Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2015, 01:30 PM
RE: Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty
(29-07-2015 12:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It's all good. /derail

Yeah -- once I got out - it wasn't too bad getting a Michigan license....

Just had to call my godfather (for real) - who at the time worked directly for Richard Austin -- Michigan Secretary of State.....

Had my new license in the mail two days later (with a picture 8 years old)....

Thanx Uncle Art...(first time I told anybody that -- tis cool -- Uncle Art died last year... he won't mind)..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-07-2015, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2015 08:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-07-2015 01:00 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 09:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  Tax brackets do the same - you have to stay below a certain profit point, if necessary you spend money on expensive lunches and what have you, or hire people you don't need, or give money away or the tax man will take so much of your money that you have even less profit.

Obamacare incentivizes poverty. I have to wonder if this is actually going to make people worse off healthwise. It keeps people poorer and poor people tend to have poorer health than rich people.

Of course it does. That was always the intent. Instead of the poor white trailer trash, lazy porchmonkeys, and rapists with calves the size of cantalopes dying on the way to the hospital in late stage shit in an ambulance is preferable to keeping them alive long enough to vote. This is just basic triage.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-07-2015, 07:28 PM
(29-07-2015 09:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  Tax brackets do the same - you have to stay below a certain profit point, if necessary you spend money on expensive lunches and what have you, or hire people you don't need, or give money away or the tax man will take so much of your money that you have even less profit.

Obamacare incentivizes poverty. I have to wonder if this is actually going to make people worse off healthwise. It keeps people poorer and poor people tend to have poorer health than rich people.

Yeah, you already said that, and provided no support for your assertion. The ACA also prevents bankruptcies, the leading cause of which are medical bills. You find a study that supports your assertions, or else they are dismissed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-07-2015, 08:37 PM

Poorer people don't have poorer health because they are poor. They have poorer health because they didn't have health care. Now that they do, their health should improve. Are you really that dense?

As for it incentivizing poverty, I call bullshit. You make it sound before this law was passed we were all rich and none of this was a problem. The only real world change here is that people who were already poor now are poor with health care whereas before they didn't have it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
30-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Poor health in the poor is much more complex than lack of access to healthcare. Many wouldn't have the need for healthcare (diabetes and hypertension resulting in renal failure, strokes, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease...) if they had the money (and education) to properly take care of themselves. Outside of the occasional trip to the doc for strep throat, UTIs, etc.

*proper nutrition - I couldn't afford fresh fruit and veggies when I lived on $5.35/hr (minimum wage at the time, and then I got a "raise" to $5.50 when minimum wage was raised). In some of the more affordable (dangerous) neighborhoods they don't even have grocery stores, so chips and beanee weanees from the quickee mart it is.
*time for exercise - I just worked five 12 (really 13.5) hour shifts -no working out for me -sleep and work, oh, and no time to cook, either. So then someone on minimum wage, full time job PLUS part time job(s) so they can keep a roof over their heads - when are they gonna have time to work out?
*stress - If a person is trying to make the decision between paying the rent, putting food on the table, or paying the electric bill, they're sure as hell not planning a vacation to the mountains or hanging out at the lake on their off days. Gotta suck to know your kid's school has a gang problem but can't afford a better school district... Or hoping your POS car doesn't break down on the way to work and you lose your job, or hoping you get off work on time to not miss the final bus run of the evening...

These things set you up for very expensive, chronic health problems that further decrease quality of life.

I'd like to see government health care, no insurance companies, period. This would force the government to make a huge focus on the much less expensive *preventative* healthcare - lengthen years a person has the ability to be productive and decrease the need for healthcare and number of persons on disability. Would also decrease bankruptcy rates and costly visits to the ER. Utilize Nurse Practitioners and MDs appropriately - a 20 year old with no health problems doesn't need an MD to diagnose strep throat and order penicillin. An MD needs to be reserved for persons with complex health problems, emergency, and critical care - it's a waste of training and money, otherwise.

