Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Objective Morality
I'm not sure if this is in the right area, but I figured it would fit here.

A while back I wrote an article titled "What Is This Objective Morality That You Speak Of?"

It has been posted on InfoBarrel, a popular site that anyone can write for and make money, and I am wondering if any here would be interested in reading it. The URL is below!

Now, I'm not posting it here to get more views, I don't care much about that. What I am really interested in is opinions of my writing. Now keep in mind, this is pretty much the first thing I've ever written regarding theism and such, so please be gentle ^_^.

But serioulsy, if you would like to read it and post here what you thought of it I would be grateful. There is also an interesting conversation in the comment section of that article, but I'd prefer if you keep your comments here just to make it easier on me.

Now, as I've said before, I won't reply to rude or disrespectful comments. I simply want to know if you think it is a decent argument or a bad one and if it actually holds any water. Thanks!

Here is the URL: http://www.infobarrel.com/What_Is_This_O...u_Speak_Of
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2014, 06:43 PM
RE: Objective Morality
I stopped at "Without god neither objective or subjective morality exists"

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
28-03-2014, 06:44 PM
(28-03-2014 06:43 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I stopped at "Without god neither objective or subjective morality exists"

Eh... I'd be happy to hear why that isn't true. Like I said, it's the first thing I wrote. And it was a while back... Actually, I suppose subjective morality would exist huh? Thanks for pointing that out! I still don't believe there can be objective morality without God though.
28-03-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2014 06:55 PM by Charis.)
Thank you very much for sharing. I think you're not a bad writer. I don't agree with what you were saying necessarily, but I can certainly understand where you're coming from, having come from there myself. I'll have to be able to concentrate better to break it down into smaller sections so I can better articulate my thoughts on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
28-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Oh, by the way! I'm not sure if you're familiar with Christopher Hitchens, but he gives a fairly succinct answer to what you were saying. I know you won't necessarily agree with what he's saying either, but it might help in understanding where an Atheist might come from if they had to really explain morality (which isn't an everyday thing for most people).
28-03-2014, 06:48 PM
(28-03-2014 06:46 PM)Charis Wrote:  Oh, by the way! I'm not sure if you're familiar with Christopher Hitchens, but he gives a fairly succinct answer to what you were saying. I know you won't necessarily agree with what he's saying either, but it might help in understanding where an Atheist might come from if they had to really explain morality (which isn't an everyday thing for most people).

Well thanks Smile And I'll look him up sometime. I am currently reading "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris, where he tries to provide a foundation for objective morality that doesn't include God, but I haven't gotten very far into it yet...
28-03-2014, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2014 06:52 PM by DLJ.)
What Is This Objective Morality That You Speak Of Which You Speak?

I'll get back to you when I've read the whole thing but when the title gets me bristling... !

Tongue

Needless to say that the content topic has arisen on numerous occasions before. Here's a sample, if you'd like to read it.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ity--21214

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-03-2014, 06:54 PM
If a child less than 2 yrs old is starving to death right before your eyes, what is the objective moral action to take ?

If you wait but only 1 minute, you will get your answer from your objectively moral law giver.

The answer is: "Do nothing"

I will not go through your entire article and pick it apart piece by piece. I'm sure your gullible christian audience will love it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Ahhh, looks like DLC just provided 35 pages of discussion. Tongue
28-03-2014, 06:59 PM
DLJ, sorry.

Why do I keep trying to call you DLC? guess I'm getting old. I'm going to feel ancient when I hit 30. Tongue