Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 01:43 AM
RE: Objective Morality
(10-04-2014 01:08 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  How about you just go fuck your own trolling ass with a cactus. You ain't fooling anyone here. Of course there are known troll-ass-licking toadies like D&C, but they are the sad exception here, and the bottom line is that you and your bullshit are not welcome here. Take your bullshit down the road. Since you cant find anything in this life better to do than to troll forums full of people who see right through your pathetic bullshit, I suggest you just kill yourself. Right now.
I have reported this post because I have spent a lot of time answering questions and posts logically and rationally and there's a limit to the abuse I will take.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Artie's post
10-04-2014, 02:06 AM
(10-04-2014 12:49 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 12:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes
Could you please be a little more eloquent and specific as to what was actually logically or rationally wrong with what I stated? Did you notice I didn't use just Rolleyes when answering your post? I expect the same curtesy from you. Or are you just trolling?

You missed the point of my post. Can you answer my allegation, that you've created something with zero explanatory power as your theory of objective morality?

You say that anything that is in line with what you like is 'evolutionary morals'.

You say that anything that contradicts it is 'because they are ill'.

The example of the moon and asteroids was somewhat facetious, but the point is, it's about as explanatory of the movement of asteroids as it is explanatory of where humans get their morals from.

*Of course, just my opinion and you're entitled to be miffed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-04-2014, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 02:20 AM by Artie.)
(10-04-2014 02:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  You missed the point of my post. Can you answer my allegation, that you've created something with zero explanatory power as your theory of objective morality?
"Zero explanatory power"? What is it that it doesn't explain?
Quote:The example of the moon and asteroids was somewhat facetious, but the point is, it's about as explanatory of the movement of asteroids as it is explanatory of where humans get their morals from.
People who killed each other didn't survive (obviously), people who helped each other survived. Evolution by natural selection. What we call moral is what helps people survive, what we call immoral is what doesn't help people survive. (Murder). Evolution and natural selection explains why we say helping people is moral and murdering people is immoral. Evolution and natural selection is where we got our morals from.
10-04-2014, 02:43 AM
(10-04-2014 01:43 AM)Artie Wrote:  I have reported this post because I have spent a lot of time answering questions and posts logically and rationally and there's a limit to the abuse I will take.

[Image: jill-greenberg-crying-photoshopped-babie...mes-17.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-04-2014, 02:50 AM
(10-04-2014 01:43 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 01:08 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  How about you just go fuck your own trolling ass with a cactus. You ain't fooling anyone here. Of course there are known troll-ass-licking toadies like D&C, but they are the sad exception here, and the bottom line is that you and your bullshit are not welcome here. Take your bullshit down the road. Since you cant find anything in this life better to do than to troll forums full of people who see right through your pathetic bullshit, I suggest you just kill yourself. Right now.
I have reported this post because I have spent a lot of time answering questions and posts logically and rationally and there's a limit to the abuse I will take.

[Image: Complaint_Department_Grenade.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-04-2014, 03:09 AM
(10-04-2014 02:16 AM)Artie Wrote:  What we I call moral is what I think helps people survive, what we call immoral is what doesn't help people survive. (Murder).
Your opinion, subjective.

Quote:I think that Evolution and natural selection explains why we say helping people is moral and murdering people is immoral. Evolution and natural selection is where we got our morals from.
Evolution and natural selection might very well be where we get our moral sense from, but you're alleging that these morals are somehow *objective*, independent of the person possessing the morals, that there is a *right* and *wrong*. You *further* are claiming to *know* what is *objectively* right or wrong. When challenged with examples, your response is to classify the examples you can explain with your framework as 'evolutionary morals' and those that you can't (suicide) as 'he is ill'.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-04-2014, 03:22 AM
(10-04-2014 03:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Evolution and natural selection might very well be where we get our moral sense from
Good. Then that is settled.
Quote: but you're alleging that these morals are somehow *objective*, independent of the person possessing the morals,
They were produced by the objective process that is evolution by natural selection thus objective. Whether you subjectively think that murder is moral or not doesn't matter, according to the objective process of evolution by natural selection murder is objectively wrong because the objective process selects for those who don't murder. Murder doesn't become moral or immoral depending on what you think. To determine that murder is wrong we look to the objective process of evolution. We are here because people who don't murder have been objectively selected for. Hence murder is objectively wrong.
10-04-2014, 03:59 AM
(09-04-2014 02:14 PM)Artie Wrote:  ...
We are programmed with the survival instinct by evolution. Sometimes the copying of the program from parents to offspring goes wrong. Or consistent bullying, disease or other environmental factors overrides the survival instinct.

Ah! Now I see where you are going wrong? Do you see it too?

Smile

10-04-2014, 04:00 AM
(10-04-2014 03:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 02:14 PM)Artie Wrote:  ...
We are programmed with the survival instinct by evolution. Sometimes the copying of the program from parents to offspring goes wrong. Or consistent bullying, disease or other environmental factors overrides the survival instinct.

Ah! Now I see where you are going wrong? Do you see it too?

Smile
No?
10-04-2014, 04:05 AM
(10-04-2014 03:22 AM)Artie Wrote:  Hence murder is objectively wrong.

And arguing on internet forums is objectively *right*. Carry on. You're still no closer to objective morality. If you redefine 'right' to mean 'in line with evolution' and so forth, then of course. But playing word games using your own definitions still gets you no closer to truth.

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post