Obesity & Junk Food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2015, 08:49 PM
RE: Obesity & Junk Food
(22-09-2015 08:40 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't so much forget to eat as I don't get the whole eating on a schedule thing. I work with people who act like if they don't get their lunch at a certain time they are going to die.

I can't eat at specified times, I eat when I am hungry - not because it's noon.

The closest comes with supper/dinner since it makes sense to eat an hour or so after arriving home from work since it will take that long to prepare a meal.

I am often a stress starver. I don't do the comfort food eating thing...I just stop eating, sometimes till I get light-headed and shaky, then I think...hmmm, I may need to eat something.

Yup - comfort food eating just doesn't make sense to me. If I am stressed or depressed, I have no appetite. And then yeah, later on, will get nauseous and dizzy. Confused

Ugh, no not me. I like to get my comfort food on when I'm having a bad day. Yesterday, I got homemade tortilla chips and guacamole and a fricken huge ass burrito and a beer at this mexican restaurant down the street from me. I am going to take a hot yoga class this weekend to attempt to burn some of that off Hobo

[Image: tina-fey-1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Obesity & Junk Food
As I sit here reading this I am eating a glazed buttermilk bar donut and drinking a Mexican Coke. Not one of my prouder moments, but also not typical. I usually have unsweetened black iced tea. And this is the first donut I've had in months.

I do eat better today than I have in the past. More water, a lot less red meat, more fish. But I still do not exercise regularly.

I've been very slowly gaining weight since 1997 when I started my first truly sedentary job. I probably started around 200-210 pounds at that time. My most recent doctor visit (couple days ago) weighed me at 265. Each year I steadily gain more.

I frequently wonder how I would be if I were back working in a warehouse again instead of sitting in front of a computer all day.

So I suppose I do deal with this. Sadly, I have no advice to offer, only commiseration. Psychologically, this is no easy feat. I've tried to stop drinking soda altogether numerous times. Usually it ends in some unhealthy compromise. The fact that my diet is affected by my wife means both of us must make changes together. And since it's difficult for us both, that makes it even harder.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
23-09-2015, 11:16 AM
(22-09-2015 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am often a stress starver. I don't do the comfort food eating thing...I just stop eating, sometimes till I get light-headed and shaky, then I think...hmmm, I may need to eat something.

I never heard that tag before but I do the same thing.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-09-2015, 09:13 PM
I struggle with obesity myself, I've been at least overweight if not obese since I was a kid. I was your typical fat kid

For me its a rather nasty combination of poor diet, lack of exercise and a genetic predisposition of being overweight (entire dad's side of family is overweight)

Unfortunately for me I let myself get to the point where surgical intervention is required to bring my weight down to an acceptable level as it's almost impossible for me to get any real exercise due to my weight (joints can't take it) and I have three different doctors telling me to get surgery. So hopefully sometime in February ill be going through gastric bypass with duodenal switch to fix my weight. I would get it sooner but my damn insurance company excludes all forms of weight loss help. No surgery, no pills, no counseling, nothing.

The diet portion I've been slowly working on trying to correct, but its a hard process when you have eaten poorly for so long.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
23-09-2015, 11:33 PM
jennybee Wrote:I am going to take a hot yoga class this weekend to attempt to burn some of that off Hobo

Why not do some exercise instead? Laugh out load

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
23-09-2015, 11:47 PM
(23-09-2015 11:33 PM)Siz Wrote:  
jennybee Wrote:I am going to take a hot yoga class this weekend to attempt to burn some of that off Hobo

Why not do some exercise instead? Laugh out load

Hot yoga is pretty intense. You can burn up to 500 calories per class.
24-09-2015, 12:19 PM
(22-09-2015 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 08:19 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Same here, for the most part. I do better now than I used to (drink more water, and I do a 30 minute walk each night) but I have an office job and I don't eat super-healthy except that my "treats" are limited. Rev is gonna help me broaden my food horizons. I've always been pretty picky and I am one of those people that can "forget" to eat - I'll get distracted with something else and then realize oh yeah I better eat. Facepalm

I don't so much forget to eat as I don't get the whole eating on a schedule thing. I work with people who act like if they don't get their lunch at a certain time they are going to die.

I can't eat at specified times, I eat when I am hungry - not because it's noon.

The closest comes with supper/dinner since it makes sense to eat an hour or so after arriving home from work since it will take that long to prepare a meal.

I am often a stress starver. I don't do the comfort food eating thing...I just stop eating, sometimes till I get light-headed and shaky, then I think...hmmm, I may need to eat something.

Stress starver. That's exactly what I do. When I'm stressed or upset about something I have no appetite and even feel nauseous so I don't eat. It's not something I do on purpose, it's just the way I react to stress.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-09-2015, 12:34 PM
At nearly 50 years old, I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs, and have never had a weight problem. i don't have an exercise regimen, but I hike a hell of a lot and eat sensibly -- I avoid prepackaged foods, generally avoid fast food with the occasional treat, do not drink soda pop at all, limit my salt intake, and most importantly, I do not eat until I'm stuffed. I eat until the hunger sensation goes away, and if there's food left on my plate it is leftovers for the next day.
24-09-2015, 01:34 PM
As I just finished a box of sour patch kids...
I have eaten almost exclusively absolute crap food for the past month of college. It's generally cheaper and easier since I have to walk everywhere and don't have a kitchen to cook. If I put more effort into finding good food I could, but when I went to get a physical I lost weight to below 145 (I'm 6'1). I think it's genetics, cause I haven't done regular workouts since midsummer. By all logic I should be gaining weight.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
24-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Eggs are my go to cheap, healthy staple (in my opinion, though some might disagree if they believe what I consider to be the flawed science behind saturated fats and cholesterol). Highest ranked protein quality next only to milk, cheap as dirt on a price per macronutrient basis, easy to prepare. Once while living out of a hotel for a few months for job training, I just grabbed a <$20 griddle from Walmart and used it to cook them in my hotel room every morning. It might get boring, but if necessary you could live healthy, even with the caloric requirements of a demanding workout program, on eggs and snack fruits/veggies alone.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post