Objecting the concept of a Deity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2012, 02:26 PM
RE: Objecting the concept of a Deity
Hey Seeker Smile

I like your style. Stick around. You demonstrated civility and honesty. That's to be treasured. Now *learn* stuff. Aseptic put a great post together to help you Smile

One thing to ruminate on is we *frequently* get people coming here saying 'You're all understanding wrong, *this* is how things are'. For a start, a number of us have devoted significant effort and time to thinking about theological questions, secondly *every* Christian / Muslim (we get a few) or other theist has *their own* idea of the right way. So not only do you have to show us that your plan is reasonable and right, you *also* have to beat out *everyone* else's.

For dessert, unsupported vague claims like 'scientists have found evidence for God (which might surprise you)' immediately raise red flags for me. If you *don't* support it, it's easily dismissed as kook pseudo-science *masquerading* as knowledge. *Get the knowledge*, then argue Wink

PS. Telling people that *everyone* is wrong except you is the mark of the kook and the occasional genius. Occasional geniuses can be spotted by the fact that they don't exist (at least, relative to the number of kooks). Ergo, make this claim, and you *will* be laughed at Wink Although not much 'cos a. you're young and b. you're nice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Thank you morondog, and i see your point in full. I see where my brash young arrogance may have gotten the better of me. Its a flaw i try to work on by doing my best not to be wrong haha, although that probaby isnt the best way. And Aseptic seemed a little antagonistic to me as you will see in my last post in response to his. I see,(although a little too late), I may have retorted a tad harshly. I apologize in advance for that Aseptic, but I think i like the way Vosur addressed my post much better. There was no hint of insult or an attempt at undermining my post even if it was flawed at first. I will try to post more like that too, Thank you Vos!
[+] 1 user Likes TruthSeeker's post
21-12-2012, 02:46 PM
No worries chap, guy like you will be chowing down on babies in no time, methinks Smile Was a bit worried you'd be bleak I sorta called ya a kook, but you seem to have the self-confidence to handle it. Well done Smile
21-12-2012, 02:47 PM
(21-12-2012 02:41 PM)TruthSeeker Wrote:  ...
There was no hint of insult or an attempt at undermining my post even if it was flawed at first.

Seriously dude, you were lucky.

Vos and Aseptic are gentle giants.

I suspect that the forum's attack-pack were either chained up, muzzled, asleep or drugged tonight.

Wink

21-12-2012, 03:03 PM
(21-12-2012 02:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Seriously dude, you were lucky.

I suspect that the forum's attack-pack were either chained up, muzzled, asleep or drugged tonight.

Wink
They are having a TTA group orgy because the world is going to end today.

I wasn't invited because I'm still 17. Weeping

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
21-12-2012, 03:06 PM
(21-12-2012 03:03 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 02:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Seriously dude, you were lucky.

Wink
They are having a TTA group orgy because the world is going to end today.

I wasn't invited because I'm still 17. Weeping
I wasn't invited 'cos I'm a dog Weeping We should have our own party. With hot buttered tarts.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Well its not like the attack squad would've done any damage. I mean in the end the facts spoke for themselves and we both agreed that my point was correct. No evidence against a things existence is just as strong an argument as having evidence that supports the existence. And that an Intellectual cannot honestly deny the possibility for God's existence. I'm satisfied.
21-12-2012, 03:13 PM
(21-12-2012 12:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

As I expected, Peter does not even attempt to address anything Christopher said in his opening speech. He does not even attempt to explain how you go from deism to theism or why god was indifferent to the suffering of the human species for tens of thousands of years and tried to convince people of his existence by appearing to illiterate men in the desert a few thousand years ago. Instead, Peter Hitchens argues that those who do wicked things in the world do so because they fear no punishment from any kind of god in an afterlife, because they are practical atheists.

Unfortunately for him, this turns out to be a rather ignorant claim if we examine the history of our human species more closely. Were it not the most firm believers in the Middle Ages who persecuted the unbelievers and slaughtered them wherever they could find them and exploited those who were too uneducated and primitive to think for themselves? Were it not religious fundamentalists who crashed two planes in the World Trade Center
on 9/11? Is it not the case that the countries with the most inhuman laws today are also those who are the most religious? Of course there are many examples of atrocities and crimes committed by believers and non-believers alike - which is precisely the reason why it's a bad argument regardless of whether you use it against religion or atheism.

With that said, it appears that the only thing Peter can and does offer is an appeal to emotion. He proposes that one should believe in a transcendent being that governs the human race both in the here and now as well as in the afterlife not because there is actually any validity to the belief, but because it is beneficial to the individual and society as a whole. It saddens me when someone prefers his mental well-being and that of others to recognizing and facing the harsh reality as it is. It is wishful thinking.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
21-12-2012, 03:13 PM
(21-12-2012 03:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  I wasn't invited 'cos I'm a dog Weeping We should have our own party. With hot buttered tarts.
No! You're a puppy [Image: animal-smiley-037.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Everything I said was just as valid. Only ingredient to the resulting lengthy debate was missing bits of the point I didn't put much effort into making, in part because I didn't even think it would get a response haha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is the concept of human rights ethical? ilikedesifems 11 907 28-01-2013 03:21 AM
Last Post: Vera