Objections Unique to Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 07:32 PM
RE: Objections Unique to Mormonism
(20-03-2014 04:54 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 04:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  They don't let people drink coffee or tea? Blink Why?

It's called the word of wisdom. There is a list of do's and don'ts, of which tea and coffee are listed in. In short, it's stimulants.

Yeah, I work with a Mormon who said the exact same thing (including the Words of Wisdom part), although he left off the "stimulants" part. He drinks a lot of Mtn Dew. I don't know if caffeine isn't officially listed, or what.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2014, 11:23 AM
(18-03-2014 11:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I like how all these revelations always come after some outside, powerful compelling force forces their hand and never before. It's not like Mormom YHWH was able to predict the civil rights movement or anything. It's all reactionary.

I remember rationalizing those revelations when I was a member. Its hard to look back now and realize how in denial I was.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
21-03-2014, 11:25 AM
(19-03-2014 10:37 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Phoe,
Did you wear the magic underwear?
TellmeTellmeTellme!!!!!!!!

I never wore the temple garments. Technically I should have done, but I was uncomfortable with the temple ceremonies as well as the underwear itself. I thought it was all a bit creepy and unnecessary. As it turns out, my gut was right.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
21-03-2014, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2014 11:48 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-03-2014 11:23 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 11:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I like how all these revelations always come after some outside, powerful compelling force forces their hand and never before. It's not like Mormom YHWH was able to predict the civil rights movement or anything. It's all reactionary.

I remember rationalizing those revelations when I was a member. Its hard to look back now and realize how in denial I was.

Don't feel too bad. My Southern Baptist father didn't think it was all too funny when I shot him down for making fun of one of his old friends turning Mormon; and some of the crazy things they rationalize. I looked him straight in the eyes and said, "Talking snakes in a garden, Noah's Ark, and some bloke raised from the dead; and you have the nerve to look at the Joseph Smith story and call that dumb?" and promptly walked away.

He didn't think that was nearly as funny as I did. Big Grin

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-03-2014, 11:32 AM
(20-03-2014 04:04 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 10:06 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  teenagers grow up under the impression that their natural desire is the moral equivalent of stabbing one of their friends too death. I leave it up to the imagination, or the memory as in my own case, to contemplate the shame and self condemnation and loathing that result.
LOL i imagine them to be like this [Image: 83134-must-not-fap-gif-Bruce-Campbel-p0iH.gif]
Quote:Fortunately god saw fit to furnish the prophet with this information immediately following the very successful Civil rights campaign in America.
lol that doesn't sound suspicious at all! Laugh out load

That seems about accurate. We can all laugh now, including me, when we contemplate how ridiculous it is to criminalize what is natural. However, it was a private hell of which I would not wish on any living being. To truly believe that it is in your nature to be an enemy to your god, and also your family, and to realize that you cannot help it, it truly awful.

-Karl Marx
21-03-2014, 11:41 AM
(20-03-2014 04:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  They don't let people drink coffee or tea? Blink Why?

There is no practical reason for the prohibition. Joseph's revealed "Word of Wisdom", which is the basis for it, was created after a particularly tobacco filled session of "The School of the Prophets", a private school of religious instruction for the Mormon leadership. After hours of helping his wife Emma to scrub the chewing tobacco from the wood floorboards, he had yet another revelation.

It stipulates "No hot drinks" which modern Mormon "prophets" have interpreted to mean tea and coffee. There is a distinct lack of clarity on this issue, even within the Mormon faith. Although the phrasing would suggest the temperature of the drink is important, hot chocolate and certain herbal teas are permissible. Some leaders from local areas have interpreted the scripture as a prohibition against any mood altering substance, including caffeine. The popularity of this idea grew to the point of becoming a quasi-doctrine of the church, while enjoying no official support. For example, I was forbidden to drink Coke or Pepsi when I was a boy, since they contained caffeine.

The Mormons believe that the human body is a "Temple" that should remain pure in every conceivable way in order to better worship the god who gave it to them. For example, the Word of Wisdom also makes very clear dietary restrictions, including the mandate to consume meat only when vegetables, fruits, and grains are not available or are in short supply. This was confusing to me as a young man, since we strictly adhered to the restrictions regarding alcohol, tea, and coffee, but we ate meat constantly, as most Americans do. Our culture was winning out over god's word, and I could not understand why that was acceptable.

-Karl Marx
21-03-2014, 11:46 AM
(21-03-2014 11:41 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  

There is no practical reason for the prohibition. Joseph's revealed "Word of Wisdom", which is the basis for it, was created after a particularly tobacco filled session of "The School of the Prophets", a private school of religious instruction for the Mormon leadership. After hours of helping his wife Emma to scrub the chewing tobacco from the wood floorboards, he had yet another revelation.

