Obama: executive action to expand background checks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 06:45 AM
RE: Obama: executive action to expand background checks
(21-12-2015 03:29 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 09:20 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  The main issue here is placing liability on individuals to run a background check when that's not even available to most individuals without a hassle. I can't just call up and get a background check in 10min when selling a gun.

This is not the first time this argument came up. But that is not how background checks works. You don`t do a background check at the moment of the purchase but in the moment of applying for the permit.

You apply for a permit at your local licensing office, then they do a background check ( that can and should include a psychological evaluation ) and they grant or refuse to issue a permit. Then you take that permit and buy a gun in the gun store or from a private seller.
No hassle for the seller whatsoever.

Also, you apply for the exact type and number of the guns you want to purchase.

You haven't worked in a gun shop, have you???

I have......

When you purchase anything from a FFL dealer, you fill out a BATF form 4473. After you're done with that - the dealer must call in a NICS check to the FBI, who does a check of their records to see if there's a reason that the purchaser should be disallowed from making the purchase. If there is none, then the sale can proceeed. Or, there can be an objection - and the sale is not allowed. OR, if the FBI doesn't give any answer - the sale can go ahead after three days...

Getting a permit to purchase ahead of the purchase is strictly on STATE level -- and is not mandated in all states for all guns. Here in Michigan for instance, you need to get a permit to purchase for handguns, but not long guns (shotguns and rifles).

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2015, 07:09 AM
(21-12-2015 06:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 03:29 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  This is not the first time this argument came up. But that is not how background checks works. You don`t do a background check at the moment of the purchase but in the moment of applying for the permit.

You apply for a permit at your local licensing office, then they do a background check ( that can and should include a psychological evaluation ) and they grant or refuse to issue a permit. Then you take that permit and buy a gun in the gun store or from a private seller.

You haven't worked in a gun shop, have you???

I have......

When you purchase anything from a FFL dealer, you fill out a BATF form 4473. After you're done with that - the dealer must call in a NICS check to the FBI, who does a check of their records to see if there's a reason that the purchaser should be disallowed from making the purchase. If there is none, then the sale can proceeed. Or, there can be an objection - and the sale is not allowed. OR, if the FBI doesn't give any answer - the sale can go ahead after three days...

Getting a permit to purchase ahead of the purchase is strictly on STATE level -- and is not mandated in all states for all guns. Here in Michigan for instance, you need to get a permit to purchase for handguns, but not long guns (shotguns and rifles).

I was probably not clear in my post, I wasn`t describing how background checks work in US, I have no clue how they work or do you even have any, and I surely didn`t work in a gun shop in US , but how they work in not-gun-crazy countries and how they should work to avoid the hassle for the seller and also to have a better control over who should be permitted to own a gun.

You know, it would probably be a good idea for the US to look how other countries dealt with similar issues that you have. You could, no doubt, learn a lot.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
21-12-2015, 09:02 AM
(21-12-2015 07:09 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 06:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You haven't worked in a gun shop, have you???

I have......

I was probably not clear in my post, I wasn`t describing how background checks work in US, I have no clue how they work or do you even have any, and I surely didn`t work in a gun shop in US , but how they work in not-gun-crazy countries and how they should work to avoid the hassle for the seller and also to have a better control over who should be permitted to own a gun.

You know, it would probably be a good idea for the US to look how other countries dealt with similar issues that you have. You could, no doubt, learn a lot.

Or, we could tell you how to run YOUR country......

And we've got the guns to back it up....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-12-2015, 11:00 AM
(21-12-2015 06:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Getting a permit to purchase ahead of the purchase is strictly on STATE level -- and is not mandated in all states for all guns. Here in Michigan for instance, you need to get a permit to purchase for handguns, but not long guns (shotguns and rifles).
This was repealed about three years ago. We moved back to Michigan 2-1/2 years ago, since which I've purchased three handguns, two without a CPL and one with. A permit to purchase was not needed in any one of the three transactions.
21-12-2015, 03:24 PM
(21-12-2015 11:00 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 06:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Getting a permit to purchase ahead of the purchase is strictly on STATE level -- and is not mandated in all states for all guns. Here in Michigan for instance, you need to get a permit to purchase for handguns, but not long guns (shotguns and rifles).
This was repealed about three years ago. We moved back to Michigan 2-1/2 years ago, since which I've purchased three handguns, two without a CPL and one with. A permit to purchase was not needed in any one of the three transactions.

Tells you how long it's been since I sold guns retail......

(or had to get a permit to purchase --- got my CPL in 2001)

22-12-2015, 05:56 PM
(21-12-2015 03:29 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 09:20 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  The main issue here is placing liability on individuals to run a background check when that's not even available to most individuals without a hassle. I can't just call up and get a background check in 10min when selling a gun.

This is not the first time this argument came up. But that is not how background checks works. You don`t do a background check at the moment of the purchase but in the moment of applying for the permit.

That's how it works in my state. I buy a gun and in the store they call in and get a bg check and file the 4473. No BS "permits" for specific guns or anything like that. Making it into a system like you describe would make it far more inconvenient, and only for law abiding citizens. I prefer it being simple. Once I get my CHL in I'll be able to walk in and buy any gun no different than a hammer or saw at Lowe's.

Better without God, and happier too.
22-12-2015, 06:24 PM
(22-12-2015 05:56 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 03:29 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  This is not the first time this argument came up. But that is not how background checks works. You don`t do a background check at the moment of the purchase but in the moment of applying for the permit.

That's how it works in my state. I buy a gun and in the store they call in and get a bg check and file the 4473. No BS "permits" for specific guns or anything like that. Making it into a system like you describe would make it far more inconvenient, and only for law abiding citizens. I prefer it being simple. Once I get my CHL in I'll be able to walk in and buy any gun no different than a hammer or saw at Lowe's.

No, you will still have to have a NICS check done.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2015, 08:51 PM
(22-12-2015 06:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-12-2015 05:56 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  That's how it works in my state. I buy a gun and in the store they call in and get a bg check and file the 4473. No BS "permits" for specific guns or anything like that. Making it into a system like you describe would make it far more inconvenient, and only for law abiding citizens. I prefer it being simple. Once I get my CHL in I'll be able to walk in and buy any gun no different than a hammer or saw at Lowe's.

No, you will still have to have a NICS check done.
I suggest you read up on the law a bit, as you aren't informed here. CHL serves as a substitute for an NICS check in many states, including Texas. I have a CHL and know the law regarding firearms in my state better than you do, apparently. See this chart via the ATF: https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulation...rmit-chart

Better without God, and happier too.
22-12-2015, 11:25 PM
(10-12-2015 09:02 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  According to sources, Obama is moving to expand background checks to all gun sales, using executive action and bypassing Congress.

Presidents don't make laws. Every American should be against this. The Constitution doesn't give presidents this authority.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...0-12-31-01

I hope he doesn't go this route.

Oh goodie. Another gun thread from Lord dick head.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-12-2015, 06:00 AM
(22-12-2015 05:56 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  

Inconvenient? I find having nut cases , mentally unstable people, people with radical ideologies or felons prone to violence running around with legally purchased weapons far more inconvenient for law abiding citizens, then those law abiding citizen spending an hour or so at the licensing office.

Btw, how much time does it take for the store to call in and get your background checked and to file that 4473 and then to get your CHL ? Is it really that much more convenient then the system I described?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's