Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 05:26 AM
RE: Obamacare, keeping the poor in poverty
(31-07-2015 05:12 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  I forgive you for being a liar.

Thanks, but I am not lying in this instance. The Janitor is a real person.

Your claim that he isn't is just you making shit up in lieu of a cogent counter argument. Maybe your just a little upset that a janitor makes more money than you and that is clouding your thinking. However I bet if you apply yourself your life might actually go somewhere.

:rollseyes:

Surely you can do better than that.

Are you suggesting your janitor friend makes $80K? If that's the case, I'm trading in my stethoscope and picking up a mop.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
31-07-2015, 05:34 AM
(31-07-2015 05:12 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  However I bet if you apply yourself your life might actually go somewhere.

Funny old thing dickhead, I actually make decent money and do fulfilling work. Maybe you should stop projecting.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
31-07-2015, 06:04 AM
(30-07-2015 10:54 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  His facts are incomplete.

It is on a sliding scale until it hits the cliff.....and then it disappears completely.

Try this on an exchange. Create a fictitious household. Male 53, Female 52, child 13. Non tobacco users. The tax credit is $281.11 at a household income of $79,160. The tax credit is $0 at a household income of $79,161.

A $1 increase in annual income would cause the family to lose a $3372 annual tax credit.

Careful, those goalposts are heavy and you're going to throw your back out picking them up and moving them like that.

As for your point - yes, there is a limited income range where your supposed janitor who is well above the medium US income level is encouraged to stay in poverty if he can only earn an incremental $3,372 or less.

Tell me - what did he use for health care before? Sounds to me like he used nothing. How much do you think that costs in the long term? Probably nothing immediately since people like that never go to the doctor until there is a serious problem, and then they end up in the emergency room. You think the ER costs more or less than $3,372? And, who do you suppose picks up the tab.

Rightly or wrongly, government picks winners and losers all the time. In this instance, the winner is the guy who has health insurance who didn't previously have it. I'm not shedding any tears over his small problem of $3,372 before it's worth it for him to pay full freight.

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of Obamacare. I think it was the 2nd worst of all the options that were available to us. The only option that was worse was the one the Republicans offered - which was to do absolutely nothing and keep the system we had previously. Perhaps if they hadn't been such total assholes and refused to even come to the table we wouldn't have this new crappy (but less crappy than the status quo) system, but this is where we are.

Finally, please provide us links to all the forums you visited prior to the passing of ObamaCare where you railed against the injustice of your friend not having any health care at all. I'd really be interested to read those posts.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
31-07-2015, 06:06 AM
(31-07-2015 05:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:12 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  However I bet if you apply yourself your life might actually go somewhere.

Funny old thing dickhead, I actually make decent money and do fulfilling work. Maybe you should stop projecting.

You obviously lying about making decent money. You're too stupid to make decent money.
31-07-2015, 06:10 AM
(31-07-2015 06:06 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  Funny old thing dickhead, I actually make decent money and do fulfilling work. Maybe you should stop projecting.

You obviously lying about making decent money. You're too stupid to make decent money.

Laughat

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-07-2015, 06:22 AM
(31-07-2015 06:06 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  Funny old thing dickhead, I actually make decent money and do fulfilling work. Maybe you should stop projecting.

Wow you are immature.

It's simple, because to you this friend is poor, doesn't make them poor to any standards that matter in any context. Your opinion isn't a standard of a merit, nor is a singular opinion in most circumstances.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
31-07-2015, 09:22 AM
(31-07-2015 04:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 03:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  So now you're changing your argument from "it incentivises the poor to remain poor" to "it incentivises the rich not to get richer".

In my opinion the janitor is poor. Now he is purposely taking action to limit his income just to keep his Obamacare subsidy. Do I think he is smart by limiting his income? Certainly not over the long term. However many people only thing short term and Obamacare is screwing them over.

You're misplacing the responsibility. They are screwing themselves over.

And yeah, $80,000 is not poor.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
31-07-2015, 09:37 AM
My insurance premiums went from less than $300 a month, to almost $600 a month since Obamacare kicked in last year. They say premiums are going to skyrocket even more in 2016. What happened to the savings I was promised?
31-07-2015, 12:11 PM
(31-07-2015 09:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 04:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  In my opinion the janitor is poor. Now he is purposely taking action to limit his income just to keep his Obamacare subsidy. Do I think he is smart by limiting his income? Certainly not over the long term. However many people only thing short term and Obamacare is screwing them over.

You're misplacing the responsibility. They are screwing themselves over.

No, when earning $1 dollar more in annual income cost you $3300 you are not screwing yourself. You are being screwed by a fucked up system.
31-07-2015, 01:11 PM
(31-07-2015 12:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 09:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  You're misplacing the responsibility. They are screwing themselves over.

No, when earning $1 dollar more in annual income cost you $3300 you are not screwing yourself. You are being screwed by a fucked up system.

No, when you forgo long-term results for short-term reasons like this, you're being penny-wise and pound-foolish.