Obesity & Junk Food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Obesity & Junk Food
I know everyone wants to lose some weight but how many on TTA struggle with obesity? In the US this is a huge (pun intended) problem. My family has issues with it, one brother topped the scales at 505 lbs/229 kg! It took an operation to get him to lose weight. He has now lost half of that and is still 50 lbs/23 kg heavier than me! My father has always been overweight too. Bad diet, over-eating, little exercise...

"Adult obesity now exceeds 30% of the population in 20 U.S. states. In 2014, the rates of obesity surpassed 35% in three states...”

"This is a dramatic shift from previous generations. In 1980, no state had a rate above 15%, and in 1991, no state had a rate above 20%. Today, more than 30% of adults, nearly 17% of 2- to 19-year-olds, are obese.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/and-the...2015-09-22

Anyone here struggle with this? Any advice from those that have gone on diets and succeeded?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Obesity & Junk Food
I never had a problem with obesity.

After visiting the US, I realized the problem there is, indeed, huge. I gained weight while I was there, but that was mostly because I wanted to try everything, including all kinds of junk food.

I don't think it's hard to cook healthy meals, but if you're given such a huge amount of choices in pre-cooked/ready to serve meals in super markets, I can imagine it's hard to resist.

One basic problem that I noticed is that you can't easily have fresh food every day. The distances from homes to super markets are ridiculous, so time is limited too. What if you only need one ingredient for a recipe and it's 11pm, or even in the afternoon after work, but your kids will be home any minute? I guess that's how Americans end up stocking up on unhealthy food and stop buying fresh food regularly. My brother has been living there for almost two years and won't stop complaining about the fact that he can't cook anything he wants anytime.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 6 users Like undergroundp's post
22-09-2015, 12:24 PM
The entire food industry is designed to make you fat. You've got to realize that you need to develop certain habits to maintain a "healthy" weight. And these habits don't come naturally or easy. I've never been obese, but I've teetered towards overweight. I spent a good amount of time reading on nutrition and health. If I don't plan my food intake, I know I will overeat. I am the guy who used to eat a whole large pizza, cuz dammit it's good! Nowadays I think about my daily food intake or my weekly food intake and try to keep it relatively balanced and consistent. I don't count calories, but I have a general idea of how much energy I can get from eating certain foods, and put a stop on myself when I KNOW I've had enough. Special treats or special events are usually the only time I have sugary drinks/junkfood/dessert. I won't turn down food (that I like), almost ever! But I will plan around times when I will be eating poorly and try to compensate elsewhere.

Luckily for me, my mom didn't buy much junkfood or pop growing up. So the norm from me was eating homemade food my whole life.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
22-09-2015, 12:27 PM
(22-09-2015 12:16 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't think it's hard to cook healthy meals, but if you're given such a huge amount of choices in pre-cooked/ready to serve meals in super markets, I can imagine it's hard to resist.

That's the key right there. You have to resist your natural urge to consume as much as possible.

22-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I've always found it fascinating how we've become a historic anomaly in the fact that the wealth and obesity tends to have a negative correlation.

I've never had a big problem. I got a little chubby after returning from China, perhaps in celebration of being able to eat all the shit that I didn't used to eat but nonetheless missed while in China, but once I realized it was happening I corrected the problem.

I have helped a number of people lose weight, however, and though there are many different versions of how one should go about doing so, the single piece of advice I've found to the most critical is to ditch or drastically limit consumption of sweets, whether in solid or liquid form. It's theoretically possible to get fat off anything you eat in excess, it's just so easy to quickly ingest massive amounts of sugar (and its cousins) without even trying and, unlike fats, don't even have the potential to provide something beneficial in return.

Though diet is, by far, the most important aspect of weight loss, as far as fitness is concerned I'd suggest going the route of high intensity, full body workouts rather than going at a treadmill for an hour or two. Stronger muscles are less efficient, and that means they burn through excess fuel like a Lamborghini even when resting. In fact more so while resting and repairing than while during the exercise itself, which is why the standard approach of staring at the "calories burned" display on the treadmill is pretty much bullshit. It'll also make you hungrier, though, so no matter how much you work out you're gonna have to acquire the willpower to confront the kitchen.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
22-09-2015, 12:56 PM
I also think you need to find something you love to do and are passionate about. If you dread doing certain workouts, you are more apt to avoid them and not make them a part of your daily life.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
22-09-2015, 01:00 PM
(22-09-2015 12:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I have helped a number of people lose weight, however, and though there are many different versions of how one should go about doing so, the single piece of advice I've found to the most critical is to ditch or drastically limit consumption of sweets, whether in solid or liquid form.
^^^^ Truth (with a capital T).

22-09-2015, 02:32 PM
(22-09-2015 12:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've always found it fascinating how we've become a historic anomaly in the fact that the wealth and obesity tends to have a negative correlation.

I've never had a big problem. I got a little chubby after returning from China, perhaps in celebration of being able to eat all the shit that I didn't used to eat but nonetheless missed while in China, but once I realized it was happening I corrected the problem.

I have helped a number of people lose weight, however, and though there are many different versions of how one should go about doing so, the single piece of advice I've found to the most critical is to ditch or drastically limit consumption of sweets, whether in solid or liquid form. It's theoretically possible to get fat off anything you eat in excess, it's just so easy to quickly ingest massive amounts of sugar (and its cousins) without even trying and, unlike fats, don't even have the potential to provide something beneficial in return.

Though diet is, by far, the most important aspect of weight loss, as far as fitness is concerned I'd suggest going the route of high intensity, full body workouts rather than going at a treadmill for an hour or two. Stronger muscles are less efficient, and that means they burn through excess fuel like a Lamborghini even when resting. In fact more so while resting and repairing than while during the exercise itself, which is why the standard approach of staring at the "calories burned" display on the treadmill is pretty much bullshit. It'll also make you hungrier, though, so no matter how much you work out you're gonna have to acquire the willpower to confront the kitchen.

A year ago I intensified my workouts, I got stronger, built up muscle but packed on 10 ungainly pounds that I can't get rid of. The work outs made me crave food and ate more than usual. Now I'm stuck with weight I don't want.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-09-2015, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2015 03:46 PM by jennybee.)
(22-09-2015 02:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 12:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've always found it fascinating how we've become a historic anomaly in the fact that the wealth and obesity tends to have a negative correlation.

A year ago I intensified my workouts, I got stronger, built up muscle but packed on 10 ungainly pounds that I can't get rid of. The work outs made me crave food and ate more than usual. Now I'm stuck with weight I don't want.

I used to be really into HIIT workouts and doing those types of workouts made me so hungry. I think that happens a lot where people exercise more and the hunger from that drives them to eat more.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
22-09-2015, 03:13 PM
At one time being fat (not obese but just fat) was considered a sign of wealth and part of the aristocracy. I'm thinking European aristocracy here. Those were the only people who could afford a lot of food. The rest of us schmucks were skinny, underfed peons. It's sort of flipped these days. Now the lower class are eating cheap food full of empty calories and they're way overweight but the upper class can afford personal trainers and personal chefs and keep their weight down.

The thing with so many people being overweight in the US is that it makes being thin more of a rarity which then gives it a higher value, not less. Like the difference between common rhinestones and rare emeralds. The more obese the general population has become the skinnier the fashion models have become. And even though the fashion industry once in a while tries to put models on the runway with some fat on the girls it's just not going to take until the general population drops their weight.

Just my opinion.

I'm slightly underweight myself.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post