacity.

Online sales.
You are a moron. Yes you can, all you need is a pump station. While you are on the topic of combustible fuel, how about propane or heating oil. Dishonest mofo.

Require trigger locks.
A permanent lock on a gun unless it is at the range or being fired is unconstitutional under Heller.

Require more.
More dishonesty. If people used a prius to kill on purpose no back up camera or pedestrian warning would have done anything. With guns and the accidental discharge WTF do you propose? They had to pull a freaking trigger for the gun to go off and that is kind of the point without having to recite the alphabet backwards.

Is this some cut and paste garbage you got from a dumbazz that thought they were being clever with laws?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2015, 11:27 AM
(15-12-2015 05:28 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 05:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are wrong and SCOTUS said so.

SCOTUS also says corporations are people who are allowed free speech through bribing politicians. Your argument is rendered invalid.

And:
[Image: c63e6c91b715ccd4c94deaffd673b1a6.jpg]

There really is no more excuse to continue to manufacture weapons of mass destruction for private citizens. Sorry, not sorry. Drinking Beverage

What about the 4th Amendment?

Why not have warrentless, random inspections by CPS and Officer Friendly for just having ones biological children? They could find poisons unsecured, fire hazards, choke hazards, all manner of safety violations.
17-12-2015, 11:29 AM
(15-12-2015 02:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 02:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It doesn't say the right of the militia to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The militia is simply provided as a reason for that right.

It doesn't begin with every person must own a gun. It begins with well regulated militia.

The part of the sentence provides context for the rest of of it.
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

An individual can't say they're a militia, nor can they claim to be part of one just because you own one gun or 20. It must be a well regulated militia, I would reason that means police, military, etc...

Someday our lawmakers will see their grave error, but don't worry many more people will die before that ever happens.

Sad
You should read 10 USC 311.
[+] 1 user Likes Gatheist's post
17-12-2015, 11:37 AM
(15-12-2015 06:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The US needs to immediately initiate a gun buyback scheme as the Australian federal government did 19 years ago.

In 2012, the Guardian published new statistics drawn from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and Small Arms Survey showing only "30 homicides by firearm" annually in Australia, or "0.14 per 100,000 population."

Over the same period, Americans suffered "9,146 homicides by firearm," at a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 population. And 60% of murders in the US are committed with a gun, according to the Guardian, compared to 11.5% in Australia.

—And the figures don't lie. Wake up America!

The gun buyback was a confiscation scheme that paid the citizens that owned gun with their own money via taxes.

But sure, we could have a confiscation scheme by Obama. I give it about three months before "rebels" find where he is drag him behind a pick up and lynch the barely alive body from a nice oak tree.

I will be watching with a cup of tea and play strange fruit from my Ipod. Perhaps I will even use Obama's dead corpse as target practice if he orders confiscation of firearms.

No violence towards our dear leader while he is alive of course.
17-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Protip: it is possible to be pro-gun without being a flaming asshole about it. Numerous people on this forum manage it every day.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-12-2015, 12:22 PM
(17-12-2015 12:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Protip: it is possible to be pro-gun without being a flaming asshole about it. Numerous people on this forum manage it every day.

My boyfriend calls it being catty and he likes me this way. As to my cattyness, if people don't type logical fallacies or ideas akin to some thing I find on CARM then I would not need to.
17-12-2015, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2015 01:31 PM by Full Circle.)
(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  As to learners permits, I would love to allow 16 year Olds to buy guns.
Not buy you dipshit, read the paragraph.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Renewal of licenses
You need a license to own a car? Like just to keep a car in the garage and never drive it? Or do you mean operate a car like one does when they CCW that already requires renewal?
Your reading comprehension is abysmal. What don’t you understand about renewing a gun license similar to a driver’s license?

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Different licenses for different weapons.
Manual (revolvers, bolt action) and semi-auto. Your likening it to a 18 wheeler is disengenious at best. It’s like requiring different licenses for stick shift vs automatic transmission.
You have said nothing here to discredit my point and again you misinterpret what was written.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Tax ammunition
Unconstitutional. You cannot attempt to limit a right or the exercise of one through excessive taxation. BTW... why do you mean a grater magazine? A magazine is an accessory to a weapon that can be manufactured to any capacity.
*greater, a word not used.
Think tobacco dumbass.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)‘Gatheist Wrote:  Online sales.
You are a moron. Yes you can, all you need is a pump station. While you are on the topic of combustible fuel, how about propane or heating oil. Dishonest mofo.
Let me clarify since your ability to understand concepts seems limited. Combustible materials may not be shipped/mailed via USPS or a carrier such as FedEx.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Require trigger locks.
A permanent lock on a gun unless it is at the range or being fired is unconstitutional under Heller.
Ergo the suggestion to come up with a solution, biometric trigger guards come to mind numbnuts.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Require more.
More dishonesty. If people used a prius to kill on purpose no back up camera or pedestrian warning would have done anything. With guns and the accidental discharge WTF do you propose? They had to pull a freaking trigger for the gun to go off and that is kind of the point without having to recite the alphabet backwards.
WTF are you talking about? How old are you?

