Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty
New Hampshire still does not have mandatory auto insurance, though because it is mandatory that you pay for damages you cause, most people still get it.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2015, 09:16 AM
(29-07-2015 01:47 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A couple of days ago, I was chatting with a friend who has his own janitorial company. Its a small company....basically himself and couple of family members. He sure like his Obamacare. He likes it so much that he made it a point to tell me that he was working with his accountant to keep his gross income below X amount of $ in order to keep his Obamacare subsidy.

I asked him how he will ever get ahead if government programs that he depends on create incentives for him not improve and grow his business? He didn't have an answer. Does anyone here have an answer?

Tax brackets do the same - you have to stay below a certain profit point, if necessary you spend money on expensive lunches and what have you, or hire people you don't need, or give money away or the tax man will take so much of your money that you have even less profit.

Pretty much everything government does hinders small business and helps big business.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-07-2015, 10:06 AM
(29-07-2015 08:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 06:44 AM)BnW Wrote:  Biker - I wasn't aware there were states in the past 40 years that didn't have mandatory auto insurance requirements. I thought that was universal since at least the early 70s.

California enacted mandatory insurance in 1988, iirc. My insurance went up $20/month within a year ... no accidents, no tickets.

eta: it was 1988, Prop 103.

It was before 1988 - I'm absolutely certain on this point..... Must have been 1982 or so...

I got in a fender bender on my Norton in 1985 - and because I didn't have insurance - I lost my license for a year - even though the other driver was at fault (I had witnesses as well).

Just my luck tho - that they'd changed it.......

It sucked riding around for a whole year without a license -- but it did add a certain "spice" to it....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-07-2015, 10:08 AM
(29-07-2015 10:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 08:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  California enacted mandatory insurance in 1988, iirc. My insurance went up $20/month within a year ... no accidents, no tickets.

eta: it was 1988, Prop 103.

It was before 1988 - I'm absolutely certain on this point..... Must have been 1982 or so...

I got in a fender bender on my Norton in 1985 - and because I didn't have insurance - I lost my license for a year - even though the other driver was at fault (I had witnesses as well).

Perhaps in Michigan?
29-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Uh... No ..... it's my knees, not my memory that's going.....

At least I think it's the knees....

It was in Marin Co, Ca - 1985..... Absolutely certain...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-07-2015, 10:19 AM
I had no idea there were still states playing around with mandatory insurance coverage. Color me surprised. I thought it was universal for a long, long time. So, I stand corrected.

As for the rates going up, I'd guess that having a flood of people you'd rather not insure now buying insurance from you probably increases the number of pay outs and increases the rates. And, having a captured audience doesn't hurt either.

Timing of this discussion is interesting as I've just signed up for a million dollar umbrella policy.My oldest will be driving in under 2 years and I want to get the additional coverage now while it's still affordable. The extra coverage is pretty cheap too, just $150 for the year. I had to buy a million dollar policy for a 1 day event for something last year and it cost me more than 3X that amount.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
29-07-2015, 10:27 AM
103 passed in 1988. Before that, insurance was optional, OLB.
29-07-2015, 11:25 AM
I got out of the service in 1986..

I lost my license for not having insurance and getting in an accident that was not my fault in 1985.

I'm quite certain of the dates -- not sure why I would of lost my license - if insurance wasn't manditory.....

Dunno...

29-07-2015, 12:43 PM
It's all good. /derail
29-07-2015, 01:00 PM
(29-07-2015 09:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  Tax brackets do the same - you have to stay below a certain profit point, if necessary you spend money on expensive lunches and what have you, or hire people you don't need, or give money away or the tax man will take so much of your money that you have even less profit.

Obamacare incentivizes poverty. I have to wonder if this is actually going to make people worse off healthwise. It keeps people poorer and poor people tend to have poorer health than rich people.