Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 11:50 PM
RE: Objective Morality
(07-12-2013 11:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Too bad for you that I've done a whole lot more than that.

So post your argumentation again and label it an argument #1, argument #2, etc.

You've posted nothing that anyone on this thread has recognised as an argument and consequently responded to it as an argument. I'm not the only one here and no one else has responded to any of your "arguments". Where are they?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 11:51 PM
(07-12-2013 11:42 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:31 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes, too bad you are so locked into your prissy-bitch poseur act that you can't see that I am doing you a favor by busting his punk-ass balls.

You aren't even disturbing a pube on my ballsack.

You don't HAVE a ballsack.

Quote: You will soon be disabused of the idea that posting silly pictures and schoolyard level name calling will make any difference to my behaviour.

LOL back atcha, Loser. You will soon be disabused of the idea that resorting to misrepresenting what I say and schoolyard level name calling will shut me or anyone else here up, which is what you have admitted elsewhere in this forum was your entire intent in your tactics. You FAIL.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
(07-12-2013 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I missed your contribution regarding objective / subjective / absolute morality. Link me back to it, if you would, good sir.

Ahh it's a 'sir'
[Image: h4DEDD5CE]

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
07-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Aw shucks!

See what you did now, Taq?

This thread just got relegated to the Viper's Pit.

Hey Mods!

Can we go back to the adults' section, please?

Don't judge us all by the lowest common denominator

Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
08-12-2013, 12:01 AM
(07-12-2013 11:50 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Too bad for you that I've done a whole lot more than that.

So post your argumentation again and label it an argument #1, argument #2, etc.
You don't dictate what I do and how I do it, bitch.

Quote:You've posted nothing that anyone on this thread has recognised as an argument and consequently responded to it as an argument. I'm not the only one here and no one else has responded to any of your "arguments". Where are they?

Bullshit.

(05-12-2013 08:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 08:34 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  If you claim "Objective morality, therefore gawd-X", you have to not only prove why gawd-x and not any other result, AND you have to precisely define objective morality AND prove your claim that it actually exists.

Yeah! And good luck with that.

Big Grin

(06-12-2013 03:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  While I don't approve of the way in which Taqiyya presents his views, I'm inclined to agree that measurements of different brain states can hardly be used to figure out the well-being of an individual.

well-being
Syllabification: (well-be·ing)
[i]noun
the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy

I think it goes without saying that the conditions which have to be met for either of these states of being to occur differ wildly from person to person.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-12-2013, 12:01 AM
(07-12-2013 11:51 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  LOL back atcha, Loser. You will soon be disabused of the idea that resorting to misrepresenting what I say and schoolyard level name calling will shut me or anyone else here up, which is what you have admitted elsewhere in this forum was your entire intent in your tactics. You FAIL.

But what are you saying? I am unable to find any substantive content in your posts in this thread. So you posted some pictures and called me a moron and an asswipe. What of it? What is the significance of that? Where is the argument re morality/ethics/values that everyone--not just me--has missed? Where is this killer argument that I am replacing with a strawman?
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
08-12-2013, 12:02 AM
(07-12-2013 11:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  But you haven't justified your theory of value and the governance that would flow from that.
I'm struggling with the sale pitch.

It seems that the vast majority of people want a morals based system.
I can reason that society would be less violent, more tolerant and diverse and hence more interesting without enforced moral beliefs.

But I find it difficult to engage people enough for themselves to consider what a society would look like without enforced moral beliefs.

They instantly assume chaos, anarchy, murder and treachery. Which is a knee jerk, strawman reaction. I assume it is why in USA that atheists are deemed one of the least trusted groups. Not because they lack a belief in gods, but because many Christians think that without god belief people can't have morality thus chaos, anarchy yadda yadda...

My idea of government is with regards to minimalistic laws. Apart from the economic side of law, I think laws should be built on the idea that government's purpose is to provide a stable society rather than a moral one. That adults are responsible enough to make their own decisions and that law is to intervene only when those decisions present a danger to ongoing society.

People whom advocate a brand of morality, they can pursue other means rather than law. They can advertise, educate, have clubs, churches etc in order to persuade people to adhere to their own moral standard.

(07-12-2013 11:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
Quote:The sub-topic here is the morality of abortion, laws pertaining to abortion. Pregnant woman go hand in hand with abortion issues. Police and their obligatory use of violence goes hand in hand with laws.

Yes, I know but operational issues are secondary concerns. The matter should be discussed on its own merits.
It's fine if you are trying to persuade a person not to have an abortion. Discuss with them your moral belief system. But ultimately if your argument isn't persuasive enough for them, then they get to make their own choice on the matter.

With regards to me, would I ever support my wife having an abortion? I see a unique human as having been created from the moment of conception. I see it as being my own blood, my own legacy, my own responsibility. So I wouldn't make the decision lightly. I don't see much difference between early term or late term abortion. Except late term there might be more certainty about the physical state of the unborn. Does it have Down syndrome etc.
I don't have moral considerations (I don't have to dehumanise it, in order to abort it). But its my wife's and my decision, not government, not neighbor's not strangers'.

(07-12-2013 11:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Setting aside the abortion issue, do you agree that you are still expressing values when you talk about self-preservation and the safety of yourself and your property?
Sure. I value my own life. I value having my own freedom, I value living in a society with other people. For me values do not equate to rights and wrongs, and do not give me the incentive to force my opinions/values onto other people.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
08-12-2013, 12:03 AM
(07-12-2013 11:57 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Aw shucks!

See what you did now, Taq?

This thread just got relegated to the Viper's Pit.

Hey Mods!

Can we go back to the adults' section, please?

Don't judge us all by the lowest common denominator

Sadcryface

It's been there for a while. Drinking Beverage
I think it's been the funniest and most appropiate use of LCD outside math. Cool

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
08-12-2013, 12:05 AM
(07-12-2013 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm regarding this discussion as conceptual rather than a personal opinion rhetoric thing.

I'm regarding it as performance work - a kind of verbal version of World Wrestling Federation. I didn't move it, by the way.

[Image: eating-cookie.gif]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-12-2013, 12:06 AM
(08-12-2013 12:01 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:50 PM)Chippy Wrote:  So post your argumentation again and label it an argument #1, argument #2, etc.
You don't dictate what I do and how I do it, bitch.

Quote:You've posted nothing that anyone on this thread has recognised as an argument and consequently responded to it as an argument. I'm not the only one here and no one else has responded to any of your "arguments". Where are they?

Bullshit.

(05-12-2013 08:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yeah! And good luck with that.

Big Grin

(06-12-2013 03:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  While I don't approve of the way in which Taqiyya presents his views, I'm inclined to agree that measurements of different brain states can hardly be used to figure out the well-being of an individual.

well-being
Syllabification: (well-be·ing)
noun
the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy

I think it goes without saying that the conditions which have to be met for either of these states of being to occur differ wildly from person to person.

Answered.