Obama on guns. Viral vid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 09:19 AM
RE: Obama on guns. Viral vid
(13-06-2016 08:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Hypothetical question, if I could do a Harry Potter and wave a magic wand and remove guns from American streets my question would be would American society then be happy for there to be more rigorous gun control ? I'm not sold they would be. As it is I can see you are kinda stuck with the situation you've got. No easy answers or fixes unfortunately.

That depends. Is everyone else allowed to carry magic wands without a permit or background check, or just you?

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-06-2016, 09:27 AM
(13-06-2016 08:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 08:39 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I would be happy for better gun control if I knew it wouldn't put civilians in danger.
That's cool but I'm not convinced that would translate as being a majority view my point being that while for the most part you and onlinebiker have convinced me that you do need firearms for personal protection in the USA there is also a large component of people liking even loving their guns so even if there was a solution or a magic wand it wouldn't make any difference because people don't want it to which is what I find saddening.
How many people even own guns in the US? I ask because my maniac cousins distort the ratio. They have this thing called "The Big 50", meaning the fifty clan members who have the most guns. Current total for that group is in excess of 1,500 guns.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2016, 09:40 AM
(03-06-2016 11:59 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 11:02 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  The person asking the question didn't mention concealed carry.

Which question was that?

Why liberal cities where concealed carry is not allowed still has a gun problem and no one can defend themselves.

That has to do with economics, not just guns. More excuses. It is bullshit to claim more guns will solve the problem. The problem has always been that we manufacture way too many and they are way too easy to get.

Obama told the truth in that video. Unless the GOP and the blood lobby obstructionists get the fuck out of the way. And not just on guns, but on economics, you will not have any reduction on gun deaths.

Take out mass shootings and gang violence, it still remains that most injuries and deaths happen in the home. That is not a urban vs rural issue. This is coded bullshit to blame minorities.

It still is bullshit lie that liberals want us to become a fascist state. Nobody wants to live under dictators. That bullshit lie needs to stop.

The GOP and blood lobby NRA plays the same shell game to avoid our flooded market.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
13-06-2016, 09:49 AM
(13-06-2016 09:40 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  It still is bullshit lie that liberals want us to become a fascist state. Nobody wants to live under dictators. That bullshit lie needs to stop.

The GOP and blood lobby NRA plays the same shell game to avoid our flooded market.

The Hard Right/Isolationists said FDR was going to be dictator based on the Selective Service Act of 1940. So, no, it's not going away.
13-06-2016, 10:05 AM
(13-06-2016 08:41 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 08:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That's an example of poor parenting rather than "evil guns"....

More kids die every year of accidental poisoning with household chemicals or prescription drugs than by accidental firearms discharges.

Where's the outrage????

Ban Chlorox???

It's eeeevill........
I've seen that NRA-chant before. We put child-proof caps on bleach bottles because of the history of unfortunate events. But locks on guns? "MUH RATZ!"

Massachusetts requires any gun not under one's control to be locked or in a locked container.
It also requires that every new gun sold come with an approved locking device.

There are other states with similar laws.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-06-2016, 10:09 AM
(13-06-2016 09:27 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 08:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  That's cool but I'm not convinced that would translate as being a majority view my point being that while for the most part you and onlinebiker have convinced me that you do need firearms for personal protection in the USA there is also a large component of people liking even loving their guns so even if there was a solution or a magic wand it wouldn't make any difference because people don't want it to which is what I find saddening.
How many people even own guns in the US? I ask because my maniac cousins distort the ratio. They have this thing called "The Big 50", meaning the fifty clan members who have the most guns. Current total for that group is in excess of 1,500 guns.

About a third of households and a third of individuals report having a gun. The true number is undoubtedly somewhat larger.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-06-2016, 10:22 AM
(13-06-2016 10:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 08:41 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I've seen that NRA-chant before. We put child-proof caps on bleach bottles because of the history of unfortunate events. But locks on guns? "MUH RATZ!"

Massachusetts requires any gun not under one's control to be locked or in a locked container.
It also requires that every new gun sold come with an approved locking device.

There are other states with similar laws.
How many states? How is that enforces? Any numbers on how many gun owners follow those laws?
13-06-2016, 10:22 AM
(13-06-2016 10:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 09:27 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  How many people even own guns in the US? I ask because my maniac cousins distort the ratio. They have this thing called "The Big 50", meaning the fifty clan members who have the most guns. Current total for that group is in excess of 1,500 guns.

About a third of households and a third of individuals report having a gun. The true number is undoubtedly somewhat larger.

Sorry, but I got wonky when I see "about" associated with a number.
13-06-2016, 10:52 AM
(13-06-2016 09:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 08:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Hypothetical question, if I could do a Harry Potter and wave a magic wand and remove guns from American streets my question would be would American society then be happy for there to be more rigorous gun control ? I'm not sold they would be. As it is I can see you are kinda stuck with the situation you've got. No easy answers or fixes unfortunately.

That depends. Is everyone else allowed to carry magic wands without a permit or background check, or just you?

Oh hell just me of course because I'm special and differentTongue
Find all posts by this user
13-06-2016, 11:06 AM
(13-06-2016 10:52 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 09:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  That depends. Is everyone else allowed to carry magic wands without a permit or background check, or just you?

Oh hell just me of course because I'm special and differentTongue

In the Potterverse you had to complete Hogwarts or equivalent to use magic. Hagrid didn't finish and had to hide his in a pink parasol.