It stipulates "No hot drinks" which modern Mormon "prophets" have interpreted to mean tea and coffee. There is a distinct lack of clarity on this issue, even within the Mormon faith. Although the phrasing would suggest the temperature of the drink is important, hot chocolate and certain herbal teas are permissible. Some leaders from local areas have interpreted the scripture as a prohibition against any mood altering substance, including caffeine. The popularity of this idea grew to the point of becoming a quasi-doctrine of the church, while enjoying no official support. For example, I was forbidden to drink Coke or Pepsi when I was a boy, since they contained caffeine.

The Mormons believe that the human body is a "Temple" that should remain pure in every conceivable way in order to better worship the god who gave it to them. For example, the Word of Wisdom also makes very clear dietary restrictions, including the mandate to consume meat only when vegetables, fruits, and grains are not available or are in short supply. This was confusing to me as a young man, since we strictly adhered to the restrictions regarding alcohol, tea, and coffee, but we ate meat constantly, as most Americans do. Our culture was winning out over god's word, and I could not understand why that was acceptable.

If god didn't want us to smoke pot and drink coffee, he should have been more careful to design less stimulating plants. Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-03-2014, 11:56 AM
(20-03-2014 05:25 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  He's the first prophet but the next seven prophets after him had beards. Interesting? Especially since they really push guys to be clean shaven now?

The prohibition against facial hair and long hair comes from American culture in the last century. The social revolution of the 1960's used both styles as a symbol of their emancipation from the moral backwardness of the previous generations. Championing the traditional morality that held sway in the 1950's, the Mormons seized on those styles as an embodiment of a culture they sought to defend their faith from. The absurdity is made all the worse by the church's failure to move with the times, since they still maintain the attitude they held then, today. Although facial hair and long hair are no longer symbols of social revolution, the church continues to see them as such. Anyone who happens upon a set of Mormon missionaries can witness the style which the church considers presentable and wholesome. If you were to drop them back in time to the 50's, they would fit right in.

-Karl Marx
21-03-2014, 12:20 PM
(21-03-2014 11:56 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 05:25 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  He's the first prophet but the next seven prophets after him had beards. Interesting? Especially since they really push guys to be clean shaven now?

The prohibition against facial hair and long hair comes from American culture in the last century. The social revolution of the 1960's used both styles as a symbol of their emancipation from the moral backwardness of the previous generations. Championing the traditional morality that held sway in the 1950's, the Mormons seized on those styles as an embodiment of a culture they sought to defend their faith from. The absurdity is made all the worse by the church's failure to move with the times, since they still maintain the attitude they held then, today. Although facial hair and long hair are no longer symbols of social revolution, the church continues to see them as such. Anyone who happens upon a set of Mormon missionaries can witness the style which the church considers presentable and wholesome. If you were to drop them back in time to the 50's, they would fit right in.
Yeah, no kidding. They'd all fit in if Leave it to Beaver popped back into reality. But yeah, I know that. All those little changes they like to make to make themselves stand out and look even more righteous in a world who is unfortunate to hear the word of the true prophet. We just liked to tease that all the founding latter-day prophets except Joseph had facial hair. Though I don't know that Joseph could pull off a good beard Tongue I can't picture it.

[Image: notagain.gif]
21-03-2014, 12:49 PM
(21-03-2014 11:30 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Don't feel too bad. My Southern Baptist father didn't think it was all too funny when I shot him down for making fun of one of his old friends turning Mormon; and some of the crazy things they rationalize. I looked him straight in the eyes and said, "Talking snakes in a garden, Noah's Ark, and some bloke raised from the dead; and you have the nerve to look at the Joseph Smith story and call that dumb?" and promptly walked away.

It's weird for me to look back at that and think how fine I was with a talking snake because the Bible said so, yet I'd be totally incredulous if someone told me they saw a talking dog. I just didn't see the first one as a big deal. It's like, I accepted there could be a powerful god, so of course there can be weird magical stuff... so long as it doesn't violate my current narrative. Talking dogs are just stupid.

(21-03-2014 11:41 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  It stipulates "No hot drinks" which modern Mormon "prophets" have interpreted to mean tea and coffee. There is a distinct lack of clarity on this issue, even within the Mormon faith. Although the phrasing would suggest the temperature of the drink is important, hot chocolate and certain herbal teas are permissible.

The guy I know is fine with Mtn Dew, but not Iced tea, because it was prepared hot. I'm curious if Mtn Dew is heated at any time during it's creation.

(21-03-2014 11:46 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If god didn't want us to smoke pot and drink coffee, he should have been more careful to design less stimulating plants. Tongue

He also would have made private parts that didn't feel so good to touch. What a jerk.

"The height of human righteousness is resisting temptation to do otherwise harmless things... because. Now, here are some temptations. Enjoy!"