Obama retools his political operation for post-Trump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 08:03 AM
RE: Obama retools his political operation for post-Trump
(10-01-2017 11:32 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 08:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...g-history/
appointments to the national labor relations board are the president's right
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_La...ions_Board

Oh well. 1/3 is a flunk, but at least it's not zero, like LDH, who tried to say executive orders were "The anti American way is Obama's legacy" as he thought we are all as ignorant as he is.

And yet the Supreme court ruled unanimously, reversing Obama's appointments.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...eae332dff4

Withholding consent on a nominee is the Senate's constitutional right, which is precisely what the Senate was doing when it refused to appoint Obama's nominees to the NLRB. Obama disregarded that right of the Senate to withhold their consent and made his appointments anyway, declaring on his own that the Senate was not in session when in fact the Senate was holding pro-forma session expressly for the purpose of withholding their consent to Obama's nominees.

I will note that the article above also points out that the Democrats' decision to nuke the filibuster made this case a bit less momentous in its outcome due to the fact that thanx to the Democrats, Presidents no longer have to try to obtain bipartisan support for their nominations. Democrats were all in favor of increasing the power of the presidency when their guy was in power--they are regretting it now, though. To his credit, at least Chuck Schumer advised against nuking the filibuster for presidential nominees. Now he has to live with this new power the Democrats gave the presidency, with no real ability to challenge Trumps nominations.

Perhaps you didn't read the whole article you posted.
"Obama made appointments to the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) at a time when the Senate was holding pro forma sessions every three days precisely to thwart the president’s ability to exercise the power.

“The Senate is in session when it says it is,” Justice Stephen G. Breyer wrote for the court, stressing that if the Senate is able to conduct business, that is enough to keep the president from making recess appointments.

But the court stepped back from handing Obama — and those who will follow him in the Oval Office — a more substantial loss. A bare majority of the justices upheld, in theory at least, the president’s ability to make recess appointments when the Senate is indeed on extended break, saying history weighs in favor of a broad power.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 08:43 AM
I'm not up on American politics so I'll ask what might seem a dumb question but are we talking here about all of Obama's achievements being wiped out by the upcoming Trump administration and how likely is this to happen?
11-01-2017, 10:13 AM
(11-01-2017 08:43 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm not up on American politics so I'll ask what might seem a dumb question but are we talking here about all of Obama's achievements being wiped out by the upcoming Trump administration and how likely is this to happen?

Yes, this is indeed the subject debated. In addition to this, we are also debating the quality of Obama's presidency. LDH claims that Obama's presidency was desastrous because of his abuse of power due to his usage of executive orders. Others, like myself, have replied that his presidency wasn't marked by abuse of power due to the fact he made very little executive orders compared to his predecessors and, while some of them were rejected, it wasn't in abnormal numbers. I also argued that the idea of Obama's presidency being marked by abuse of presidential powers was due to both a deadlock congress and senate and a reporting bias that distort the perception of Obama's usage of executive powers. From my point of view, that's were we are right now.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
11-01-2017, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 11:48 AM by adey67.)
(11-01-2017 10:13 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 08:43 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm not up on American politics so I'll ask what might seem a dumb question but are we talking here about all of Obama's achievements being wiped out by the upcoming Trump administration and how likely is this to happen?

Yes, this is indeed the subject debated. In addition to this, we are also debating the quality of Obama's presidency. LDH claims that Obama's presidency was desastrous because of his abuse of power due to his usage of executive orders. Others, like myself, have replied that his presidency wasn't marked by abuse of power due to the fact he made very little executive orders compared to his predecessors and, while some of them were rejected, it wasn't in abnormal numbers. I also argued that the idea of Obama's presidency being marked by abuse of presidential powers was due to both a deadlock congress and senate and a reporting bias that distort the perception of Obama's usage of executive powers. From my point of view, that's were we are right now.

Thanks for that epronovost, American politics is rather complicated compared to British politics we essentially have the house of lords and the house of commons you guys have congress senate house of representatives caucuses( whatever they are) its all quite confusing.
BTW there we are Dom back on track, the train has been re railed, my apologies dear lady but Gilgy is just too juicy a target to resist.
11-01-2017, 10:55 AM
(11-01-2017 10:51 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Thanks for that epronovost, American politics is rather complicated compared to British politics we essentially have the house of lords and the house of commons you guys have congress senate house of representatives caucuses( whatever they are) its all quite confusing.

"Congress" is a term for the Senate and House combined. You can think of the Senate as (very) loosely analogous to the House of Lords and our House of Representatives as the House of Commons. Congress would be "Parliment".

Caucuses are just committees with a fancy name.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-01-2017, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 11:43 AM by adey67.)
(11-01-2017 10:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 10:51 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Thanks for that epronovost, American politics is rather complicated compared to British politics we essentially have the house of lords and the house of commons you guys have congress senate house of representatives caucuses( whatever they are) its all quite confusing.

"Congress" is a term for the Senate and House combined. You can think of the Senate as (very) loosely analogous to the House of Lords and our House of Representatives as the House of Commons. Congress would be "Parliment".

Right, so a member of the house of representatives is called a congressman even though technically congress is the combination of THR and the Senate? I really should have researched this myself but I fully admit I'm a lazy bastard however you guys have explained this better than Wikipedia ever could, thank youSmile
11-01-2017, 11:46 AM
(11-01-2017 10:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

Actually caucuses are just subgroups of aligned congressmen or senators. The Democratic caucus includes all elected Democrats and the 2 independents. There are dozens of caucuses ranging from the entire party down to only a few members. Honestly it is mostly just clubs for socializing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-01-2017, 12:09 PM
(11-01-2017 11:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 10:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  "Congress" is a term for the Senate and House combined. You can think of the Senate as (very) loosely analogous to the House of Lords and our House of Representatives as the House of Commons. Congress would be "Parliment".

Right, so a member of the house of representatives is called a congressman even though technically congress is the combination of THR and the Senate? I really should have researched this myself but I fully admit I'm a lazy bastard however you guys have explained this better than Wikipedia ever could, thank youSmile

A member of the House of Representatives is technically a Representative. Congressman is more generic term and can be used for members of both Houses.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
11-01-2017, 12:20 PM
(11-01-2017 11:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Right, so a member of the house of representatives is called a congressman even though technically congress is the combination of THR and the Senate? I really should have researched this myself but I fully admit I'm a lazy bastard however you guys have explained this better than Wikipedia ever could, thank youSmile

Is a member of the House of Commons not an MP?

We have Federal 3 branches:
Administrative (President/VP)
Legislative (Congress -- subdivided into Senate and House of Reps)
Judicial (Supreme Court + Federal District Courts + not worth getting into lower levels)

Where it gets really confusing is that sometimes a Senator is called a 'representative' (which is not the same as a 'Representative' so all Representatives are representatives and all representatives are congressmen and all congressmen are representatives but not all representatives are Representatives Big Grin). State governments will vary in how they are set up and what terms they each use.

11-01-2017, 12:23 PM
(11-01-2017 12:09 PM)tomilay Wrote:  A member of the House of Representatives is technically a Representative. Congressman is more generic term and can be used for members of both Houses.

... and we talk about "both Houses" even though the Senate is never called the House of Senators so it is a House but not a "House". Hey, if it made sense we wouldn't need classes to teach it...