Obesity & Junk Food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2015, 03:26 PM
RE: Obesity & Junk Food
(22-09-2015 03:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  At one time being fat (not obese but just fat) was considered a sign of wealth and part of the aristocracy. I'm thinking European aristocracy here. Those were the only people who could afford a lot of food. The rest of us schmucks were skinny, underfed peons. It's sort of flipped these days. Now the lower class are eating cheap food full of empty calories and they're way overweight but the upper class can afford personal trainers and personal chefs and keep their weight down.

The thing with so many people being overweight in the US is that it makes being thin more of a rarity which then gives it a higher value, not less. Like the difference between common rhinestones and rare emeralds. The more obese the general population has become the skinnier the fashion models have become. And even though the fashion industry once in a while tries to put models on the runway with some fat on the girls it's just not going to take until the general population drops their weight.

Just my opinion.

I'm slightly underweight myself.

I think people try too hard to look one way or the other. To me confidence and being happy in your own skin is extremely sexy. I have dated guys that were in very good shape and I have dated guys that were in "meh" shape. Attitude is everything.

Some people are naturally slim. Some people have curves. Some people are heavier than average. Rooney Mara is a little underweight--but absolutely gorgeous. Sofia Vergara is curvy and sexy. I think Rebel Wilson is very pretty too.

In my opinion, you should just focus on healthy eating and exercising and the rest just falls into place.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
22-09-2015, 03:44 PM
It's hard to train yourself to be satisfied with smaller portions, but portion control is key, as is thinking of smaller portions and less sugar and fat as permanent changes. The other thing is to try to make yourself less sedentary in general and add a little muscle mass to help keep your metabolism revved to counteract the body's natural reaction to fewer calories, which is to slow down.

When I was in my 20s and 30s, I ate anything I wanted without gaining weight. It helped that I was a part-time fitness instructor and taught up to 20 classes per week, plus I didn't have a car so to get myself places I walked or bicycled. As a result I didn't commit to changing my diet until age and a more sedentary lifestyle plus a lack of restraint when it comes to peanut butter cups, red wine, and grilled cheese packed 30 pounds on, and then I had to gain and lose that several times before I realized I had to stop thinking of myself as on a diet until I lost X number of pounds.

If you can make smaller portions and more activity routine, a nice side benefit is that it frees up your energy and attention for more interesting stuff.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
22-09-2015, 03:55 PM
(22-09-2015 12:16 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I never had a problem with obesity.

After visiting the US, I realized the problem there is, indeed, huge. I gained weight while I was there, but that was mostly because I wanted to try everything, including all kinds of junk food.

I don't think it's hard to cook healthy meals, but if you're given such a huge amount of choices in pre-cooked/ready to serve meals in super markets, I can imagine it's hard to resist.

One basic problem that I noticed is that you can't easily have fresh food every day. The distances from homes to super markets are ridiculous, so time is limited too. What if you only need one ingredient for a recipe and it's 11pm, or even in the afternoon after work, but your kids will be home any minute? I guess that's how Americans end up stocking up on unhealthy food and stop buying fresh food regularly. My brother has been living there for almost two years and won't stop complaining about the fact that he can't cook anything he wants anytime.

You're right it is way more convenient to eat pre made or pre packaged food vs fresh. Add to that - it's often MUCH cheaper too. This means people with limited income are going to eat what they can afford. I remember an episode of the biggest loser, one of the contestants was telling their trainer that they can pick up a large pizza already cooked for $5 that will feed her and her kids one meal with a little left over. That's tough to compete with.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
22-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Eating healthy can actually be very cheap. Fresh produce is usually reasonably priced (unless you are into that organic "nonsense" Tongue), especially in-season crops, and cheaper cuts of meat can be 2 or 3 dollars a pound, for 3+ pounds at a time. Bulk rice and beans costs almost nothing in the long run.

Eating healthy however is often a lot more time consuming than not, and that's the issue. If you want to eat healthy AND save time, you will spend a fortune.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
22-09-2015, 07:19 PM
As a Brit I'm always surprised when I visit the US at how limited the fruit and vegetable aisles are in supermarkets. I guess that's a function of the demand (or lack thereof).

Anyway, here's my take on the whole issue:

HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is massive business. It is the substance that makes sweet drinks taste so good. It is addictive and figures show that the rise in obesity levels runs parallel to HFCS consumption. Amongst other things it actually inhibits the bodys ability to process fat. The food industry makes $billions from sale of foods containing this substance and they are not likely to give up their stranglehold on fattys purse any time soon. The food companies, with so much financial clout, and powerful as they are will not allow government to legislate against continuing consumption of this proven major cause of obesity. So don't look for any help there!

People often overlook the importance of carbohydrates in their weight-loss diets. It is assumed that it is eating fat that makes you fat. One is actually quicker to become obese by eating loads of low-fat carbs than eating low-carb fatty food (though there's a seperate health issue there). That is why the Atkins diet is so effective. So, the easiest way to lose weight is reduce your carb intake. Of course carbs are exactly the problem because they fill you up and are cheap. A plate piled with vegetables will give you the carbs you need.

