Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 12:36 AM
RE: Objective Morality
(08-12-2013 12:25 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...
I got "DLJ has his head up his ass and doesn't have a fucking clue who is on his side" crackers. I threw them out.

A pity. I'd have liked to try those.

Shocking

Quote:side

There are sides?

Did I miss something?
Huh

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 12:40 AM
(08-12-2013 12:02 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  But you haven't justified your theory of value and the governance that would flow from that.
I'm struggling with the sale pitch.

It seems that the vast majority of people want a morals based system.
I can reason that society would be less violent, more tolerant and diverse and hence more interesting without enforced moral beliefs.

But I find it difficult to engage people enough for themselves to consider what a society would look like without enforced moral beliefs.

They instantly assume chaos, anarchy, murder and treachery. Which is a knee jerk, strawman reaction. I assume it is why in USA that atheists are deemed one of the least trusted groups. Not because they lack a belief in gods, but because many Christians think that without god belief people can't have morality thus chaos, anarchy yadda yadda...

My idea of government is with regards to minimalistic laws. Apart from the economic side of law, I think laws should be built on the idea that government's purpose is to provide a stable society rather than a moral one. That adults are responsible enough to make their own decisions and that law is to intervene only when those decisions present a danger to ongoing society.

People whom advocate a brand of morality, they can pursue other means rather than law. They can advertise, educate, have clubs, churches etc in order to persuade people to adhere to their own moral standard.

(07-12-2013 11:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Yes, I know but operational issues are secondary concerns. The matter should be discussed on its own merits.
It's fine if you are trying to persuade a person not to have an abortion. Discuss with them your moral belief system. But ultimately if your argument isn't persuasive enough for them, then they get to make their own choice on the matter.

With regards to me, would I ever support my wife having an abortion? I see a unique human as having been created from the moment of conception. I see it as being my own blood, my own legacy, my own responsibility. So I wouldn't make the decision lightly. I don't see much difference between early term or late term abortion. Except late term there might be more certainty about the physical state of the unborn. Does it have Down syndrome etc.
I don't have moral considerations (I don't have to dehumanise it, in order to abort it). But its my wife's and my decision, not government, not neighbor's not strangers'.

(07-12-2013 11:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Setting aside the abortion issue, do you agree that you are still expressing values when you talk about self-preservation and the safety of yourself and your property?
Sure. I value my own life. I value having my own freedom, I value living in a society with other people. For me values do not equate to rights and wrongs, and do not give me the incentive to force my opinions/values onto other people.

This is the clearest and most cogent expression of your position to date.

What I think you have described is some sort of libertarian contractarianism, i.e. a minimalist state based on a "social contract". That is a defensible position but I am not completely convinced that the welfare of a late-term foetus belongs solely in the private sphere.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2013, 12:41 AM
(08-12-2013 12:24 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 12:13 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  What I did is beat the shit out of Chippy and his sorry-ass attempt at a bullshit intimidation campaign.

When?

If you were to pull your head out of your ass you would know.

Quote:
Quote:Which is where Chippy's bullshit belongs.

It's not my thread.

Didn't say it was. Typical that you don't have a fucking clue what is going on. Remember I suggested those remedial reading comprehension classes? That will help you in the future, should you choose to pull your head out of your ass.

Quote:
Quote:The lowest common denominator here is your stupidity in not seeing who is taking time to shut down a troll. Kinda fucking sad, really.

No, you've fucked up someone elses (not my own) thread that was on a substantive topic and has covered interesting matters.

Oh, how nice that you would try to blame your sorry-ass attempt at a trolling on me. Not gonna work. Anyone who would like to verify that this is your shit only needs to read back in this thread. My first post here challenged the idea of "objective morality", and you got all stupid about that and went on a strawman-bashing boondoggle, and once I shut you down on that, you got all fucking stupid over me questioning Harris' even allowing himself to be dragged into a debate that presumed the existence of WLC's deity. But the bottom line -- which you have already admitted elsewhere -- is that you have some bullshit chip on your shoulder and you are trying to troll anyone here who calls BabbleGawd a "fairytale". Kinda sad, but I'm happy to shut you down at every turn on that, too. Anyone who is fooled by your bullshit tactics (HELLO, DLJ, Kim, djkamilo!!) is a fucking idiot.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-12-2013, 12:43 AM
(08-12-2013 12:26 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 12:19 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You FAIL.

The only person that appears to be failing is you.

Says the Black Knight.... Rolleyes

08-12-2013, 12:48 AM
(08-12-2013 12:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 12:13 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...
Only if you promise to pretend to act like an adult instead of a prissy bitch who cries Purity-Fucking-Raped at anyone who uses adult language while shutting down an obvious fucking troll.

Again, sir, for completeness, please indicate where I did that?
Cheers

Hey, do you remember that Big Show you put on about putting me on "Ignore"...?

[Image: cd3e9b53.jpg]

08-12-2013, 12:51 AM
(08-12-2013 12:41 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  If you were to pull your head out of your ass you would know.

I don't feel any different so whatever you are doing isn't working.

Quote:Oh, how nice that you would try to blame your sorry-ass attempt at a trolling on me. Not gonna work. Anyone who would like to verify that this is your shit only needs to read back in this thread.

How can it be my shit if it's you that is polluting the thread with pictures and banal insults?

Quote:My first post here challenged the idea of "objective morality", and you got all stupid about that and went on a strawman-bashing boondoggle, and once I shut you down on that, you got all fucking stupid over me questioning Harris' even allowing himself to be dragged into a debate that presumed the existence of WLC's deity.

When did all this "shutting down" occur? Again you seem to think that posting a series of images and videos amounts to some sort of killer argument from which there is no recovery.

Quote:But the bottom line -- which you have already admitted elsewhere -- is that you have some bullshit chip on your shoulder and you are trying to troll anyone here who calls BabbleGawd a "fairytale".

"BabbleGawd"? Is that your own construction? Are you mentally retarded?

Quote:Kinda sad, but I'm happy to shut you down at every turn on that, too. Anyone who is fooled by your bullshit tactics (HELLO, DLJ, Kim, djkamilo!!) is a fucking idiot.

Who and what has been shut down? This discussion is continuing. Stevil posted and DLJ and I responded.
08-12-2013, 12:53 AM
(08-12-2013 12:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Did I miss something?
Huh

Very definitely. If you were to pull your head out of your ass you might be able to figure it out.

I am not holding my breath, though.

Considering your situation, you might be well advised to do so, though.

08-12-2013, 12:56 AM
(08-12-2013 12:41 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Anyone who is fooled by your bullshit tactics (HELLO, DLJ, Kim, djkamilo!!) is a fucking idiot.
You forgot to mention me, I'm a fucking idiot as well. Sad

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
08-12-2013, 12:56 AM
(08-12-2013 12:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  [Image: cd3e9b53.jpg]

That isn't your rendition of anything. That is someone else's "rendition" of something else.
08-12-2013, 12:57 AM
(08-12-2013 12:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 12:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Again, sir, for completeness, please indicate where I did that?
Cheers

Hey, do you remember that Big Show you put on about putting me on "Ignore"...?

[Image: cd3e9b53.jpg]

Actually, no, I don't.

I remember a side quip about pretending to already have you on 'ignore' when you mentioned using the 'ignore' button.

If that was what offended you, I apologise. Put it down to British humour.