Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
RE: Objective Morality
(04-12-2013 09:11 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 08:31 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  DLJ are you a philosphy professor?
Chippy are you also involved in education?
I'm neither. Hobo

we knew that
just kidding Big Grin

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
(04-12-2013 09:00 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Makes sense you chime in on the philosophical threads for the most part

It doesn't really matter what you studied at university. I've read many more books outside of university than I ever did during university. The only important things I gained from the degree were how to traverse academic sources of information, how to reason and how to argue a point.

Quote:Man I feel like sucha waste of time studying theology for so long, in the real world and in atheist circles is virtually pointless except for helping unbeliever understand what believers think and how they got there

It could have been much worse, you could have been a Wiccan for 30-years Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
(04-12-2013 12:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 12:02 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  "IT'S".....?
Shocking

I take it that you were subjectively objecting to being referred to as an 'it' and not just incorrectly correcting the spelling?

Big Grin

Indeed. A little flabbergasted there.....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
04-12-2013, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 09:49 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(04-12-2013 02:58 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 12:02 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  WTF is this "objective morality" shit, really? Made-up word salad, straight out of the festering ass of Bill Craig.

Settle down spaz. WLC didn't invent the idea of moral realism

Um I was talking about the specific phrase "objective morality".

Quote: and there are many atheists--popular (e.g. Sam Harris) and academic (e.g. Mario Bunge)--that argue that moral realism is true.

Sam Harris' arguments and explanations are not convincing, either.

Quote: You must be an expert in moral philosophy because you have watched some YouTube videos, right?

I never made such a claim, Cupcake.

04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
(04-12-2013 09:15 PM)Chippy Wrote:  ...
It doesn't really matter what you studied at university. I've read many more books outside of university than I ever did during university. The only important things I gained from the degree were how to traverse academic sources of information, how to reason and how to argue a point in a way that antagonises, enrages and alienates my opponent.

Fixt

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-12-2013, 09:51 PM
(04-12-2013 09:35 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Um I was talking about "objective morality".

Moral realism is the claim that objective morality exists. WLC neither invented moral realism nor the idea of objective morality and it is not an exclusively theistic idea.

Quote:Sam Harris' arguments and explanations are not convincing, either.

So post your critique.

Quote:I never made such a claim, Cupcake.

You implied and are implying as much. Since you deemed the concept of an objective morality to be bullshit--without any qualification--then you must be an expert in moral philosophy and have knowledge and refutations of all forms of moral realism. What else would permit such a generalisation?
04-12-2013, 09:54 PM
(04-12-2013 09:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:   in a way that antagonises, enrages and alienates my opponent.

Fixt

Thumbsup

And my method is thoroughly field-tested.
[+] 4 users Like Chippy's post
04-12-2013, 10:04 PM
(04-12-2013 09:51 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 09:35 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Um I was talking about "objective morality".

Moral realism is the claim that objective morality exists. WLC neither invented moral realism nor the idea of objective morality and it is not an exclusively theistic idea.

My point is that it's a made-up construct -- mental masturbation -- that has no real application in the real world.

Quote:
Quote:Sam Harris' arguments and explanations are not convincing, either.

So post your critique.

Last time I checked, you were not the boss of me. Fuck off.

Quote:
Quote:I never made such a claim, Cupcake.

You implied and are implying as much.

Bullshit.

Quote:Since you deemed the concept of an objective morality to be bullshit--without any qualification--then you must be an expert in moral philosophy and have knowledge and refutations of all forms of moral realism. What else would permit such a generalisation?

[Image: strawmanargument.jpg]

[Image: jerkoff.gif]

04-12-2013, 10:11 PM
(04-12-2013 10:04 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  My point is that it's a made-up construct -- mental masturbation -- that has no real application in the real world.

So that then must be your expert opinion. You've made a definitive conclusion on the matter based on your considerable learning but have decided to leave out all of the necessary argumentation. Can you link us to the published paper which includes all of your argumentation? I'd be interested in reading it.
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
04-12-2013, 10:34 PM
(04-12-2013 10:11 PM)Chippy Wrote:  So that then must be your expert opinion blah blah blah...

[Image: straw-man.jpg]