Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: Objective Morality
In an effort to avoid adding to the wall of text here, I will offer a link to my blog post that addresses objective morality, which only seems fitting since the OP started this thread with a link. This is meant for TTC and no one else needs to read it. As he said, I'm not trying to pump up any numbers (especially since my blog isn't for revenue), I just didn't want to post a wall of text here.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
30-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Advocates of objective morality are of the belief that there is only one solution to a given problem, but anyone who has done just a little higher math knows that there can be more than one solution to a problem.

2x^2=8 (two x squared equals eight)
Solution x= 2 or x= -2

Get into differential equations with limits and you have solutions with large ranges as the answer.

Stealing can be perceived as immoral in the general sense but specific cases and their details can turn into a moral act of survival.

This is why morals are subjective
Holding yourself to one set of reactions to all circumstances is a recipe for disaster an injustice

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
30-03-2014, 03:03 PM
(30-03-2014 09:22 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This is why morals are subjective
Holding yourself to one set of reactions to all circumstances is a recipe for disaster an injustice

subjective = based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
Objective = not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts

Morals are both Objective and subjective:
Objective morals are hard-wired genetically, certain behaviours are innate to a species, no god required, just evolution.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
30-03-2014, 03:28 PM
(30-03-2014 03:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Objective morals are hard-wired genetically, certain behaviours are innate to a species, no god required, just evolution.
Behavioral traits can have a genetic underlying, but behavioral traits are not morality.

Morality is a belief in right and wrong with regards to an individual's choices towards an action.

Beliefs aren't genetic traits. Just as a person is born as an atheist, a person is also born amoral.
30-03-2014, 05:11 PM
(30-03-2014 03:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 03:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Objective morals are hard-wired genetically, certain behaviours are innate to a species, no god required, just evolution.
Behavioral traits can have a genetic underlying, but behavioral traits are not morality.

Morality is a belief in right and wrong with regards to an individual's choices towards an action.

Beliefs aren't genetic traits. Just as a person is born as an atheist, a person is also born amoral.

That may not be entirely true. We now know that recent learning can be passed on to the next generation by epigenetics.
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...igenetics/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-03-2014, 05:51 PM
(30-03-2014 05:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That may not be entirely true. We now know that recent learning can be passed on to the next generation by epigenetics.
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...igenetics/
Fascinating!

I think before we can tie together epigenetics with regards to inherited religious or moral beliefs we need to be aware of the following
Quote:The key question isn’t whether this so-called ‘transgenerational epigenetic inheritance’ happens — it does — but rather how it happens (and how frequently, and in what contexts and species).
But it does mean that the jury isn't out yet.

Thanks for the link.
31-03-2014, 03:28 AM
(30-03-2014 03:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  [quote='sporehux' pid='534536' dateline='1396213435']Beliefs aren't genetic traits. Just as a person is born as an atheist, a person is also born amoral.
No we aren't born amoral. http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/12/opinio...ght-wrong/
31-03-2014, 05:00 AM
(28-03-2014 06:44 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 06:43 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I stopped at "Without god neither objective or subjective morality exists"

Eh... I'd be happy to hear why that isn't true. Like I said, it's the first thing I wrote. And it was a while back... Actually, I suppose subjective morality would exist huh? Thanks for pointing that out! I still don't believe there can be objective morality without God though.

Because without God, subjective morality exists. Not even arguable. Stupid premise.

There is no such thing as objective morality. It is a red herring designed by theists to trap atheists into sounding less moral than we are. Without objective morality, the atheist knows murdering innocent babies is always wrong, while the theist carefully considers the circumstances that led his God to order the executions of infants and toddlers. Without objective morality, much of mankind reasoned that slavery is always wrong, while theism has never reached that conclusion.

Show me this objective morality of which you speak, and spare me the b.s. that it is programmed within us, because that makes subjective by definition.

With God, there is no morality; only obedience.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
31-03-2014, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 09:32 AM by sporehux.)
(31-03-2014 05:00 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Show me this objective morality of which you speak, and spare me the b.s. that it is programmed within us, because that makes subjective by definition.

I say its there, and evolution accounts for it. If its there before social cognitive skills then its "objective"
if such an enormously diverse range of babies from different cultures/upbringing are exhibiting the same innate moral guidelines, its implausible to say they are subjective, the odds of them being so similar is too great.

Explain this, if not for innate "objective" morals.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/12/us/bab...als-ac360/

Time to take "Objective Morality" away from the theists who are abusing it. It's part of evolutionary science.

" In "Just Babies," I argue that much of this is the product of biological evolution. Humans are born with a hard-wired morality, a sense of good and evil is bred in the bone. I know this claim might sound outlandish, but it's supported now by research in several laboratories. Babies and toddlers can judge the goodness and badness of others' actions; they want to reward the good and punish the bad; they act to help those in distress; they feel compassion, guilt and righteous anger."

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
31-03-2014, 10:13 AM
(31-03-2014 09:20 AM)sporehux Wrote:  ...
I say its there, and evolution accounts for it. If its there before social cognitive skills then its "objective"

Nah!

It's still human.

Drinking Beverage