Obama on guns. Viral vid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: Obama on guns. Viral vid
(07-06-2016 10:43 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its so encouraging to hear you say that, but after being here for nearly a year I have come to realise that challenging my American friends regarding gun control is a pointless exercise and absolutely guaranteed not to win friends and influence people,
I regard the American love affair with firearms like two people involved in a toxic relationship, I'm pretty sure I have heard every argument / excuse regarding guns and gun violence under the sun and have come to the conclusion that to argue against firearms is utterly pointless its ingrained with over two hundred years of history behind it into the American psyche and besides there are so many guns in circulation now that effective gun control including against criminals is all but impossible.
There is no solution things are the way they are. Its just sad to me that you are going to continue to have sandy hook incidents ad infinitum.
Everything I quoted here looks like something out of my own mind.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2016, 10:49 AM
(07-06-2016 10:44 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 09:24 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I want to agree with you and for the most part I do but here in Britain where guns are not readily available youngsters and gangbangers carry blades a lot and stabbings are horribly frequent.
That's a good point. I'm trying to look up the homicide rates in england and it looks like from sep '14 to sep '15 there was only like 574 homicides. That seems rather low. I could look into homicide rate over population, but I don't want to put my energy towards that at the moment. No matter what, violence is an issue. More powerful weapons just makes the issue worse. With guns being as ubiquitous as they are in the US, it's a recipe for disaster.

I guarantee that if we had access to firearms like you do that murder rates would be comparable also our population is only a fifth of yours
07-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Odd....

I'd think somebody would WANT to look at the statistics, before making a judgement like that....

And....

Funny -- armed to the teeth -- the US is 99th, in the homicide game......

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info...ion-people

There's a whole lot of places in the world, that you're far more likely to be murdered -- and you can't own any guns there......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-06-2016, 11:05 AM
(07-06-2016 10:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Odd....

I'd think somebody would WANT to look at the statistics, before making a judgement like that....

And....

There's a whole lot of places in the world, that you're far more likely to be murdered -- and you can't own any guns there......

Personally and I mean personally I would be looking at wether its a first world or developing country also which countries where you cannot own guns and have a higher murder rate than the USA have effective anti smuggling abilities I would consider those factors important in forming the statistics. Also I'm not actually anti gun I consider uk policy over reactive in many respects.I'm also sure as heck not gonna tell my American friends how to conduct themselves I realise that's not right, its only my opinion.
07-06-2016, 11:07 AM

And....

Well yes, but almost all of those countries are "developing" and/or politically unstable. I didn't see any European country in the top 100, unless you count Ukraine -- and they are politically unstable. The US is remarkably high on the list for a supposedly "civilized" country.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
07-06-2016, 11:22 AM
(07-06-2016 11:07 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

And....

Well yes, but almost all of those countries are "developing" and/or politically unstable. I didn't see any European country in the top 100, unless you count Ukraine -- and they are politically unstable. The US is remarkably high on the list for a supposedly "civilized" country.

Ummm Estonia? It's a country in Europe and is not a developing country and is higher than the US.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
07-06-2016, 11:29 AM
(07-06-2016 11:22 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 11:07 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well yes, but almost all of those countries are "developing" and/or politically unstable. I didn't see any European country in the top 100, unless you count Ukraine -- and they are politically unstable. The US is remarkably high on the list for a supposedly "civilized" country.

Ummm Estonia? It's a country in Europe and is not a developing country and is higher than the US.

OK, they're an outlier, and I missed them, but my basic point remains. If you remove all the developing and/or politically unstable countries from the list, the US would not be #99. It would be very near the top.
07-06-2016, 11:30 AM
(07-06-2016 11:22 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 11:07 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well yes, but almost all of those countries are "developing" and/or politically unstable. I didn't see any European country in the top 100, unless you count Ukraine -- and they are politically unstable. The US is remarkably high on the list for a supposedly "civilized" country.

Estonia is also ex eastern bloc where firearms left over from the fall of the communist era are rife its also one example compared to many who are developing countries and do not have effective anti smuggling abilities. There will always be exceptions to the rule but to be honest its academic lecturing you imho it's disrespectful and pointless
07-06-2016, 11:31 AM
(07-06-2016 10:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 09:24 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I want to agree with you and for the most part I do but here in Britain where guns are not readily available youngsters and gangbangers carry blades a lot and stabbings are horribly frequent.

That's a good point. We do have a violence problem in the world. I think the issues I've got with guns is that you'd don't have to be within arms reach for them to do what their intended to do.

Which is a good thing if you are weak, small, aged, handicapped, or simply out-muscled by an attacker.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2016, 11:36 AM
(07-06-2016 11:07 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

And....

Emphasis on 'supposedly'. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post