Obama orders 'full review' of election hacking reports

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2016, 11:39 AM
RE: Obama orders 'full review' of election hacking reports
(10-12-2016 11:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was part of a protest march a week ago and it's not because we "didn't get our way" it's because the person who won is an asshole. I wasn't thrilled about George Bush winning either but I knew he had some governmental experience and I accepted that he was the president. trump is the president too but he's a fucked up, thin skinned narcissist who is going to fuck this country up and, god damnit, I'm gonna have a few things to say about it!
I'm not talking about peaceful protest marches, I'm talking about people settings cars on fire, trashing buildings and attacking police officers (which I assume you didn't do). And I think the other side, in an alternative universe where Clinton won the election, would say that they're not rioting because they "didn't get their way" either but because the person who won is corrupt and so on.

(10-12-2016 11:25 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Violent riots? I didn't heard anybody died or even were seriously injured during those riots. Broken store windows and a few damaged cars doesn't make a violent riot in my opinion. It's actually pretty lambda. Unless entire streets were sacked, over a dozen police officers injured and mass arrests were necessary, I woudn't call it violent.
Just because you didn't hear about them doesn't mean that they didn't happen. Your completely arbitrary definition of what constitutes a violent riot aside (according to the dictionary definition, riots are inherently violent), a police officer was injured so badly that he had to be hospitalized at one of said riots and some 150 people were arrested that night.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2016, 11:47 AM
There is a difference between peaceful demonstrations (which unfortunately always attract some lunatics, no matter who's demonstrating for what) and taking up weapons.

That's the difference between the two groups.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
10-12-2016, 11:53 AM
(10-12-2016 11:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 11:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was part of a protest march a week ago and it's not because we "didn't get our way" it's because the person who won is an asshole. I wasn't thrilled about George Bush winning either but I knew he had some governmental experience and I accepted that he was the president. trump is the president too but he's a fucked up, thin skinned narcissist who is going to fuck this country up and, god damnit, I'm gonna have a few things to say about it!
I'm not talking about peaceful protest marches, I'm talking about people settings cars on fire, trashing buildings and attacking police officers (which I assume you didn't do). And I think the other side, in an alternative universe where Clinton won the election, would say that they're not rioting because they "didn't get their way" either but because the person who won is corrupt and so on.

(10-12-2016 11:25 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Violent riots? I didn't heard anybody died or even were seriously injured during those riots. Broken store windows and a few damaged cars doesn't make a violent riot in my opinion. It's actually pretty lambda. Unless entire streets were sacked, over a dozen police officers injured and mass arrests were necessary, I woudn't call it violent.
Just because you didn't hear about them doesn't mean that they didn't happen. Your completely arbitrary definition of what constitutes a violent riot aside (according to the dictionary definition, riots are inherently violent), a police officer was injured so badly that he had to be hospitalized at one of said riots and some 150 people were arrested that night.

I live in Portland Oregon where some of what you describe happened. The people that did the smashing of cars were anarchists who came from outside the state and some were just young men looking for an excuse to do a bunch of shit and didn't care about the election at all. I'd guess that 98% of those who were marching were NOT violent but that's not what makes it into the news.

The day after the smashing of cars and windows several of the actual, real protesters came back and helped clean up the mess that the anarchists had done. A go fund me page was set up to help pay for the damage by the protesters. None of this was ever in reported in the national news though.

I'm going to the million woman protest here in Portland too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-12-2016, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 03:20 PM by epronovost.)
@Vosur

Since riots are indeed violent by definition, a violent riot express the idea that a riot was more violent than your classical ones. Having a police officer injured and 200 arrest isn't abnormal in terms of violence and damage compared to other riots or even protest in the USA. The Dakota Access Pipeline protests are more violent than the protest following Trump's election. So, unless I am misinformed which is the case since I didn't have much interest in those demonstrations, it seems they were pretty standard protests, very few of which turned into riots and those riots themselves were far from being exceptionnaly violent and dangerous. Considering the level of vitriol during the election and the fact that Trump victory is marred by his pretty big loss in popular vote, group protesting can be a sign of good health for a democracy up to a certain point. Lets hope this very nebulous point that I can't describe precisely will not be passed following those recent revelations.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
10-12-2016, 12:38 PM
(10-12-2016 11:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is a difference between peaceful demonstrations (which unfortunately always attract some lunatics, no matter who's demonstrating for what) and taking up weapons.

That's the difference between the two groups.

It's probably just me, but for some reason I found this to be one of the most violent demonstrations I've ever seen and I lived through the DC riots way back in the day. Disturbing too. What's mom doing there? Is she gonna bag 'em and tag 'em? Spotter?

[Image: bundy_zpspr52tzqi.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
10-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Where is that?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-12-2016, 01:03 PM
(10-12-2016 12:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Where is that?

Bunkerville, NV. Many of those in the American patriot's sights are law enforcement officers.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-12-2016, 07:18 AM
"Obama orders 'full review' of election hacking reports"

[Image: large.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-12-2016, 07:34 AM
(11-12-2016 07:18 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  "Obama orders 'full review' of election hacking reports"

Yep, Trump is pathetic. During the campaign he repeatedly, repeatedly, said that the elections were rigged. Then the secret service investigates and agrees.

Meanwhile, Trump wins and now the secret service is irrelevant.

Democracies depend on the people's trust in the elections. If the population doubts the veracity of the outcome, it needs to be investigated. No one wants to vote in elections that are rigged. Whatever would be the point?

It's bipartisan, both parties have an interest in proper elections.

Or not?

[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
11-12-2016, 07:37 AM
(11-12-2016 07:18 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  "Obama orders 'full review' of election hacking reports"

I fail to see what is pathetic about the current system administrator ordering a system rundown after potential grievous errors in data compilation were reported...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post