With regards to working out and that raging hunger you get after a good session it's always useful to remember what your body is actually asking for. What your body wants is protein, so give it protein, without all the fattening carbs that you crave. Either protein from natural sources (fish, chicken etc...) or in powder, liquid or bar form. Take that after a workout and you'll find your hunger sated happily. Getting a craving for salty food after workout too? That's because you're lacking electrolytes. Replace with a dedicated sports drink. Bare all that in mind and you'll be less likely to stuff your face with food that you don't need.

Anyway, I read this earlier which may be inspirational to some:
https://medium.com/@AaronBleyaert/how-to...135f7e1dec

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
22-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I am a major junk food junkie. I admit it. It's been said that I have a 'vending machine' diet...and that's not far from the truth. There was a day last week when supper for me was Cheetohs. That followed a day of eating dark chocolate peanut M&Ms and Twizzlers. ---I should hang my head in shame.--- I can, and do, sometimes go days with no food at all, not even junk.

I have a sedentary job and a sedentary lifestyle. At age 58, my weight varies within a five pound range with the top end being 130 pounds. When I hit that, I start being a little more careful. My BP is usually about 110/70...it spikes a bit at the dentist and I feel the effects of meds quite a bit such as antihistamines that can raise BP as well as any sedative or pain med that can lower it.

At around 30 (after having my last child) I gained some weight and kept it on for about a decade...topping out at 145 about midway through that time.

It pretty much has to be genetics. Other than portion control when I eat an actual meal, I don't contribute to maintaining my weight. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-09-2015, 07:58 PM
I love whatever it is that keeps me skinny Big Grin these days I live almost completely on junk food.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
22-09-2015, 08:19 PM
(22-09-2015 07:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am a major junk food junkie. I admit it. It's been said that I have a 'vending machine' diet...and that's not far from the truth. There was a day last week when supper for me was Cheetohs. That followed a day of eating dark chocolate peanut M&Ms and Twizzlers. ---I should hang my head in shame.--- I can, and do, sometimes go days with no food at all, not even junk.

I have a sedentary job and a sedentary lifestyle. At age 58, my weight varies within a five pound range with the top end being 130 pounds. When I hit that, I start being a little more careful. My BP is usually about 110/70...it spikes a bit at the dentist and I feel the effects of meds quite a bit such as antihistamines that can raise BP as well as any sedative or pain med that can lower it.

At around 30 (after having my last child) I gained some weight and kept it on for about a decade...topping out at 145 about midway through that time.

It pretty much has to be genetics. Other than portion control when I eat an actual meal, I don't contribute to maintaining my weight. Undecided

Same here, for the most part. I do better now than I used to (drink more water, and I do a 30 minute walk each night) but I have an office job and I don't eat super-healthy except that my "treats" are limited. Rev is gonna help me broaden my food horizons. I've always been pretty picky and I am one of those people that can "forget" to eat - I'll get distracted with something else and then realize oh yeah I better eat. Facepalm

22-09-2015, 08:36 PM
(22-09-2015 08:19 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Same here, for the most part. I do better now than I used to (drink more water, and I do a 30 minute walk each night) but I have an office job and I don't eat super-healthy except that my "treats" are limited. Rev is gonna help me broaden my food horizons. I've always been pretty picky and I am one of those people that can "forget" to eat - I'll get distracted with something else and then realize oh yeah I better eat. Facepalm

I don't so much forget to eat as I don't get the whole eating on a schedule thing. I work with people who act like if they don't get their lunch at a certain time they are going to die.

I can't eat at specified times, I eat when I am hungry - not because it's noon.

The closest comes with supper/dinner since it makes sense to eat an hour or so after arriving home from work since it will take that long to prepare a meal.

I am often a stress starver. I don't do the comfort food eating thing...I just stop eating, sometimes till I get light-headed and shaky, then I think...hmmm, I may need to eat something.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-09-2015, 08:40 PM
(22-09-2015 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 08:19 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Same here, for the most part. I do better now than I used to (drink more water, and I do a 30 minute walk each night) but I have an office job and I don't eat super-healthy except that my "treats" are limited. Rev is gonna help me broaden my food horizons. I've always been pretty picky and I am one of those people that can "forget" to eat - I'll get distracted with something else and then realize oh yeah I better eat. Facepalm

I don't so much forget to eat as I don't get the whole eating on a schedule thing. I work with people who act like if they don't get their lunch at a certain time they are going to die.

I can't eat at specified times, I eat when I am hungry - not because it's noon.

The closest comes with supper/dinner since it makes sense to eat an hour or so after arriving home from work since it will take that long to prepare a meal.

I am often a stress starver. I don't do the comfort food eating thing...I just stop eating, sometimes till I get light-headed and shaky, then I think...hmmm, I may need to eat something.

Yup - comfort food eating just doesn't make sense to me. If I am stressed or depressed, I have no appetite. And then yeah, later on, will get nauseous and dizzy. Confused