Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 10:35 AM
RE: Objective Morality
(05-04-2014 10:07 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/21...lf-Defense
She says: "And what I would do in defense of family, I do not know. Philosophy cannot outmatch love."
Quote:Self defense only leads to self defense. If I use violence to protect myself, then I permit you to use violence to protect yourself. This is the rationale for "Stand Your Ground," and I find it difficult to listen to people who seek justice for Trayvion while simultaneously defending the black-bandanna crowd when they instigate violence against the state.
But this doesn't say anything about self defense as in a personal attack where your only option is to kill your opponent before he kills you it's just a general statement against violence. Where is she saying that if somebody tries to kill you let him kill you because that would be better than killing him in self defense?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 10:36 AM
(05-04-2014 10:35 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 10:07 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/21...lf-Defense
She says: "And what I would do in defense of family, I do not know. Philosophy cannot outmatch love."
Quote:Self defense only leads to self defense. If I use violence to protect myself, then I permit you to use violence to protect yourself. This is the rationale for "Stand Your Ground," and I find it difficult to listen to people who seek justice for Trayvion while simultaneously defending the black-bandanna crowd when they instigate violence against the state.
But this doesn't say anything about self defense as in a personal attack where your only option is to kill your opponent before he kills you it's just a general statement against violence. Where is she saying that if somebody tries to kill you let him kill you because that would be better than killing him in self defense?

Not living up to a moral standard does not make an immoral act moral.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
05-04-2014, 10:42 AM
(05-04-2014 10:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Not living up to a moral standard does not make an immoral act moral.
How terrible that you can say that everybody who has killed in their own self defense or in the defense of others, their family or group or country has done something immoral because according to you any killing is immoral. Or did I misunderstand you?
05-04-2014, 10:46 AM
(05-04-2014 10:42 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 10:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Not living up to a moral standard does not make an immoral act moral.
How terrible that you can say that everybody who has killed in their own self defense or in the defense of others, their family or group or country has done something immoral because according to you any killing is immoral. Or did I misunderstand you?

Oh I'm not saying that I am saying that it is not an Objective rule. So I have shown a couple of contrary opinions to your first "Universal" situation where killing another human being is a moral act, is that the only one?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-04-2014, 10:53 AM
(05-04-2014 09:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 08:57 AM)Artie Wrote:  Depends on the circumstances of course.

The rest of what you said was either deliberate misunderstanding of terms or intellectual dishonesty but this is conceding the point. If an action is only right or wrong under correct circumstances (and those circumstances vary from person to person) that is by definition
NOT OBJECTIVE

Thanks for playing.

I've literally tried explaining that to him across a half a dozen posts already. He is willfully ignorant and chooses to continuously misuses terms (like 'objective') without defining them himself and refuses to acknowledge it when others define them for him.

He's either a troll or a fucktard. As of right now, he's acting too stupidly to tell.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-04-2014, 10:54 AM
(05-04-2014 10:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Oh I'm not saying that I am saying that it is not an Objective rule. So I have shown a couple of contrary opinions to your first "Universal" situation where killing another human being is a moral act, is that the only one?
You have not shown any such thing. You have shown some statements of a woman who says "And what I would do in defense of family, I do not know. Philosophy cannot outmatch love." And she says nothing about what she would do in a face to face situation where it would be kill or be killed. At most, you have shown the equivalent of some people who have the opinion that 2+2=5 but how does that negate the fact that 2+2= objectively 4?
05-04-2014, 10:55 AM
(05-04-2014 10:54 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 10:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Oh I'm not saying that I am saying that it is not an Objective rule. So I have shown a couple of contrary opinions to your first "Universal" situation where killing another human being is a moral act, is that the only one?
You have not shown any such thing. You have shown some statements of a woman who says "And what I would do in defense of family, I do not know. Philosophy cannot outmatch love." And she says nothing about what she would do in a face to face situation where it would be kill or be killed. At most, you have shown the equivalent of some people who have the opinion that 2+2=5 but how does that negate the fact that 2+2= objectively 4?

Define Objective. Until you do so I am going to just ignore your posts because it seems you do not speak english.

05-04-2014, 10:59 AM
(05-04-2014 10:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I've literally tried explaining that to him across a half a dozen posts already. He is willfully ignorant and chooses to continuously misuses terms (like 'objective') without defining them himself and refuses to acknowledge it when others define them for him.

He's either a troll or a fucktard. As of right now, he's acting too stupidly to tell.
And yet again your only contribution are insults.
05-04-2014, 11:11 AM
(05-04-2014 10:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Define Objective. Until you do so I am going to just ignore your posts because it seems you do not speak english.
I did so twice in post 213. Here they are again: "The very definition of "objective" is "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts." " based on facts rather than feelings or opinions : not influenced by feelings". http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini.../objective http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/objective What do you think objective means?
05-04-2014, 11:13 AM
(05-04-2014 10:54 AM)Artie Wrote:  

(05-04-2014 11:11 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 10:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Define Objective. Until you do so I am going to just ignore your posts because it seems you do not speak english.
I did so twice in post 213. Here they are again: "The very definition of "objective" is "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts." " based on facts rather than feelings or opinions : not influenced by feelings". http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini.../objective http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/objective What do you think objective means?

By your definition your counter argument here is worthless as it is an appeal to emotion not fact.