Objective Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 07:23 AM
RE: Objective Morality
If God gave you your morality, then how do you judge God to be moral? By the morals he gave you? It looks like a circular argument to me.

"God gave me my morality and I use those morals to judge God as moral."

See what I mean?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 07:29 AM
(09-08-2013 07:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  My morality indicates that you're perfectly allowed to feel all clever. Thumbsup

The only value I can give to his assessment is, of course, my Gwynnies, as I find her "greater than myself." But the atheist in general places similar value on community, backed by, as Logica stated, evolutionary concerns. Subjective morality in such a manner is win, for when the individual believes in right, that individual is capable of any wrong. Where the theist fails is the assumed separation of god from self. No theist believes in an "evil" god.

Sorry to shatter your worldview for a brief second, but I don't believe Gwynnies has a superior moral code than I do. Now, in order to repair at least some of the damage I have done:

[Image: Gwyneth-Paltrow-19.JPG]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
09-08-2013, 07:35 AM
(09-08-2013 07:29 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Sorry to shatter your worldview for a brief second, but I don't believe Gwynnies has a superior moral code than I do.

Forgive my lack of clarity. It is the assumption that she is "sweet and adorable and all-loving" that forms the basis of Gwynnite. Which must be something of my character, but I spend a lot of time being an asshole. Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-08-2013, 09:43 PM
(09-08-2013 07:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Subjective morality in such a manner is win, for when the individual believes in right, that individual is capable of any wrong. Where the theist fails is the assumed separation of god from self. No theist believes in an "evil" god.

Are you saying that without god people can justify anything? It seems to me the believers in god do just that, justify their own actions with scripture, thereby claiming divine warrant for their evils, but labeling them good. Supernatural permission doesn't change the behavior.

Science is dissecting the sacred cow.[Image: smartass.gif]