There are tons of ways to effectively decrease costs and still improve healthcare, I could write a damn book on it. But hey, what do I know, I'm "just a nurse."

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
30-07-2015, 01:19 AM
(30-07-2015 12:16 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Poor health in the poor is much more complex than lack of access to healthcare. Many wouldn't have the need for healthcare (diabetes and hypertension resulting in renal failure, strokes, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease...) if they had the money (and education) to properly take care of themselves. Outside of the occasional trip to the doc for strep throat, UTIs, etc.

*proper nutrition - I couldn't afford fresh fruit and veggies when I lived on $5.35/hr (minimum wage at the time, and then I got a "raise" to $5.50 when minimum wage was raised). In some of the more affordable (dangerous) neighborhoods they don't even have grocery stores, so chips and beanee weanees from the quickee mart it is.
*time for exercise - I just worked five 12 (really 13.5) hour shifts -no working out for me -sleep and work, oh, and no time to cook, either. So then someone on minimum wage, full time job PLUS part time job(s) so they can keep a roof over their heads - when are they gonna have time to work out?
*stress - If a person is trying to make the decision between paying the rent, putting food on the table, or paying the electric bill, they're sure as hell not planning a vacation to the mountains or hanging out at the lake on their off days. Gotta suck to know your kid's school has a gang problem but can't afford a better school district... Or hoping your POS car doesn't break down on the way to work and you lose your job, or hoping you get off work on time to not miss the final bus run of the evening...

These things set you up for very expensive, chronic health problems that further decrease quality of life.

I'd like to see government health care, no insurance companies, period. This would force the government to make a huge focus on the much less expensive *preventative* healthcare - lengthen years a person has the ability to be productive and decrease the need for healthcare and number of persons on disability. Would also decrease bankruptcy rates and costly visits to the ER. Utilize Nurse Practitioners and MDs appropriately - a 20 year old with no health problems doesn't need an MD to diagnose strep throat and order penicillin. An MD needs to be reserved for persons with complex health problems, emergency, and critical care - it's a waste of training and money, otherwise.

There are tons of ways to effectively decrease costs and still improve healthcare, I could write a damn book on it. But hey, what do I know, I'm "just a nurse."

Good post, its is too bad one dimensionals like BNW are too stupid to understand it. Income has a lot to do with behavior that lead to good health or bad health. Obamacare creates a situation where people have an incentive to maintain their current wealth deprived situation.

I also agree with you that the government should provide actual health care instead of health care insurance.
30-07-2015, 03:55 AM
Yep, one-dimensional. That's me. Makes it easy to fit in tight places, though.

Oh, and it's tough to take the comment seriously from the guy who keeps repeating the same dogmatic statement regardless of what other points are made and who never addresses things like root causes. But, you just keep on with your chant of "ObamaCare causes poverty" if it makes you feel better.

[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
30-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Do you actually believe that is sufficient reason for someone to want to be poor?

You are making a ridiculous argument.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-07-2015, 08:09 AM
He's a moron. That said, it is undeniable that people will respond to stimuli. If you are better off making a little less money, there is no doubt people will do that. We all respond to carrots and sticks. There are a lot of government programs that generate perverse behaviors for people in the economic margins. Sadly, we can't fix all problems and one size fits all government solutions steam roll a lot of people.

My own view is Obamacare was the worst solution we could have adopted, but its still an improvement over what we had prior. But , there is a lot of other things we can do.

When it comes to public health, less may be more. We subsidize the agriculture and lower prices for junk food. People at the bottom of the economic scale tend to eat a lot less healthy. There are higher levels of child obesity in poor areas because pasta and junk food is cheap and available.

There is no simple solution. But, complaining about one small aspect of a new law that at least provides health care to people that previously didn't have it is incredibly stupid and insincere.

But, that's just my one dimensional opinion.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
30-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Random bragging:
I'm covered by both Canadian social insurance and the U.S. military Tongue

'Murican Canadian