Obama on guns. Viral vid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 11:59 AM
RE: Obama on guns. Viral vid
(06-06-2016 11:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've never understood the whole "carry a gun on your person to protect yourself" argument. It would seem that any time someone is going to mug or attack you with a gun, they already have it drawn. You'd have to be one impressive quick draw expert to be able to defend yourself from someone who already has a gun drawn on you. Do they typically announce their intentions before the attack?

It seems the only way it'd help is either if you preemptively draw it if you feel threatened (escalation much?) or if you pull your gun to protect someone else.
Yeah I'm no fan of the wild wild west mentality where every knucklehead in the saloon has his gun ready "just in case".

When any Joe or Jill can kill with the squeeze of a trigger, I just imagine more cases like Zimmerman.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 12:55 PM
(06-06-2016 11:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've never understood the whole "carry a gun on your person to protect yourself" argument. It would seem that any time someone is going to mug or attack you with a gun, they already have it drawn. You'd have to be one impressive quick draw expert to be able to defend yourself from someone who already has a gun drawn on you. Do they typically announce their intentions before the attack?

It seems the only way it'd help is either if you preemptively draw it if you feel threatened (escalation much?) or if you pull your gun to protect someone else.

It works wonderfully - when they pull out a knife....... Or a hammer, a screwdriver or damned near anything else they'd like to wield as a weapon........

Aren't the wonderful gun control laws supposed to keep the bad guys from getting guns???????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
06-06-2016, 01:08 PM
I won't deny that the average bubble dwelling person goes about his or her business with the situational awareness of a sack of potatoes, face buried in an iPhone, and ear buds blocking out any other queues that might otherwise grab their attention despite their best efforts to have it completely absorbed by something more entertaining than the real world. They are, indeed, probably fucked whether armed or not. Such people are also just as likely to be victims whether the prospective assailant is armed or not.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
06-06-2016, 01:14 PM
(06-06-2016 12:55 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

It works wonderfully - when they pull out a knife....... Or a hammer, a screwdriver or damned near anything else they'd like to wield as a weapon........

Aren't the wonderful gun control laws supposed to keep the bad guys from getting guns???????

Actually in the latest round of high profile shootings many obtained their guns legally.

So yeah, I'd say we have a gun problem. If you're on a "no fly list" there's zero reason you should be allowed to buy a gun. If you're mentally ill, you shouldn't be able to purchase a gun either. No way no hell, should my autistic spectrum child be allowed as an adult to buy a gun, yet once he turns 18 he can legally do so -- and I couldn't even stop him.

I don't really care if you, Chas or anyone else has one gun or 300 and I don't think the average person gives a crap about YOUR guns either.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-06-2016, 01:17 PM
It is possible to draw on a person who has already drawn on you, but it requires training and distraction techniques. One-on-one, you're probably beat, but that'd be true whether you had the gun or not.

Also, as OLB pointed out in the other thread, it would certainly keep four guys from jumping out of a car to beat you up and leave you with traumatic brain injury, as happened to the son of one of our members (whom I shall not name without permission).

The issue is that the NRA, with their fearmongering tactics and outright lies, is blocking every attempt at the national level to solve the problem, including even studying exactly what's going on, as in his example of the people whom we know are ISIS sympathizers (one of whom just walked up and shot a cop back in January) who can nevertheless purchase a gun. Without a national-level solution, local governments are implementing Bad Idea™ "solutions" that don't fix the problem and actually leave citizens in more danger.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
06-06-2016, 01:40 PM

I know in advance that you're going to disagree, but the theory works like this:

Perp approaches Vic with weapon out. Let's just say it's a gun, and let's say Perp has robbed people before. Let's also say that Perp is your average thug that doesn't use his weapon for anything but robbery, and possibly hasn't ever pulled the trigger.

Meanwhile, Vic has never been a vic before. However, like your average gun owner, he goes to the range, even if infrequently, and is familiar with his weapon. Let's also say that he firmly believes in the idea that you should never draw your weapon unless you intend to shoot, and is the type of person who is emotionally equipped to follow through.

Perp not only expects Vic to go into his pocket, he actually wants him to do it. When Vic begins to do exactly what Perp wants, he has already set in motion the mental mechanism to fire as soon as he's on target. Assuming Perp recognizes the gun for what it is, as soon as the muzzle is out of Vic's pocket, he has less than a second to react.

What that reaction will be depends on several variables. First, however, remember that he's expecting a wallet to come out of the pocket/purse/pouch, and it will take a measurable amount of time for him to shift paradigms.

So, he can shoot, surrender or run away. As I said, there are several variables that determine what Perp does in the next split second, but the odds are he's totally inexperienced with the concept of his mark fighting back with deadly force; he's therefore most likely to do none of the three actions, but rather will freeze in incomprehension. Vic, otoh, has trained, even if badly, for approximately this scenario and has already made up his mind what he's going to do.

So, decide for yourself who comes out on top.

BTW, legally, as long as he doesn't put any bullet holes in Perp's back, Vic gets off scott free no matter what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
06-06-2016, 03:37 PM
(06-06-2016 11:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've never understood the whole "carry a gun on your person to protect yourself" argument.

Easy. Paranoia and fear.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-06-2016, 04:53 PM
(06-06-2016 03:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 11:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've never understood the whole "carry a gun on your person to protect yourself" argument.

Easy. Paranoia and fear.

The same could be said for anyone's stance on almost any issue. The only difference between all the irrational people in this charming world is how they direct their paranoia and fear.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
06-06-2016, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 05:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-06-2016 03:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

Easy. Paranoia and fear.

And a neurotic sense of insecurity about the inability to defend oneself without deadly weapons. Wait, that might be the same as paranoia.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Anybody compared defensive gun uses to accidental shootings?

Oh, and https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/defensi...-hemenway/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post