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)‘Gatheist Wrote:  Is this some cut and paste garbage you got from a dumbazz that thought they were being clever with laws?
You don’t agree with something I say, fine, make your counter arguments, hopefully better ones than what you write here. There are ways to address your disagreements without being a total cunt about it. You chose to go the cunt route so I suggest you go take some reading classes while you go fuck yourself. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-12-2015, 01:47 PM
(17-12-2015 01:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  As to learners permits, I would love to allow 16 year Olds to buy guns.
Not buy you dipshit, read the paragraph.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Renewal of licenses
Your reading comprehension is abysmal. What don’t you understand about renewing a gun license similar to a driver’s license?

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Different licenses for different weapons.
Manual (revolvers, bolt action) and semi-auto. Your likening it to a 18 wheeler is disengenious at best. It’s like requiring different licenses for stick shift vs automatic transmission.
You have said nothing here to discredit my point and again you misinterpret what was written.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Tax ammunition
Think tobacco dumbass.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)‘Gatheist Wrote:  Online sales.
Let me clarify since your ability to understand concepts seems limited. Combustible materials may not be shipped/mailed via USPS or a carrier such as FedEx.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Require trigger locks.
Ergo the suggestion to come up with a solution, biometric trigger guards come to mind numbnuts.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  Require more.

(17-12-2015 11:22 AM)‘Gatheist Wrote:  Is this some cut and paste garbage you got from a dumbazz that thought they were being clever with laws?
You don’t agree with something I say, fine, make your counter arguments, hopefully better ones than what you write here. There are ways to address your disagreements without being a total cunt about it. You chose to go the cunt route so I suggest you go take some reading classes while you go fuck yourself. Drinking Beverage

Learners permit.
The use of a learners permit of a vehicle is to operate it in public. If you want to use the driving analogy then don't use false equivocation.

Renewal of Drivers license.
What is the purpose of a drivers license? To operate a vehicle on the PUBLIC ROADS not to own a car. If you were honest you would require a license to own a car as it can be driven (illegally) without a license.

Different types of licenses.
What is the functional difference mechanical between am AR15 and a glock?

Ammo shipments
You must be one of those Atheists that are not skeptics. Perhaps you watch the left version of Fox News.
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour...ition.html

Biometic Trigger Locks
I will use them once ALL government employees are required to use them ( including secret service) for a period of ten years and only those smart guns. A single change to a non-smart gun for any reason should prohibit government laws on smart guns for citizens. Oh wait, the New Jersey police exempted themselves from using them.

Taxes.
Things like smoking are not Constitutional rights.
17-12-2015, 01:55 PM
(17-12-2015 01:47 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 01:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Not buy you dipshit, read the paragraph.

Think tobacco dumbass.

Learners permit.
The use of a learners permit of a vehicle is to operate it in public. If you want to use the driving analogy then don't use false equivocation.

What is the purpose of a drivers license? To operate a vehicle on the PUBLIC ROADS not to own a car. If you were honest you would require a license to own a car as it can be driven (illegally) without a license.

Ammo shipments
You must be one of those Atheists that are not skeptics. Perhaps you watch the left version of Fox News.

Biometic Trigger Locks
I will use them once ALL government employees are required to use them ( including secret service) for a period of ten years and only those smart guns. A single change to a non-smart gun for any reason should prohibit government laws on smart guns for citizens. Oh wait, the New Jersey police exempted themselves from using them.

Taxes.

The point of a licence is to demonstrate you pass the qualifications to legally drive determined for the safety of yourself & others

So you don't care much for the 9th amendment?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
17-12-2015, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2015 02:24 PM by Gatheist.)
(17-12-2015 01:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 01:47 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  Learners permit.

Ammo shipments

Biometic Trigger Locks

Taxes.

The point of a licence is to demonstrate you pass the qualifications to legally drive determined for the safety of yourself & others

So you don't care much for the 9th amendment?

Is there a license required to OWN (BUT NOT DRIVE) a fully functioning car?

How are others harmed by merely owning a gun but not carrying it in public?