Objective (secular) ethics: Manifesto

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 02:11 PM
RE: Objective (secular) ethics: Manifesto
(21-04-2015 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 01:41 PM)dimarch Wrote:  They come from man's nature as a free being. To be free is possible only in agreement with others. Those who do not wish to take part in general agreement are choosing violence.

I don't see how any of this follows.

Is this meaning and purpose a part of my nature? A product of darwinian evolution?

Or does it only come about when I enter into some agreement with others?
It is difficult to figure out how humans have acquired free will but free will is what separates us from animals. Life of animals is determined - they have to survive. Humans, on the other hand, at some point in the past became able to select other goals, ie we became free from determinism of survival. Accordingly, we may remain animals and fight each other, or we may choose to be more and more free - but for that we need to communicate and agree with each other, find a compromise a consensus. There are no other options because all our resources are limited.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 02:20 PM
(21-04-2015 02:11 PM)dimarch Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't see how any of this follows.

Is this meaning and purpose a part of my nature? A product of darwinian evolution?

Or does it only come about when I enter into some agreement with others?
It is difficult to figure out how humans have acquired free will but free will is what separates us from animals. Life of animals is determined - they have to survive. Humans, on the other hand, at some point in the past became able to select other goals, ie we became free from determinism of survival. Accordingly, we may remain animals and fight each other, or we may choose to be more and more free - but for that we need to communicate and agree with each other, find a compromise a consensus. There are no other options because all our resources are limited.

So is the goal here to maximize my freedom? Or to maximize the common good?

And are you an atheist?
21-04-2015, 02:27 PM
(21-04-2015 02:08 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 01:05 PM)dimarch Wrote:  And who will free us from a government?

Government has a legitimate function...
Any political, social and other "legitimate" rights should be a result of consensus. To reach such consensus is the purpose of objective ethics.
21-04-2015, 02:32 PM
(21-04-2015 02:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So is the goal here to maximize my freedom? Or to maximize the common good?

And are you an atheist?
I am. The common good is freedom.