Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 11:53 AM
RE: Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty
(30-07-2015 11:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Random bragging:
I'm covered by both Canadian social insurance and the U.S. military Tongue

Wait till you try to use the coverage -- they're going to point at each other and say "YOU PAY"!!!

Tongue

Edit to add...
Actually the Americans will say "YOU PAY"..

The Canadians will say "YOU PAY, eh?"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-07-2015, 11:54 AM
(29-07-2015 01:00 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 09:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  Tax brackets do the same - you have to stay below a certain profit point, if necessary you spend money on expensive lunches and what have you, or hire people you don't need, or give money away or the tax man will take so much of your money that you have even less profit.

Obamacare incentivizes poverty. I have to wonder if this is actually going to make people worse off healthwise. It keeps people poorer and poor people tend to have poorer health than rich people.

The tax system incentivizes lack of progress. You hit a ceiling where you are unable to grow because the tax burden would kill you. Tax should be simple - a percentage of profits. Same for everyone. That would create an even playing field.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-07-2015, 11:56 AM
I mostly just use Canada for emergency visits and hop across the border when I need to go to the dentist, which isn't covered by commie care.

'Murican Canadian
30-07-2015, 11:58 AM
(30-07-2015 11:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I mostly just use Canada for emergency visits and hop across the border when I need to go to the dentist, which isn't covered by commie care.

sweet deal...

now ya just gotta figure out how to cash in two retirements....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-07-2015, 12:09 PM
(30-07-2015 11:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 11:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I mostly just use Canada for emergency visits and hop across the border when I need to go to the dentist, which isn't covered by commie care.

sweet deal...

Big Grin

Working on it. I can only use one version of social security, but I can still utilize retirement plans and pensions from different organizations simultaneously.

I could, for example, do the following:
• Stay in the National Guard until I can get the standard military retirement.
• Continue to feed most of my guard paycheck into a separate contribution based military retirement fund available only to members of the Vermont guard.
• Work my civilian(ish) job in Canada, which includes a pension.
• When I'm old enough, figure out which of the two countries I'd receive a higher social security check from and apply for that one.
• Retire, move to some random 3rd world country, and live fat with 4 different paychecks coming in.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
30-07-2015, 12:20 PM
(30-07-2015 12:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 11:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  sweet deal...

Big Grin

Working on it. I can only use one version of social security, but I can still utilize retirement plans and pensions from different organizations simultaneously.

I could, for example, do the following:
• Stay in the National Guard until I can get the standard military retirement.
• Continue to feed most of my guard paycheck into a separate contribution based military retirement fund available only to members of the Vermont guard.
• Work my civilian(ish) job in Canada, which includes a pension.
• When I'm old enough, figure out which of the two countries I'd receive a higher social security check from and apply for that one.
• Retire, move to some random 3rd world country, and live fat with 4 different paychecks coming in.

I say tell one you're your own evil twin - and get both...

Big Grin

30-07-2015, 12:58 PM
(30-07-2015 07:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 01:00 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Obamacare incentivizes poverty. I have to wonder if this is actually going to make people worse off healthwise. It keeps people poorer and poor people tend to have poorer health than rich people.

Do you actually believe that is sufficient reason for someone to want to be poor?

You are making a ridiculous argument.

Obamacare creates a situation where in the short term it is better to limit your income and keep the subsidy. In the long term this has a negative consequence. Upward income mobility is retarded(like BNW). This is an effect of Obamacare I am observing. Saying Obamacare incentivizes poverty is an accurate description of the facts.
30-07-2015, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2015 03:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-07-2015 09:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  Tax brackets do the same - you have to stay below a certain profit point, if necessary you spend money on expensive lunches and what have you, or hire people you don't need, or give money away or the tax man will take so much of your money that you have even less profit.

I don't think that's how a progressive tax system works. I only pay for the amount I earn in each bracket. I heard a doctor say he had to be careful to not earn $250,001 because that would put him in the 40% bracket. "You realize you only pay 40% on that $1 right?" "What do you mean." "Where are you a doctor so I can avoid you." And a flat-tax system is not fair it is regressive because it fails to take into account the law of diminishing marginal utility of money. $1 is worth far more to a poor person than a rich one.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-07-2015, 05:24 PM
(30-07-2015 12:58 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 07:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do you actually believe that is sufficient reason for someone to want to be poor?

You are making a ridiculous argument.

Obamacare creates a situation where in the short term it is better to limit your income and keep the subsidy. In the long term this has a negative consequence. Upward income mobility is retarded(like BNW). This is an effect of Obamacare I am observing. Saying Obamacare incentivizes poverty is an accurate description of the facts.

The subsidies are a sliding scale. If you earn enough to reduce your subsidy, you still end up with more money in you pocket. There is no incentive to stay poor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2015, 05:46 PM
(30-07-2015 05:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 12:58 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Obamacare creates a situation where in the short term it is better to limit your income and keep the subsidy. In the long term this has a negative consequence. Upward income mobility is retarded(like BNW). This is an effect of Obamacare I am observing. Saying Obamacare incentivizes poverty is an accurate description of the facts.

The subsidies are a sliding scale. If you earn enough to reduce your subsidy, you still end up with more money in you pocket. There is no incentive to stay poor.

That's a good point. I had forgotten about that when I responded earlier today. I suspect there are some overlap points, though, where with the increased tax burden you could be a little worse off earning more, but with a sliding scale the numbers are probably reasonably close to even. It's not going to be thousands of dollars per a year. It probably wouldn't be hundreds. I'd really have to do the math, but I doubt it's a big impact at any income level where you get subsidies.

But, don't expect any change in the mantra here. Mr. multi-dimensional thinker is going to probably stick to his pet phrase regardless of what details are thrown his way. The wonders of being an idealogue.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost