Obama, in Europe, signs Patriot Act extension

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Sad Obama, in Europe, signs Patriot Act extension
By: John Abrams

WASHINGTON (AP) — Minutes before a midnight deadline, President Barack Obama signed into law a four-year extension of post-Sept. 11 powers to search records and conduct roving wiretaps in pursuit of terrorists.

"It's an important tool for us to continue dealing with an ongoing terrorist threat," Obama said Friday after a meeting with French President Nicolas Sarkozy. (Full Article)

Violation of privacy so as to ascertain if someone is a terrorist. Lovely. Didn't Barack Obama promise to rescind the U.S. Patriot Act, when he was running for office?
Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 10:10 AM
RE: Obama, in Europe, signs Patriot Act extension
How can you tell if a politician is lying?

When his lips are moving...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 04:11 PM
At least he got rid of extraordinary rendition.
Hey , a small step forward but at least it's forward ...

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I can seriously say that this is the first thing he has done in office that I disagree with.

But it's a biggie. The Patriot Act is the prime example of what happens when you give away your freedoms through fear. It's not easy to get back.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
29-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Obama has to consider every action very carefully. I think he made the right choice. Let me ponder a scenario.

1: He gets it repealed.
a]: We suffer an attack. Republicans and Dems alike crucify him for repealing 'national defense measures.' He likely loses the election. Likely a republican comes in, but a Democrat might do the same thing. The new president works to reenact the PA, most likely with stronger powers and looser boundaries.
b] No attack is suffered. The general public doesn't say 'Good thing we got rid of that Patriot Act' because the general public doesn't live thinking about their privacy. They use Internet Explorer... so...
c] We foil a major attack plan: 'The intelligence work was done under the provisions of the PA. See why we need it? We got lucky. This time.'

2: He expends valuable time, but fails to get it repealed.
a] We suffer hypothesized attack. Republicans cry "See, and you wanted to get rid of the Act. Our President doesn’t have what it takes to protect this country. We need to strengthen the Patriot Act!'
b] We suffer no attack: 'Well of course not. We have the patriot act'
c] We foil a major attack: "Look at what the Patriot Act does. And your president wanted to kill it. What a terrorist.'

So I think he is saving his ammunition for other things.
Quote this message in a reply