Obama the best Republican President since Reagan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2011, 01:33 AM
RE: Obama the best Republican President since Reagan?
The sad (or not so sad, depending on your POV) part is, the majority of people in this country are conservative. We liberals are just plain outnumbered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't Obama win in a landslide with a liberal platform? That would seem to negate this statement. Poll after poll of Americans on things like tax reform and stem cell research indicate that most Americans are actually left of centre in their political leanings. Unfortunately, the Republicans are better at getting their vote out, manipulating the system in their candidates' favour (anyone heard of Florida?) and have more money for political ads, which allows 30% of the electorate to win majorities, same as here in Canada, where we have the same problem with our Conservative and Liberal Parties (we don't fuck around with political party names up here). The Conservatives get all the corporate money and are better organized at election time, slanting the results in their favour so that the minority often wins the day. The cold reality is that the rich and right-wing social issue voters AlWAYS vote, while centrist or left-wing voters are notoriously prone to staying home on election day unless there is a HUGE motivator. Something as simple as bad weather can give an election to the right wing in either one of our countries, since anti-abortionists and millionaires concerned about the possibility of higher taxes will face epic blizzards to cast their vote, while sub-zero temperatures or heavy rain will keep the moderates at home.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 06:04 AM
It's indeed true that the rich go conservative, and often even campaign within their own businesses to convince employees to agree. The US's main issue of skew is that things like abortion are one to the other side, and I agree with SOSA, Buddy that was a horrible chart. That's generally the spectrum for who wins is whether an issue is so big all the fence people want it passed. Obama won because of his ethnic background. Everyone was praising him and doing everything they could to get him elected due to that. A large portion of people felt they'd get to stop working and he'd get em all loads of money. Then he got in office and they found out ethnicity isn't gonna change much.

Whether it's a democrat or a republican few things really ever change because too often the party is switched for opposite answers, and generally the president is fighting the house and senate. US citizens really shouldn't get that uptight about it though since we're in a republic. They already learned that you can vote whatever way you will, but that's just a vote for the guy who actually votes.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-03-2011, 06:11 AM
I disagree with your assessment that Obama won because of his ethnicity. If that was the case, Jessee Jackson would have won long ago, and we'd have had president Allen Keyes rather than Bush.

Obama didn't win because he's black. He won despite being black.
17-03-2011, 05:57 PM
And I come in the middle of the two of you on this. I think if everything about Obama was exactly the same except he was white, he never, ever would have won the nomination. A first term senator with an ivy league education, liberal voting record, good speaking skills and happens to be white has no chance of beating Clinton during the primaries. Change the color of his skin and he's John Edwards (except less of a douchebag than Edwards is).

That said, I don't think he won the Presidency because he's black and think that probably cost him a few votes. I think the main reason he won the election, though, is because the economy just tanked, we just bailed out the banks with TARP, and he was not associated with the party who was being blamed for the whole mess. It didn't hurt him that McCain picked a vacuous bimbo for a running mate and consistently proved he had no idea what was wrong with the economy or how to fix it. That election was pretty much handed to the Democratic candidate on a platter, regardless of who the candidate was.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-03-2011, 09:59 PM
(17-03-2011 06:11 AM)gamutman Wrote:  I disagree with your assessment that Obama won because of his ethnicity. If that was the case, Jessee Jackson would have won long ago, and we'd have had president Allen Keyes rather than Bush.

Obama didn't win because he's black. He won despite being black.

Jesse Jackson has almost no real fans. He's a horrible person, and everyone knows it. Also he only rallied to black communities ignoring the rest of the ethnicities. If he had even had the chance to be elected people would've completely given up on the system then.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.