Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 08:34 AM
RE: Objective Morality
(07-04-2014 08:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Cool. So therefore, you are denying that there is a universal (objective) morality.

Awesome. We agree.

Thumbsup
I have no idea how you managed to get to that conclusion. I would like to hear your reasoning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2014, 08:38 AM
(07-04-2014 08:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What is called "morality" are norms which are learned values, and totally relative to the culture one buys into.

The gods love killing. In fact they promote it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/midd...story.html

BTW, WL Craig is a moronic simpleton.
Another one who doesn't live by the Golden Rule. Which values did you learn in your culture if not the Golden Rule?
07-04-2014, 08:43 AM
(07-04-2014 08:38 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 08:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What is called "morality" are norms which are learned values, and totally relative to the culture one buys into.

Another one who doesn't live by the Golden Rule. Which values did you learn in your culture if not the Golden Rule?

As the link CLEARLY DEMONSTRATED, I could have easily learned to kill my children if they did what my deity told them not to do.

The "Golden Rule" is YOUR moral system. It is obviously NOT SHARED by many/most religious believers in human history.

Your point is false.

Do try harder.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-04-2014, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 01:15 PM by DLJ.)
(07-04-2014 08:34 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 08:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Cool. So therefore, you are denying that there is a universal (objective) morality.

Awesome. We agree.

Thumbsup
I have no idea how you managed to get to that conclusion. I would like to hear your reasoning.

Ohmy Really? After all these pages, you have no idea?

I'm sceptical.

I'm thinking that the problem lies in the definition of 'objective'. Right?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-04-2014, 08:55 AM
(07-04-2014 08:38 AM)Artie Wrote:  

Thank you for admitting AND clearly demonstrating yourself, that YOUR OWN POINT is invalid.

If I do not live by the "Golden Rule" (as you have asserted), then you have admitted I have learned that another value system has merit under some circumstances, , and we share no "objective moral values".

Thanks for playing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Tell little Billy Craig and Lee-the-Idiot Stroebel, you want your money back.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-04-2014, 08:55 AM
(07-04-2014 08:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  You haven't answered the question, do you think a billionaire, lets make him a billionaire warlord, so he's evil as hell, do you think his kids have a better or worse survival chance than a beggar? Let's make the beggar the meekest, most vegetarian beggar that has ever existed.
That question is too simplistic. It would depend on any number of factors for example how this billionaire warlord and his sons live and where. Are his sons also warriors and may get killed in battle? We need more details.
Quote:You still haven't proven a link between evolution and the golden rule by the way. It might well be that that is a very good survival strategy.
Is that your subjective opinion or is it an objective fact that it is a very good survival strategy? If it's a good survival strategy it would have been selected for by evolution because people who lived by it were more likely to survive. Do you see the link to evolution yet?
Quote:But it's not the only one, so to say that it's objective and a foundation for morality is a bridge too far IMO.
Where did you get the idea that "objective" means "only one"?
07-04-2014, 09:04 AM
(07-04-2014 08:55 AM)Artie Wrote:  Where did you get the idea that "objective" means "only one"?

You are saying that there is one morality which all can agree on. That is the definition of objective morality - Not dependent on any one individual's opinion.

I'm gettin' bored so... I'm gonna bow outta this discussion for now. Cheers - Dog.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-04-2014, 09:09 AM
(07-04-2014 08:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thank you for admitting AND clearly demonstrating yourself, that YOUR OWN POINT is invalid.

If I do not live by the "Golden Rule" (as you have asserted), then you have admitted I have learned that another value system has merit under some circumstances, , and we share no "objective moral values".
I don't know which "objective moral values" we share. We know that you don't live by the Golden Rule so we know we don't share that one. It doesn't make it any less objective. If you don't live by the Golden Rule you must live by a different moral code. Can you tell us what it is?
07-04-2014, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 09:39 AM by Artie.)
(07-04-2014 09:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 08:55 AM)Artie Wrote:  Where did you get the idea that "objective" means "only one"?
Quote:You are saying that there is one morality which all can agree on.
No I don't. I am saying that the Golden Rule is one objective moral code that evolved because people who lived by it were more likely to survive. That all agree on it is not necessary for it to be objectively right. Any rational person would agree on it. But all aren't rational.
Quote:That is the definition of objective morality - Not dependent on any one individual's opinion.
It isn't dependent on any one individual's opinion. It isn't dependent that all agree on it either.

Quote:I'm gettin' bored so... I'm gonna bow outta this discussion for now. Cheers - Dog.
Cheers. I'm disappointed that you didn't address my other points.
07-04-2014, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 09:40 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-04-2014 09:09 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 08:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thank you for admitting AND clearly demonstrating yourself, that YOUR OWN POINT is invalid.

I don't know which "objective moral values" we share. We know that you don't live by the Golden Rule so we know we don't share that one. It doesn't make it any less objective. If you don't live by the Golden Rule you must live by a different moral code. Can you tell us what it is?

Actually you have no clue what code I live by. Calling out stupidity on the internet is hardly "not living by the Golden Rule". If I were making such stupid assertions as I see here, I would want my stupidity called out, so I guess I DO live by the "Golden Rule, now don't I ? The very fact we do not agree what that "Rule" even is, means it's not "objective", now doesn't it ?

Tell ya what. You define "objective moral code" in PRECISELY defined terms, and maybe I'll play this stupid game.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post